PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Blue Screen Of Death Windows 7 - PCWorld Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blue Screen Of Death Windows 7

#1 User is offline   AsaRoyaler1u 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 10-October 10

  Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:30 PM

Here are some details: The error I receive is the blue screen, and it says STOP:0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFD1, (0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000001, 0xFFFFF880010357A3). I have 64-Bit Windows 7 Premium. The laptop mode is the Dell Vostro with 6 gigabytes of RAM. Also, I am unable to get past the startup screen where the windows 7 logo appears. I would really appreciate any help with this. Also, if you know of any way to completely reset the computer to factory setings, I would be interested in knowing. I don't really care about the documents and settings on the laptop as long as I can get it into working condition. I've already tried booting into safe mode, but I still get the Blue Screen. After visiting the Dell support website, I was told to hit F8, and repair my computer to the Dell factory image. I did so successfully, and rebooted. After rebooting I got to the windows first time setup screen, and thereafter got the BSOD once again. I would be interested in any way to get rid of this problem. Also, if anyone knows of a way to physically press something like a reset button, please write so.
0

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 20,651
  • Joined: 02-April 07
  • Location:Henrico, Va.

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:29 PM

Hi. If you want to take the computer back to factory settings you would need to use the Recovery disk. They don't come with the computer you have to make them and hopefully you did. If not, you maybe able to get them from Dell. You put the Recovery Disk in the drive and then restart. Some computers will automaticlly boot to the disk, but in other cases you have to got to the boot menu and select the DVD/CD drive.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS




______________________________________________________________

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.
1

#3 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,611
  • Joined: 16-October 06

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:18 AM

Hi, AsaRoyaler1u.

It looks to me as if you have already successfully restored your PC to its factory settings, but that that didn't solve the problem.

I therefore suspect that your problem isn't with Windows, but with the hardware. My guess, and this is only a guess, is that you've got some flawed RAM in that machine. You should have a professional check it out.

Is it still under warranty?

Lincoln
1

#4 User is offline   AsaRoyaler1u 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 10-October 10

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:18 PM

Yes, I have a three-year warranty that expires in 2013.

View PostLincolnSpector, on 06 December 2010 - 08:18 AM, said:

Hi, AsaRoyaler1u.

It looks to me as if you have already successfully restored your PC to its factory settings, but that that didn't solve the problem.

I therefore suspect that your problem isn't with Windows, but with the hardware. My guess, and this is only a guess, is that you've got some flawed RAM in that machine. You should have a professional check it out.

Is it still under warranty?

Lincoln

0

#5 User is offline   AsaRoyaler1u 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 10-October 10

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:20 PM

Coastie... Do I need to call Dell, and request the discs, or ship my computer to them?

Thanks for the help

View Postcoastie65, on 05 December 2010 - 06:29 PM, said:

Hi. If you want to take the computer back to factory settings you would need to use the Recovery disk. They don't come with the computer you have to make them and hopefully you did. If not, you maybe able to get them from Dell. You put the Recovery Disk in the drive and then restart. Some computers will automaticlly boot to the disk, but in other cases you have to got to the boot menu and select the DVD/CD drive.

0

#6 User is offline   coastie65 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 20,651
  • Joined: 02-April 07
  • Location:Henrico, Va.

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:41 PM

View PostAsaRoyaler1u, on 06 December 2010 - 01:20 PM, said:

Coastie... Do I need to call Dell, and request the discs, or ship my computer to them?

Thanks for the help

View Postcoastie65, on 05 December 2010 - 06:29 PM, said:

Hi. If you want to take the computer back to factory settings you would need to use the Recovery disk. They don't come with the computer you have to make them and hopefully you did. If not, you maybe able to get them from Dell. You put the Recovery Disk in the drive and then restart. Some computers will automaticlly boot to the disk, but in other cases you have to got to the boot menu and select the DVD/CD drive.



Yeah, you'll have to call Dell if you want recovery disks and are unable to make them. For older computers where the Manufacturer no longer has them, you may be able to get them from www.restoredisks.com.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS




______________________________________________________________

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.
0

#7 User is offline   coastie65 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 20,651
  • Joined: 02-April 07
  • Location:Henrico, Va.

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:48 PM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 06 December 2010 - 08:18 AM, said:

Hi, AsaRoyaler1u.

It looks to me as if you have already successfully restored your PC to its factory settings, but that that didn't solve the problem.

I therefore suspect that your problem isn't with Windows, but with the hardware. My guess, and this is only a guess, is that you've got some flawed RAM in that machine. You should have a professional check it out.

Is it still under warranty?

Lincoln


Hey Lincoln, Although the reference numbers were a bit too long and it took me a while to work through that, I found some indications online that it could be malware, but not really sure as all the references were to servers. I didn't find anything relating to hardware, but that is not say that couldn't be the case. Doing a full recovery would ceratinly eliminate the Malware aspect and throw it back into the Hardware realm.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS




______________________________________________________________

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.
0

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

  • Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12,210
  • Joined: 31-December 09
  • Location:::1

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:06 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 06 December 2010 - 04:48 PM, said:

View PostLincolnSpector, on 06 December 2010 - 08:18 AM, said:

Hi, AsaRoyaler1u.

It looks to me as if you have already successfully restored your PC to its factory settings, but that that didn't solve the problem.

I therefore suspect that your problem isn't with Windows, but with the hardware. My guess, and this is only a guess, is that you've got some flawed RAM in that machine. You should have a professional check it out.

Is it still under warranty?

Lincoln


Hey Lincoln, Although the reference numbers were a bit too long and it took me a while to work through that, I found some indications online that it could be malware, but not really sure as all the references were to servers. I didn't find anything relating to hardware, but that is not say that couldn't be the case. Doing a full recovery would ceratinly eliminate the Malware aspect and throw it back into the Hardware realm.


A recovery partition should do the same thing as recovery DVDs from Dell - unless malware infected it. And remember that the OP already tried the recovery partition but the problem kept up. You could try updating drivers, but since the image already has those, that's likely not the problem. Your best bet is likely to send it to Dell under warranty.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?
0

#9 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,611
  • Joined: 16-October 06

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:41 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 06 December 2010 - 07:06 PM, said:

A recovery partition should do the same thing as recovery DVDs from Dell - unless malware infected it. And remember that the OP already tried the recovery partition but the problem kept up. You could try updating drivers, but since the image already has those, that's likely not the problem. Your best bet is likely to send it to Dell under warranty.

I'm in complete agreement with Brian on this. A recovery from a disc isn't going to do anything that one from a partition couldn't do.

There are malicious programs that can survive a reinstall, but not many. And they're not going to crash your hard drive on booting. Malware doesn't do that because there's no money in it. There's far more profit in malware that quietly steals your credit card numbers and uses your computer as part of a botnet.

Lincoln


0

#10 User is offline   coastie65 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 20,651
  • Joined: 02-April 07
  • Location:Henrico, Va.

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:00 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 07 December 2010 - 08:41 AM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 06 December 2010 - 07:06 PM, said:

A recovery partition should do the same thing as recovery DVDs from Dell - unless malware infected it. And remember that the OP already tried the recovery partition but the problem kept up. You could try updating drivers, but since the image already has those, that's likely not the problem. Your best bet is likely to send it to Dell under warranty.

I'm in complete agreement with Brian on this. A recovery from a disc isn't going to do anything that one from a partition couldn't do.

There are malicious programs that can survive a reinstall, but not many. And they're not going to crash your hard drive on booting. Malware doesn't do that because there's no money in it. There's far more profit in malware that quietly steals your credit card numbers and uses your computer as part of a botnet.

Lincoln




I agree that if it is under warranty then he should take advantage of that fact and use it. The one time I did that, I didn't fare too well though and lost my recovery partition and the ability to make recovery disks. I'm definitely not thinking Hdd though as usually with that, you'll get one of two things. Either it will hang at the Manufacturer's splash screen, or progress to the next screen which is black with the a flashing cursor in the upper left corner and hang without booting. There is some malware out there that will totally screw your PC without any monetary motives as well, just being malicious.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS




______________________________________________________________

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.
0

#11 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,611
  • Joined: 16-October 06

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:04 AM

View Postcoastie65, on 07 December 2010 - 09:00 AM, said:

I agree that if it is under warranty then he should take advantage of that fact and use it. The one time I did that, I didn't fare too well though and lost my recovery partition and the ability to make recovery disks. I'm definitely not thinking Hdd though as usually with that, you'll get one of two things. Either it will hang at the Manufacturer's splash screen, or progress to the next screen which is black with the a flashing cursor in the upper left corner and hang without booting. There is some malware out there that will totally screw your PC without any monetary motives as well, just being malicious.


I haven't heard of anything like this in many, many years. And even then, they didn't do it immediately; such a program wouldn't be able to reinfect other computers.

Of course, a badly-written trojan might do this unintentionally, but so might a badly-written driver.

Overall, people are much too willing to blame any computer problem on a "virus," when the actual problems caused by malware are rarely visible.

Lincoln
0

#12 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,611
  • Joined: 16-October 06

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:25 AM

View Postcoastie65, on 07 December 2010 - 09:00 AM, said:

There is some malware out there that will totally screw your PC without any monetary motives as well, just being malicious.

I decided to look deeper into this. I checked with Bruce Schneier (a leading security expert), as well as contacts at Symantec and Trend Micro. They all agreed that malware that intentionally ruins your computer is pretty much passe. Infecting computers is a business these days, and there's no profit in an infected computer that won't boot.

Which isn't to say that malware can't render a PC unbootable accidentally. Early this year, a Windows security patch rendered PCs infected with Backdoor.Tidserv unbootable.

Lincoln


0

#13 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

  • Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12,210
  • Joined: 31-December 09
  • Location:::1

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:38 PM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 07 December 2010 - 08:41 AM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 06 December 2010 - 07:06 PM, said:

A recovery partition should do the same thing as recovery DVDs from Dell - unless malware infected it. And remember that the OP already tried the recovery partition but the problem kept up. You could try updating drivers, but since the image already has those, that's likely not the problem. Your best bet is likely to send it to Dell under warranty.

I'm in complete agreement with Brian on this. A recovery from a disc isn't going to do anything that one from a partition couldn't do.

There are malicious programs that can survive a reinstall, but not many. And they're not going to crash your hard drive on booting. Malware doesn't do that because there's no money in it. There's far more profit in malware that quietly steals your credit card numbers and uses your computer as part of a botnet.

Lincoln




Is this part of the MBR thing (that was mentioned on a thread I started a while ago)?
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?
0

#14 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,611
  • Joined: 16-October 06

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:36 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 15 December 2010 - 12:38 PM, said:

View PostLincolnSpector, on 07 December 2010 - 08:41 AM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 06 December 2010 - 07:06 PM, said:

A recovery partition should do the same thing as recovery DVDs from Dell - unless malware infected it. And remember that the OP already tried the recovery partition but the problem kept up. You could try updating drivers, but since the image already has those, that's likely not the problem. Your best bet is likely to send it to Dell under warranty.

I'm in complete agreement with Brian on this. A recovery from a disc isn't going to do anything that one from a partition couldn't do.

There are malicious programs that can survive a reinstall, but not many. And they're not going to crash your hard drive on booting. Malware doesn't do that because there's no money in it. There's far more profit in malware that quietly steals your credit card numbers and uses your computer as part of a botnet.

Lincoln




Is this part of the MBR thing (that was mentioned on a thread I started a while ago)?

I'm not sure what MBR thing you're referring to, Brian.

Lincoln


0

#15 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

  • Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12,210
  • Joined: 31-December 09
  • Location:::1

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 16 December 2010 - 08:36 AM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 15 December 2010 - 12:38 PM, said:

View PostLincolnSpector, on 07 December 2010 - 08:41 AM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 06 December 2010 - 07:06 PM, said:

A recovery partition should do the same thing as recovery DVDs from Dell - unless malware infected it. And remember that the OP already tried the recovery partition but the problem kept up. You could try updating drivers, but since the image already has those, that's likely not the problem. Your best bet is likely to send it to Dell under warranty.

I'm in complete agreement with Brian on this. A recovery from a disc isn't going to do anything that one from a partition couldn't do.

There are malicious programs that can survive a reinstall, but not many. And they're not going to crash your hard drive on booting. Malware doesn't do that because there's no money in it. There's far more profit in malware that quietly steals your credit card numbers and uses your computer as part of a botnet.

Lincoln




Is this part of the MBR thing (that was mentioned on a thread I started a while ago)?

I'm not sure what MBR thing you're referring to, Brian.

Lincoln




I mean malware infecting the HDD MBR and coming back after a reinstall. See this.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?
0

#16 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,611
  • Joined: 16-October 06

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:59 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 16 December 2010 - 12:22 PM, said:

I mean malware infecting the HDD MBR and coming back after a reinstall. See this.

I don't see why everyone is assuming this is malware. The computer gets a BSoD when it boots--that pretty much means a hardware problem or a driver problem. He restores his PC to factory condition, and the problem remains.

That's a hardware problem.

Lincoln


0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users