PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Hdmi Splitter - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hdmi Splitter Is there a deferents from the $50+ ones and the under $20 ones?

#1 User is offline   Ericuse165 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

I need to buy a hdmi splitter to make one hdmi port to three. I was looking on the internet and saw some for $50+ and saw some under $20. Is there any deferents in the picture quality from the $50+ and the cheaper ones? Would I get the same picture quality if I got the under $20 vs the $50+ ones?

Thank you
I have a small business where we fix and set up computers and networks for home users and businesses. I have Certifications in Information Technology and CNSS. My business just got certified with Microsoft and Apple. I have six partners that work with me and make us who we are where we say "Yes we can fix that and it is not fixed until it's Mlyo pc fixed".

If you would like to know more about me or my company feel free to send me a message and I will be more then happy to talk with you.

Erik
Mylo Corp

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Sony VAIO E Series laptop
  • Intel Core i5-2450M Dual Core Processor 3MB
  • 2.50Ghz with Intel Turbo Boost Technalogy up to 3.10Ghz
  • Intel HD Graphics 300
  • 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
  • 240GB Samsung Solid State disk drive
  • Windows8 64bit

#2 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

I still continue to see a disparity in the prices for many of the HDMI devices. My only conclusion is that they are using lower priced connectors on the cheaper units. The determinating factor for me is whether the splitter is meant to be a one time installation or will the cables be plugged and unplugged during normal usage. For a home theather install, the cheaper one is what I use as they will be mounted permanently behind a cabinet wall and never touched again. I prefer to mount them with screws and the cables are supported with cable tie-downs and straps so that there would be no weight placed upon the connectors on either end.

#3 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

This is like getting a $100 Monster HDMI cable or a $10 generic one. HDMI is digital, so there shouldn't be a difference in picture quality. However, really cheap ones might have poorly build connectors that will break or fall off easier than more expensive ones. On the other hand, my dad had a Monster RCA cable and one of the ends broke off. It was a waste of money.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#4 User is offline   Ericuse165 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

I would plug the cables in to the splitter and never touch it again. So I would not be taking them out and replugging them in.

Thanks for the information I would never buy a very very cheep one but I do not want send 50+. Maybe I can find a Monster or Rocketfish one for a good price.
I have a small business where we fix and set up computers and networks for home users and businesses. I have Certifications in Information Technology and CNSS. My business just got certified with Microsoft and Apple. I have six partners that work with me and make us who we are where we say "Yes we can fix that and it is not fixed until it's Mlyo pc fixed".

If you would like to know more about me or my company feel free to send me a message and I will be more then happy to talk with you.

Erik
Mylo Corp

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Intel HD Graphics 300
  • 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
  • Windows8 64bit

#5 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:24 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 25 January 2011 - 05:11 PM, said:

This is like getting a $100 Monster HDMI cable or a $10 generic one. HDMI is digital, so there shouldn't be a difference in picture quality. However, really cheap ones might have poorly build connectors that will break or fall off easier than more expensive ones. On the other hand, my dad had a Monster RCA cable and one of the ends broke off. It was a waste of money.

PC World did some tests on HDMI cables recently, and found the cheap ones every bit as good as Monster's.

Lincoln

#6 User is offline   Ericuse165 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

I have a 1080p full hd tv my set top box hdmi port is not working right so I need to use a component cable. My question is will a component cable deliver the same picture quality as a hdmi cable? Cable from twc only broadcasts at 480i 480p 720p and 1080i. So by using a component cable I will not be losing any picture quality vs hdmi am I right here?

Erik
Mylo Corp

• Intel HD Graphics 300
  • 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
  • Windows8 64bit

#7 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

View PostEricuse165, on 28 January 2011 - 08:53 PM, said:

I have a 1080p full hd tv my set top box hdmi port is not working right so I need to use a component cable. My question is will a component cable deliver the same picture quality as a hdmi cable? Cable from twc only broadcasts at 480i 480p 720p and 1080i. So by using a component cable I will not be losing any picture quality vs hdmi am I right here?

Hi, Eric.

This is really an independent question that should have been posted as a new topic. You'll know for next time.

To answer your question: a component connection (the kind that uses three RCA connectors for video; the audio is carried separately) can handle all of those resolutions. The only common device that really needs HDMI is Blu-ray.

Something went wrong with my Dish Network DVR awhile back and the HDMI stopped working. I connected it with component and it looks just as good. Although Dish is willing to replace it free of charge, to my mind it's not worth the bother and the loss of stuff on the hard drive.

Lincoln

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:54 AM

I think HDMI is limited to 1080p and component is 1080i (interlaced, not progressive), but I think broadcasts are only 720p (maybe 1080i), so you likely shouldn't see a difference. After all, component is the best quality analog connection for AV equipment (VGA is for computers). I have 2 monitors on my computer, one connected with DVI (digital) and the other VGA (analog) and the text doesn't look any more blurred on the analog one. The only issue is that bluray needs HDCP, which only HDMI has, so you will be limited in the resolution. Also, one thing to note: HDMI carries digital audio and component doesn't carry any audio, so you'll need a separate cable.

Note: could a moderator split the last 3 posts (including this one) into a new thread to avoid hijacking the old one?
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#9 User is offline   Ericuse165 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:24 PM

Okay thank you I am sorry for posting it here. This is the last post about this. I have been using a HDMI cable for my cable box but it works really bad. If I am viewing a channel in 720p and change the channel that broadcasts in 1080i. It will take forever to switch and it double loads. It works fine with no issues when I use a component cable. So I will have to switch to one I just wanted to know about the picture quality.

The issue is with TWC they told me and I guess no plans on fixing it. Also cable is 720p and 10801 only I know some channels(espn) broadcast in 720p and others just 1080i.

Thanks for the information

Sorry again for wrong posting.

Erik
Mylo Corp

• Intel HD Graphics 300
  • 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
  • Windows8 64bit

#10 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:20 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 30 January 2011 - 11:54 AM, said:

I think HDMI is limited to 1080p and component is 1080i (interlaced, not progressive), but I think broadcasts are only 720p (maybe 1080i), so you likely shouldn't see a difference. After all, component is the best quality analog connection for AV equipment (VGA is for computers). I have 2 monitors on my computer, one connected with DVI (digital) and the other VGA (analog) and the text doesn't look any more blurred on the analog one. The only issue is that bluray needs HDCP, which only HDMI has, so you will be limited in the resolution. Also, one thing to note: HDMI carries digital audio and component doesn't carry any audio, so you'll need a separate cable.

Note: could a moderator split the last 3 posts (including this one) into a new thread to avoid hijacking the old one?

Broadcast can be either 720p or 1080i.

Lincoln

#11 User is offline   shari26 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

Hi there, I am new to this board and need someones help if possible! We just bought a HDTV LED 3D and the comcast gentleman told me to return my HDMI cables I had and used Component cables. This is 1080P and no bluray hooked up only TV with smart apps... Do you think that this will give me the same HD with the component cables or should i use the HDMI? Of course today at Best Buy the gentleman said that it MUST be HDMI :blink: I also went in to buy a surge protector and I bought a Belkin and the gentleman said it should be a Monster ... :o Thanks for any response I can get!!

This post has been edited by shari26: 02 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

#12 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:56 PM

View Postshari26, on 02 August 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

Hi there, I am new to this board and need someones help if possible! We just bought a HDTV LED 3D and the comcast gentleman told me to return my HDMI cables I had and used Component cables. This is 1080P and no bluray hooked up only TV with smart apps... Do you think that this will give me the same HD with the component cables or should i use the HDMI? Of course today at Best Buy the gentleman said that it MUST be HDMI :blink: I also went in to buy a surge protector and I bought a Belkin and the gentleman said it should be a Monster ... :o Thanks for any response I can get!!

I have been using Belkin surge suppressors for over 10 years now, nothing has ever been damaged that was connected to them. I have had unconnected equipment damaged, so I know the spikes were there. Belkin is one of the only companies offering the kind of warranty they are. IE: If your equipment is EVER damaged (not just during product life cycle like some 'life time' warranties), they will replace/repair the equipment. If the surge suppressor itself is damaged, they will also replace it!

Only one caveat. You MUST hold on to the receipt. Tape it to the bottom of the suppressor so you don't lose it.

My now 10 year old suppressor did finally die last week. I lost the receipt so no clue how the replacement system is through them. BUT the important thing is that all of the equipment connected to it is still in perfect order.

Not to be rude, but I have no comment on the HDMI/Component debate beyond my own setup. I have several devices connected to my TV. 2 of them use Component cables. You would never be able to tell me which.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#13 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:52 AM

Hi, Shari, and welcome to the forums.

Before I get to your question, a note on forum etiquette: If you have a question to ask, do so by starting a new topic, not appending your question to another topic. There's a big red button that says "Start New Topic" on every PCW forum page.

Okay, on to your questions:

HDMI vs. Component: You didn't say what you had hooked up to the HDTV, other than that it wasn't a Blu-ray player. However, I can't think of anything off hand--other than a Blu-ray player or a PC--where component video won't deliver as good a picture as HDMI. You need HDMI to make full use of Blu-ray's 1080p HD, and I've yet to see a PC with component video. HDMI has the added advantage of being easier to set up (one connector for video and audio, as opposed to three connectors for video, alone). In other words, the cable you have is just fine.

Surge protector: The only advantage that Monster has over Belkin is that it costs more. That's a huge advantage...if you happen to own Monster stock. I suspect it has higher margins for the store, as well.

Lincoln

#14 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:50 AM

The Comcast guy is right in the sense that for your Comcast cable box, there should be no difference between component and HDMI. This is because all the HD content coming through Comcast will be either 1080i or 720p. The only benefit of HDMI would be one single cable with one single connection, where as component is technically one cable but with 5 connections. Now, I believe HDMI will do better with the audio as I am not sure if component audio can truly hand 5.1 Dobly surround sound like HDMI can.

Now, if you want to make full use of the 1080p aspect of your TV by way of BluRay player, then you will want an HDMI cable for that connection.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#15 User is offline   MLStrand56 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:29 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 26 January 2011 - 07:24 AM, said:

PC World did some tests on HDMI cables recently, and found the cheap ones every bit as good as Monster's.

Lincoln

The ONLY difference in premium vs. normal cables, is that normally the premium cables are gold plated. If you live in a very high humidity area (I live in Philippines), the gold plated cables do not corrode. However even a gold plated cable, plugged into a corroded jack, will still experience problems.

My solution to corroded jacks is to use a Scotch-Brite pad on them. Be careful not to scratch any lettering off the back panel of the component.

MLStrand56

#16 User is offline   MLStrand56 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:33 AM

View PostEricuse165, on 25 January 2011 - 02:17 PM, said:

I need to buy a hdmi splitter to make one hdmi port to three.

Do you mean that you need to send One HDMI signal to 3 locations (Splitter), OR do you mean that you need to plug 3 HDMI cables into 1 HDMI TV port (selector)?

MLStrand56

#17 User is offline   MLStrand56 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:49 AM

I also went in to buy a surge protector and I bought a Belkin and the gentleman said it should be a Monster.

I'm sure that the sales "gentleman" gets a higher commission by selling a Monster Surge Protector, than on a Belkin Surge Protector. Gentleman?????

With REAL Surge protectors, you generally get what you pay for. BUT you should ALWAYS check the specs. Just for the record, an AC strip with a LED is NOT a Surge Protector. That AC strip may have a Zenor Diode inside that will OPEN (burn out) around 2000 Volts. But think about that. What will happen to your valuable Audio/Video/Computer equipment it you put 1,999 AC Volts into it?

When looking for a Really GOOD Surge Protector, look for one that Guarantees to Replace the equipment connected to it, should the Surge Protector fail. Even the best Guarantees usually cap out at around $10,000 for damaged equip. That's a $10,000 insurance policy against AC spikes, which often exceed 1000 volts (even in USA).

MLStrand56

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users