PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: How Do I Download A Netflix Movie To A Hard Drive - PCWorld Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Do I Download A Netflix Movie To A Hard Drive Downloading Streaming Movies to a Hard Drive

#1 User is offline   alberio13 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

Is there a software for downloading streaming movies to ones hard drive??

#2 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:56 AM

View Postalberio13, on 17 January 2011 - 04:00 PM, said:

To the best of my knowledge there is no legal way to do that. I think it would be comparable to bypassing copy protection to rip a commercial movie DVD.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#3 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:00 AM

View Postalberio13, on 17 January 2011 - 04:00 PM, said:

Hi, Alberio, and welcome to the forums.

Simply put: You don't. The movies available on Netflix' on-demand service are there for streaming. Neither Netflix nor the movies' copyright holders want to give you a permanent copy of your own.

Lincoln

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

I've heard of ways, but Netflix shutdown their accounts. You can search for it if you want, but I'd recommend not doing it.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#5 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

On top of that, when I talked to Netflix about this some months ago, you had to have Silverlight installed in order to use their streaming. Or you can use an internet connected BD player to play the on-demand video. Either way, they really don't want you to copy the protected media.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Dellinsp531 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:37 AM

You can use a screen capture program like Camstudio to record the show. It is not the same as download but it works.
"Windows 8 had the most vulnerabilities, at 156, but.... "
vulnerabilites rose in 2013, security firm finds

Windows 8 is a useless OS that Microsoft released that has many flaws and bugs. DO NOT USE IT. Use Windows XP or Windows 7.
Downgrading from Windows 8 to 7: What you need to know

German Agency Warns Windows 8 Pcs Vulnerable To Cyberthreats

Former Microsoft privacy adviser: 'I don't trust Microsoft now'

Other laptops that I had in the past:

(Why were my sign removed? Please let me know.)

#7 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:05 PM

View PostDellinsp531, on 15 September 2011 - 04:37 AM, said:

You can use a screen capture program like Camstudio to record the show. It is not the same as download but it works.

That's like bringing a camcorder into a movie theater. Illegal, and they'll hate you for that.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   Dellinsp531 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:36 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 15 September 2011 - 04:05 PM, said:

That's like bringing a camcorder into a movie theater. Illegal, and they'll hate you for that.

Only if they find out. How is netflix going to find out that you have a screen captute running?

Windows 8 is a useless OS that Microsoft released that has many flaws and bugs. DO NOT USE IT. Use Windows XP or Windows 7.

#9 User is offline   nonseq 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:01 AM

View PostDellinsp531, on 16 September 2011 - 04:36 AM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 15 September 2011 - 04:05 PM, said:

Only if they find out. How is netflix going to find out that you have a screen captute running?

So your moral position is that anything you do is OK if you don't get caught?

This post has been edited by nonseq: 16 September 2011 - 06:02 AM

#10 User is offline   Dellinsp531 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:59 AM

View Postnonseq, on 16 September 2011 - 06:01 AM, said:

My moral position is that bits and bytes have no value ($$$).

This post has been edited by Dellinsp531: 16 September 2011 - 08:00 AM

#11 User is offline   nonseq 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:04 AM

View PostDellinsp531, on 16 September 2011 - 07:59 AM, said:

My moral position is that bits and bytes have no value ($$$).

And, in your mind, nor does IP and Creative Effort. Dude/dudette- it's stealing. I imagine that you have never had any of your bits or bytes stolen or pirated.

#12 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

View Postnonseq, on 16 September 2011 - 08:04 AM, said:

View PostDellinsp531, on 16 September 2011 - 07:59 AM, said:

My moral position is that bits and bytes have no value ($$).

And, in your mind, nor does IP and Creative Effort. Dude/dudette- it's stealing. I imagine that you have never had any of your bits or bytes stolen or pirated.

Those bits and bytes took time and money to make. In that case, your IP is of no value. Oh wait, the RIAA just used it to track you down and sue you for thousands of dollars for a few illegally downloaded mp3s. Not likely, but still possible.
Spoiler

#13 User is offline   Dellinsp531 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:27 AM

No, it is not stealing. You can not steal air nor bits and bytes. I never had it stolen because I give it away in open source communities. I add lines of code to repositories for open source to fix the bits and bytes.

View PostLiveBrianD, on 16 September 2011 - 03:16 PM, said:

Those bits and bytes took time and money to make. In that case, your IP is of no value. Oh wait, the RIAA just used it to track you down and sue you for thousands of dollars for a few illegally downloaded mp3s. Not likely, but still possible.

Well open source took time to make and no one charges for them.

#14 User is offline   nonseq 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:21 AM

View PostDellinsp531, on 17 September 2011 - 06:27 AM, said:

No, it is not stealing. You can not steal air nor bits and bytes. I never had it stolen because I give it away in open source communities. I add lines of code to repositories for open source to fix the bits and bytes.

View PostLiveBrianD, on 16 September 2011 - 03:16 PM, said:

Well open source took time to make and no one charges for them.

You have no concept of intellectual property or creative effort. It is stealing. Common theft by a common thief. It's probably good that you haven't or won't ever create a digital product that others can steal from you. Your bits and bytes argument is pure sophistry. Childish.

BTW the courts have never upheld that mindless drivel.

#15 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

People who make opensource software do NOT intend to make money off it, they're giving it away. Most companies DO intend to make money off it, you are supposed to pay to get the software/movie/music/whatever and if you don't want to, live without the product or find an alternative. You are NOT supposed to steal it.
Spoiler

#16 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:56 PM

View PostDellinsp531, on 17 September 2011 - 06:27 AM, said:

So, some hacker intercepts your credit card number when you use it at a gas pump (those credit card scanners at pumps tend to use a wireless connection). They then go make charges to your credit card number. So, since they just took "bits and bytes" originally does that meant that they are not stealing your (or the bank's) money?

This is a crap argument and if used in a court case, you WILL LOSE. It is stealing.

Movies from Netflix are NOT open source. Open source is an entirely different animal.

You can wrap it up in whatever BS justification you want, but it is still stealing. It is no different than you walking into a store and taking a physical DVD.

And even if someone how it was not considered stealing (i.e. maybe Netflix has some public domain movie), it still would more than likely be a violation of the terms of use of Netflix's streaming service...in other words, a violation of the contract that you agree to with Netflix.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#17 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:28 PM

btw, if you want any free movies, check this: http://www.youtube.c...vies?fl=f&pt=fm These are all LEGALLY free, though you still can't download them according to youtube's TOS.
Spoiler

#18 User is offline   Evildave 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:48 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 17 September 2011 - 01:08 PM, said:

People who make opensource software do NOT intend to make money off it, they're giving it away. Most companies DO intend to make money off it, you are supposed to pay to get the software/movie/music/whatever and if you don't want to, live without the product or find an alternative. You are NOT supposed to steal it.

Well, actually there are lots of income models for open source software.

For instance, by making some libraries 'open source', I save time later by not having to custom re-invent certain well-worn wheels for different customers.

Once an open source project is established, with a user base, some customers will PAY to have features added, which is more revenue.

Support contracts are revenue.

Special builds can be revenue, as well.

A 'player' might be open source, but the authoring tools are not. Revenue model.

It's not that they don't intend to make money off open source software. It's just you aren't (generally) charging people just to use it.

'MySQL' was eventually bought by SUN, for a giant mountain of money.

Of course, you CAN take any piece of open source software, and charge for it. Various Linux distros have done so. You just have to make the source code available, too.

It's all in the licensing.

As for the topic's question (of months ago): Go with the DVD plan, rip the DVDs with something like 'handbrake'. If you want to build a BIG library fast, sign up for blockbuster AND netflix DVD plans at the same time, so you can get those queues running in parallel and wear out your DVD drive. And maybe keep your postal carrier employed. Assuming you got the basic 2 DVD plan from netflix for $11, and the $20 3 DVD plan from blockbuster, and that they both end up delivering twice a week if you PROMPTLY return the DVDs, that's 10 DVDs a week, give or take. For $31 a month. So in a year, you'd have a 520 movie library for $372. A net savings of thousands of dollars, even for used videos. And still LOTS of free space on a 1TB hard drive.

BTW, a PS3 will play movies off a FAT32 formatted hard disk, thumb drive, etc.

I don't know about the 'morality' of it. I mean, the studio is already getting raped and re-raped by their content being rented out endlessly, rather than purchased. Is there a deal where they do get paid for rentals and re-sales? I don't think so. You could buy used DVDs, but you cut the studios and artists out that way, too, just to enrich others. There's always the 'green' argument that transporting all of those 'rentals' more than once is wasting energy, and big bandwidth server complexes that spew out millions of channels of are big energy hogs.

However you want to justify or condemn it, it's up to you. But it can be done.

It is strictly illegal (See that unskippable, minutes-long FBI notice just before the hour of un-skippable previews? Well, not after you 'rip' just the movie track...), and that's why I obviously don't practice what I preach here.

However even though it's definitely WAY safer than downloading videos or playing with torrents, with all of those copyright trolls you would get caught would be admitting openly that you do it, and piss off someone so badly that they get a DA involved, and he somehow gets a judge to sign a warrant to search your home for your private warez, or you turn around and share/redistribute your library to other people who narq you out for your kindness.

So don't do that. It's illegal. Stay good.
http://www.weasels.d...weasel/kiki.png

#19 User is offline   Evildave 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

As for more legitimately free movies... some you might even WANT to watch...
http://www.google.co...e+documentaries

#20 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:32 PM

Look, in general, it's not legal to rip netflix dvds either. Period. btw I have watched some of those documentaries off youtube though. Quite interesting, I must say.
Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users