Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Zugo Adware

#1 User is offline   QueenPendragon 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:38 AM

I had a Zugo adware download, thanks to a dumb mistake on my part. I did not allow the program it came with to install; when my Ad-adware stopped installation of the Zugo, I immediately got rid of what I'd downloaded and deleted everything. I ran Ad-adware, and it quarantined the Zugo that remained. Norton and Malware Malbytes came up clean, and Ad-adware did as well when I ran it again. I didn't get the signature Bing toolbar problem of this particular adware, and see no symptoms of malware now. Can I assume I'm okay. I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop with Vista and its latest service pack,Firefox browser, although IDK if that matters. Any searches for the said file in My Computer come up empty as well.

This post has been edited by QueenPendragon: 23 January 2011 - 06:39 AM

#2 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

Does your computer contain the following file and folder? C:\Program Files\Search Toolbar\SearchToolbar.dll If you're using a 64-bit folder, check both the Program Files and Program Files(x86) folders.
Check your registry for this entry: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\searchtoolbarlib.csearchtoolbarimpl

I'd feel pretty good if Malwarebytes' Anti-malware came up clean. If you want to take another look, you could install Superantispyware free and then do a full system scan in Safe Mode.
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.

#3 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

Malwarebytes is known for being really effective at removing malware. Since it said you were clean, I bet you probably are. Again, see agentf's suggestion on looking for those certain files/folders.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#4 User is offline   QueenPendragon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 23 January 2011 - 11:28 AM, said:

Malwarebytes is known for being really effective at removing malware. Since it said you were clean, I bet you probably are. Again, see agentf's suggestion on looking for those certain files/folders.

No, none of those files are on there anywhere. I guess that was a close call lol. That does make me feel a bit better. I will keep the link in mind just in case, but thanks.

#5 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

View PostQueenPendragon, on 23 January 2011 - 12:48 PM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 23 January 2011 - 11:28 AM, said:

No, none of those files are on there anywhere. I guess that was a close call lol. That does make me feel a bit better. I will keep the link in mind just in case, but thanks.

It sounds like you did all the right things from the gitgo. a lot wouldn't have reacted so quickly and made the right moves. Thus exacerbating the situation by installing it. As was suggested, you could run www.SUPERantispyware.com and see what comes up, but I suspect it would only be the usual tracking cookies.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#6 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:18 PM

Long live the queen's computer!
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.

#7 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

View PostAgentF, on 23 January 2011 - 08:18 PM, said:

lol! :D :D :D
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#8 User is offline   QueenPendragon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 24 January 2011 - 04:02 PM, said:

View PostAgentF, on 23 January 2011 - 08:18 PM, said:

lol! :D :D :D

LOL!

I've developed an Arthurian legend attraction from watching 'Merlin' so much.

I hope this thing survives a while. Already had to have the blasted thing wiped clean twice due to viruses. I do sometimes wish for a faster boot, but otherwise it works okay now. Firefox is a huge help, I have the safety add ons that let me see whether a site is dangerous or not before I go anywhere near it. The adblocker is great too...IE's popups drive me crazy.

This post has been edited by QueenPendragon: 24 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users