• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Browser Preventing New Url For Ebay Sign In

#1 User is offline   Janisum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:15 AM

This is really a weird issue but when I go to sign into my ebay I will get a quick flash of a error which I can't read fully but it's something about "browser settings preventing direction to new URL" or something like that. I can't get the couple words in between. I try to sign in and I keep getting sent back to the sign in page. When I key in a new search for ebay I can get in and it says I'm signed in but when I try to do anything in there, I have to sign in again as if I'm not already and I get the error again. Can someome please help me with this. It's really stressing me out and have a seller who needs paid. Ebay couldn't help me any with this issue. I had this happen last night too. I have WIN7 running I.E.8. I have a HP slimline that is only 6 motnhs old. Thanks so very much
Janisum

#2 User is offline   Car54 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

Have you updated your AV and run a scan?
Try also Malwarebytes and see if it comes up with anything. http://www.malwarebytes.org/

edit: maybe also try accessing the site from FireFox and see what happens?

This post has been edited by Car54: 03 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

#3 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

I'm not trying to sway you permanently, but because you have important business that needs tending, I suggest you at least temporarily use an alternate web browser like Firefox, Chrome, or Opera.

Edit: This is what happens when I don't reload a tab before posting. Car54 beat me to it.

This post has been edited by AgentF: 03 January 2011 - 11:52 AM

Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.

#4 User is offline   Car54 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:58 AM

lol, I saw you down there, Users Reading Topic... :D

Janisum, don't let my little banter with AgentF dishearten you, I, we, are concerned for your issue. Please let us know what you find as far as your scans, or your web browser alternative results. :)

This post has been edited by Car54: 03 January 2011 - 12:39 PM

#5 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:35 PM

View PostJanisum, on 03 January 2011 - 10:15 AM, said:

This is really a weird issue but when I go to sign into my ebay I will get a quick flash of a error which I can't read fully but it's something about "browser settings preventing direction to new URL" or something like that. I can't get the couple words in between. I try to sign in and I keep getting sent back to the sign in page. When I key in a new search for ebay I can get in and it says I'm signed in but when I try to do anything in there, I have to sign in again as if I'm not already and I get the error again. Can someome please help me with this. It's really stressing me out and have a seller who needs paid. Ebay couldn't help me any with this issue. I had this happen last night too. I have WIN7 running I.E.8. I have a HP slimline that is only 6 motnhs old. Thanks so very much

I do recommend both Car54 and AgentF's tips

Firefox is a safer and more secure browser and my personal favorite among the bunch.

Sounds like your problem is a proxy injection/redirect from a little bug/virus
(run malwarebytes)

And then reset IE8- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Even the experts started out as beginners

#6 User is offline   bcappel 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

I've had this happen a few times before due to a corrupt cookie. Try clearing your cookies and log in again.
Lemon Wacky Hello

#7 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

Google Chrome is one I recommend trying. It's faster than Firefox, but Firefox seems to load things correctly a little bit more of the time. IE is definitely the worst though.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#8 User is offline   Janisum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:12 AM

Again.. I thank you all for your help. I did download the malaware but the name is "advanced registry optimizer". It found close to 400 or more errors. Did I download the right program? It didn't find any malware that I know of. Do I purchase a license to keep me safe? Should I rid my system of I.E. since I'm not having good luck with that and if I do will I loose programs, etc.. if I install Firefox permanetly? I'm so naive to all this. I apologize for that. I also wanted to ask about a program I have installed several times and should I delete some of them? The programs are Microsoft Visual+2008 Redistributable x84,
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""x 86 and I have 2 of each of these. also
I have a 2005 and a 2005 x64. Also I have
a 2005 ATL update x6 and a x8. I know I didn't type these as I should have but they all are the Microsoft Visual Redistributable. It's really hard to know what programs I want to keep and what I use because so many were installed with this Win7 version. With all the errors this advanced registry optimizer found do I have a serious problem? Sorry for all all the mumble jumble questions but they came up and figured I was better to ask and look dumb than to not. Thanks alot again.. guys.. Janisum
Janisum

#9 User is offline   Car54 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

Janisum,

Your welcome, and thanks for getting back to us :) I'm not sure what happened in downloading Advanced Registry Optimizer, but I rechecked my link from post #2, and it is the correct site for the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware download, and it is a free software. I could have gone into more a a discussion about it, and I wrongfully assumed that you may have known about it, my apologies. Hopefully it wasn't a IE web page re-direct, thus we do need to do a scan.

Do not do any clean up with the Registry Cleaner, and until you could give me a link to it, I would uninstall it. It will only bring you more harm than good. That program will not keep you safe, a good real time AntiVirus, Malwarebytes as a scan every so often (another good option, SuperAntiSpyware) safe browsing habits with an additional web browsing anti phishing protection (Norton's Safe Web Lite is my favorite) a good Firewall, is what helps keep us safe :)

No problem on your learning curve, as I'm always learning too :)

Please download and install Firefox for now, and leave IE on your PC, these will not conflict with each other, as they run independently of each other, "on demand". You will not lose any programs, as we are not uninstalling IE. On the install it will ask you if you want it to import your Favorites from IE, allow that, this will help you to have those install with FireFox. After install, and clicking on the FF desktop shortcut icon, it will ask you if you want it do be your default browser, for now click yes, and I will follow up with the quick way to revert back to IE if you decide to change your mind in the future. Then, come back here and click on the link to Malwarebytes AntiMalware's site, download it (free version) update it, and run a full scan, and we'll go from there. :)

This post has been edited by Car54: 04 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

#10 User is offline   Janisum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:34 PM

View PostCar54, on 04 January 2011 - 12:07 PM, said:

Janisum,

Your welcome, and thanks for getting back to us :) I'm not sure what happened in downloading Advanced Registry Optimizer, but I rechecked my link from post #2, and it is the correct site for the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware download, and it is a free software. I could have gone into more a a discussion about it, and I wrongfully assumed that you may have known about it, my apologies. Hopefully it wasn't a IE web page re-direct, thus we do need to do a scan.

Do not do any clean up with the Registry Cleaner, and until you could give me a link to it, I would uninstall it. It will only bring you more harm than good. That program will not keep you safe, a good real time AntiVirus, Malwarebytes as a scan every so often (another good option, SuperAntiSpyware) safe browsing habits with an additional web browsing anti phishing protection (Norton's Safe Web Lite is my favorite) a good Firewall, is what helps keep us safe :)

Please download and install Firefox for now, and leave IE on your PC, these will not conflict with each other, as they run independently of each other, "on demand". You will not lose any programs, as we are not uninstalling IE. On the install it will ask you if you want it to import your Favorites from IE, allow that, this will help you to have those install with FireFox. After install, and clicking on the FF desktop shortcut icon, it will ask you if you want it do be your default browser, for now click yes, and I will follow up with the quick way to revert back to IE if you decide to change your mind in the future. Then, come back here and click on the link to Malwarebytes AntiMalware's site, download it (free version) update it, and run a full scan, and we'll go from there. :)

Thanks again. I did let that program remove several problems,"so it said". Should I try and back up my files or what? I should have known better. I just never think it can be a bad link with a bad browser. I have a subscription for Kaspersky and it usually catches things. I'll do as you said in your last response. And many many thanks again
Janisum

#11 User is offline   Car54 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

Your welcome :)

If it has a restore option, I would restore the registry keys it deleted. Then leave it for now, until you run Firefox, and download and run Malwarebytes. I'm glad you have a good AV, yet for now lets do the FF and Malwarebytes steps :)

edit: To have done a back up, System Restore, would have been done before a registry "clean up". Firefox and Malwarebytes are very well known and minimally invasive, you don't need to back up files, but if you want to create a system Restore point, that's ok.

This post has been edited by Car54: 04 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

#12 User is offline   Janisum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

Thanks again. I did let that program remove several problems,"so it said". Should I try and back up my files or what? I should have known better. I just never think it can be a bad link with a bad browser. I have a subscription for Kaspersky and it usually catches things. I'll do as you said in your last response. I don't have a link to give you for the ARC. In the properties it just has MemoTurbo-PCOptimizer.INK and it also installed a Check PC for Errors.INK. 2 programs. I'll get to work on this and get back with you. Thanks again
Janisum

#13 User is offline   Car54 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

Did you get those programs from here, it looks like both of them are listed here?

http://download.cnet...4-10536277.html

#14 User is offline   Janisum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

View PostJanisum, on 04 January 2011 - 03:34 PM, said:

View PostCar54, on 04 January 2011 - 12:07 PM, said:

Janisum,

Thanks again. I did let that program remove several problems,"so it said". Should I try and back up my files or what? I should have known better. I just never think it can be a bad link with a bad browser. I have a subscription for Kaspersky and it usually catches things. I'll do as you said in your last response. And many many thanks again

http://www.techspot....8292a3fc06e555. This is the link that comes up when I try and download with IE.
Janisum

#15 User is offline   Car54 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

From my link I provided?...wow, interesting. Try the Firefox download link.

edit: That is not the Official Malwarebytes web page, FYI

This post has been edited by Car54: 04 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

#16 User is offline   Car54 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

Janisum,

Here is what the official Malwarebytes web page looks like, as that link you provided from my link, was a IE re-direction (see also the web page address bar):

http://i240.photobuc...alwarebytes.png

This post has been edited by Car54: 04 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

#17 User is offline   Janisum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

View PostCar54, on 04 January 2011 - 03:47 PM, said:

Did you get those programs from here, it looks like both of them are listed here?

http://download.cnet...4-10536277.html

No this wasn't the link. The page looked exactly like the one you just showed but then it took me to another page. I'll try and download it now as I have firefox installed
Janisum

#18 User is offline   Car54 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

Super, good job Janisum, you're hanging in there well :)

#19 User is offline   Janisum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

Car54, Thanks for the inspiration. I needed it. I now have firefox and it seems to be working ok except this morning I got a message that Silverlight plugin crashed. What would do this and should I send a report to firefox? I never know when to trust on the internet. I just ran a complete antivirus scan and it didn't find anything. Kaspersky, that is. I did have a problem downloading malaware. Can't seem to find it on my computer. Everything else is ok. I just appreciate your help more than you can know. It takes time out of your schedule to help others and that's a cool thing to do. Janisum
Janisum

#20 User is offline   Car54 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:28 AM

Hi Janisum, you're welcome, and again, thank you for the kind words :)

I may be out of the loop on this one, but I don't think Firefox, upon download comes standard with Silverlight, that is an add on you have to download and install as far as I know. http://www.microsoft...t.aspx#instruct Here is a photo of a FF crash report, just so you know it's valid and from them. Also, FF can have sporadic issues with crashes depending on how many add ons you have and if those add ons are stable and keeping up with FF Updates , and also as a major change takes place and they tweak it to accommodate the upcoming changes, i.e. a new OS ( Vista-7), or a new FF version, the upcoming FF4.

http://i240.photobuc...sh-reporter.png

As far as where your downloaded file is, Firefox default download location is Downloads, (or Desktop), as it's been so long since I installed it, so check your Windows Start menu, click the Download option (or Desktop), and it should be there.

This is what the Malwarebytes AntiMalware file looks like, and if you noticed that when you went to their website, you were directed to cnet Downloads, that was not a malicious web page redirection, that is their download link, just so you know :)

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Car54: 05 January 2011 - 09:04 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users