Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hdmi Sound Output Shuts Off

#1 User is offline   mvd7793 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

Hello! I have my Dell laptop (studio XPS 1645) with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 hooked up via HDMI to a LG E2360 monitor. I'm using the ATI HDMI Output driver installed to put audio to the monitor, where I have a set of bose speakers plugged in with a 3.5mm jack. The problem is that when the monitor goes into "Power Save mode", the speakers shut off and the music playing goes back through my laptop's speakers. Is there some way to still allow the monitor to shut off while keeping the sound going? (I realize I can plug in the 3.5mm jack straight to the computer. This is easier because I remove my laptop frequently.)

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

View Postmvd7793, on 15 January 2011 - 12:34 PM, said:

Hello! I have my Dell laptop (studio XPS 1645) with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 hooked up via HDMI to a LG E2360 monitor. I'm using the ATI HDMI Output driver installed to put audio to the monitor, where I have a set of bose speakers plugged in with a 3.5mm jack. The problem is that when the monitor goes into "Power Save mode", the speakers shut off and the music playing goes back through my laptop's speakers. Is there some way to still allow the monitor to shut off while keeping the sound going? (I realize I can plug in the 3.5mm jack straight to the computer. This is easier because I remove my laptop frequently.)

Thanks!

I did some googling, and it looks like you may be out of luck. It appears that HDMI requires power to the monitor for sound, since sound and video data are on the same cable.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#3 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

I have an HP dv2043 laptop and periodically connect it to HDMI connection for playing video with sound over building wiring at a training center. When I connect, the default is the HDMI, and it works find. When I disconnect, the sound goes back to the analog speakers unitl I connect again.

It seems to me that when the monitor goes to sleep, it turns of the active power to the monitor, and therefore the system picks up that the monitor is not active and shifts the sound. The key is what happens when you wake up the monitor. Does the sound go back to the monitor via the HDMI?
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   mvd7793 

• PipPip

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:14 PM

View Postrgreen4, on 18 January 2011 - 06:09 PM, said:

I have an HP dv2043 laptop and periodically connect it to HDMI connection for playing video with sound over building wiring at a training center. When I connect, the default is the HDMI, and it works find. When I disconnect, the sound goes back to the analog speakers unitl I connect again.

It seems to me that when the monitor goes to sleep, it turns of the active power to the monitor, and therefore the system picks up that the monitor is not active and shifts the sound. The key is what happens when you wake up the monitor. Does the sound go back to the monitor via the HDMI?

Yes, the sound does immediately go back to the monitor.

#5 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:15 AM

Your problem then is not the PC, but the monitor. You have several options - 1) set the monitor so it does not go into standby, 2) use the analog plug on the laptop for the speakers or 3) see if Dell offers a "docking adapter" so that all the desktop connections go through a special plug. HP has a special plug on the side for all desktop connections that attach to a breakout box. Then all you have to do is disconnect that single plug and leave everything behind - monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers and AC connection..

This post has been edited by rgreen4: 19 January 2011 - 04:19 AM

Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users