Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adding Hdmi Port To Desktop Adding HDMI port to desktop

#1 User is offline   srini2109 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

I am trying to add a hdmi port for my desktop so I can connect to my hd tv. Is there anything out there?
My pc is HP Pavilion a6130n PC, please help.

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:18 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. Adding an HDMI port is as easy as adding a dedicated video card that has one. If You have a PCIe x16 slot, it shouldn't be a problem, An ati ( AMD ) HD Card has an HDMI port or two as well as DVI for example.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• Group: Members

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

View Postsrini2109, on 17 January 2011 - 02:09 PM, said:

I am trying to add a hdmi port for my desktop so I can connect to my hd tv. Is there anything out there?

Depending on your TV, you may not need to add an HDMI port to the computer in order to connect it to your HDTV. From the HP site, it appears that your computer has integrated graphics with a VGA port. Some HDTVs have VGA ports on them that allow a computer to be connected to the HDTV. If your TV had this option, then you should be able to hook your computer to the TV with no additional hardware.

If your HDTV does not have VGA port, then as previously noted it would as simple as purchasing and installing a dedicated video card with a HDMI or DVI (you can use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect a DVI port on your computer to an HDMI port on your TV) port. According to the HP website, you do have a PCI x16 slot, so this option should work just fine.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

View Postsrini2109, on 17 January 2011 - 02:09 PM, said:

Adding a PCI-E card is an option, but another is simply buying a DVI>HDMI adapter (note: DVI doesn't have audio, so you'll need a separate cable for audio, even though HDMI carries audio).

Most HDTVs do not have DVI ports. A very viable option (though I'm not sure if it can do 1080p resolution) is to use a VGA cable - I can't tell the difference between a digital DVI connection and a high-quality analog VGA connection.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#5 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 17 January 2011 - 09:52 PM, said:

Adding a PCI-E card is an option, but another is simply buying a DVI>HDMI adapter (note: DVI doesn't have audio, so you'll need a separate cable for audio, even though HDMI carries audio).

There are also DVI to HDMI converters that will allow you to "add" digital audio output from the computer to the HDMI connection.

I should note that going with a DVI option might not be an option for the original poster, at least without adding a new graphics card with DVI ports, as it appears the computer he listed only has VGA output...at least according to the HP website.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#6 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

View Postsmax013, on 20 January 2011 - 08:28 PM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 17 January 2011 - 09:52 PM, said:

There are also DVI to HDMI converters that will allow you to "add" digital audio output from the computer to the HDMI connection.

I should note that going with a DVI option might not be an option for the original poster, at least without adding a new graphics card with DVI ports, as it appears the computer he listed only has VGA output...at least according to the HP website.

Yeah remember that they often offer upgrades on the graphics card when you customize the PC before ordering, and he might have one of those upgrades.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#7 User is offline   whisky 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:38 PM

Hi,this post is what i am trying to do with my pc,but i looked at the back of pc and i have what i believe is dvi port,but it only has 24pins in one group then 4pins in another
with a cross in it, mycablemart says it maybe a dvi-m2,theirs has 30pins. I put a NIVIDIA GeFORCE 7300GS card in pc at the time i did this hdmi was not on my mind so
either i have to go vga or go to NIVIDIA and see if they have something that get me hdmi any ideas,thanks

#8 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:57 AM

Hey Whisky, you need to get a video card that has an HDMI Port. Yeah, what you describe is DVI. ATI HD5770 has HDMI Output. Just make sre you have enough PSU for the card.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#9 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:52 PM

View Postwhisky, on 02 April 2011 - 05:38 PM, said:

Hi,this post is what i am trying to do with my pc,but i looked at the back of pc and i have what i believe is dvi port,but it only has 24pins in one group then 4pins in another
with a cross in it, mycablemart says it maybe a dvi-m2,theirs has 30pins. I put a NIVIDIA GeFORCE 7300GS card in pc at the time i did this hdmi was not on my mind so
either i have to go vga or go to NIVIDIA and see if they have something that get me hdmi any ideas,thanks

You should be able to use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect the computer to an HDMI port on a HDTV is that is what you are after. Now, it will NOT send audio to the HDMI port. You will have to use a separate audio line to get audio to the HDTV (many HDTVs have an HDMI port that has an "associated" audio input).

If you want audio through the HDMI port, then you will need a "converter" along the lines of this:

http://www.newegg.co...0-370-_-Product
Good riddance PCWorld.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users