Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Images In Emails Do Not Load email

#1 User is online   wbschmidt 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:51 AM

A certain number of emails I receive have images, but they do not load in the email client or browser. I have asked Earthlink tech support about this, but the only answer I have got is that it has something to do with the images being inline or attachements. But, the tech support person couldn't explain what the difference is in the two.
One of the characteristics of some of these messages is that they have an attachment with the file name similar to: ATT000008.htm. The images included do not appear, and have filenames which begin with cid:
One really strange aspect of this is that, with respect to one person who sends these messages, if I reply to his message and he then replies to my reply, I can see the images.
Does anyone know what is going on here?

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:54 AM

View Postwbschmidt, on 02 January 2011 - 09:51 AM, said:

A certain number of emails I receive have images, but they do not load in the email client or browser. I have asked Earthlink tech support about this, but the only answer I have got is that it has something to do with the images being inline or attachements. But, the tech support person couldn't explain what the difference is in the two.
One of the characteristics of some of these messages is that they have an attachment with the file name similar to: ATT000008.htm. The images included do not appear, and have filenames which begin with cid:
One really strange aspect of this is that, with respect to one person who sends these messages, if I reply to his message and he then replies to my reply, I can see the images.
Does anyone know what is going on here?

Hi, WB.

Could you tell us what mail client and operating system you're using?

Lincoln

#3 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

Tell us your email client (the OS doesn't matter as much) and we'll go from there.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#4 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

An attachment is a file you need to explicitly download. An inline image is like the ones found around this forum. You didn't specifically download each individual image; they are apart of the whole web page.

Emails aren't just for text anymore. They've become filled with rich content like fancy graphics and look more like a web page than a simple message. Because they are rich in content, there is potential for something malicious to be inserted in the mail. Email clients and web-based accounts automatically block inline images from downloading. When you load one of those emails, you should see a message right above the email asking whether to allow the download of the inline images. Optionally, you can set the sender to your contacts list and that should disable the automatic blocking of inline images from that sender in the future.

I'm guessing the scenario you presented acts similar to adding them as a contact. Your email client or web-mail assumes that because you're going back and forth with that person, you consider the emails they send to be safe, so they're no longer being blocked during the conversation.
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.

#5 User is offline   Szczecinianin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:34 AM

Hi, inline attachments are those that are A PART of an e-mail, while usually it's message + attachment(s). Clients such as Eudora and Pegasus Mail support them. I used to have Eudora and still keep Pegasus. It's a good app, with i.a. powerful filters and you can set sending inline attachments (checkbox). It also happens when your client does not support some image formats. With those most common, JPEG/BMP/TIFF, you should have no problems. And have you tried another client?

This post has been edited by Szczecinianin: 01 February 2011 - 03:42 AM

#6 User is offline   Evildave 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

Might be a 'privacy' setting, either on your email cleint, or on their web page, that's blocking images, too (i.e. so people who send out spam don't automatically get 'hits' because your email client doesn't download the image (with the extra crap on the end of the link) which automatically identifies your email address as 'good', and valuable, because now they have a specific target with a live human to pour a terabyte of spam at, every day.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users