PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Apple's Mobile Payment System Will Fail: Here's Why - PCWorld Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple's Mobile Payment System Will Fail: Here's Why

#1 User is offline   PCWorld 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

Post your comments for Apple's Mobile Payment System Will Fail: Here's Why here

#2 User is offline   cashxx 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

I don't like the idea at all. Its as bad as credit cards built like this. You walk pass someone who is snooping for this data and they can get all your personal information and cc number, etc. I'm sure if Apple will build it Google will follow and copy that as well so hopefully they all fail.

#3 User is offline   ChristopherSagucio 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

What the article failed to mentioned is the security aspect of it. Are consumers ready to accept an all-in-one device that has all their personal information on it and be able to accept the consequences when it is either lost or stolen???

Yea it's a great idea but I see it as a novelty that won't gain mainstream acceptance until 3 to 5 years from now.

#4 User is offline   TheThirdOne 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

I thought most places already had NFC abilities, those little things you can touch a card to that are labeled with something that looks like a wifi symbol. Also, I don't know about you, but I keep my credit card in a wallet, it's a hassle to pull out, unlike my phone.

They have use technology in Japan, and it works great there, why not in the US?

#5 User is offline   Fretless 

• PipPip

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

Clueless. Apple is not saying it will become a bank. Your electronic payment will still need to be processed through your account. The custodian of such account (e.g., Chase, Citi, etc.) will cover standard protections against fraud, provide extended warranties, etc. Apple will just act as an intermediary.

Unless Apple decided to get into the banking business much like other corporations eventually did, such as GE and GM. The certainly have the market cap to do it, but I'm thinking that's probably not something Steve envisions - perhaps whomever takes over the reins down the road.

#6 Guest_rhonin_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:38 PM

View Postcashxx, on 26 January 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

I don't like the idea at all. Its as bad as credit cards built like this. You walk pass someone who is snooping for this data and they can get all your personal information and cc number, etc. I'm sure if Apple will build it Google will follow and copy that as well so hopefully they all fail.

Take a look at the Nexus S - it already had the capability.
The big unknown - what retailers will allow or even install the capability for you to you use?

#7 User is offline   shawncrisp 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

"Apple, heed my advice..."

Fella, this is likely your first job, you make less than $50,000 per year, and you still live at home with your Mama (or perhaps an apartment.) I don't think Steve Jobs will take your plea to 'listen to my advice or face peril' very seriously.

It was amusing though.

#8 User is offline   ChrisHardin 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

you're kidding right? Another Apple hater without the facts? What a shock...

#9 Guest_acerbic_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:25 PM

I'm heading to the nearest emergency room right now suffering from severe hallucinations: I thought I saw PC World declaring that something by Apple will fail.

#10 User is offline   PhughQ 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

Loser! Do you just write down the first things that pop into your head? Do you do any research? Ya, it's not gonna work:

GSMA
The GSM Association (GSMA) is the global trade association representing 700 mobile phone operators across 218 countries of the world.
They have launched 3 initiatives:
the Mobile NFC initiative: fourteen mobile network operators, who together represent 40% of the global mobile market, back NFC and are working together to develop NFC applications. They are Bouygues Télécom, China Mobile, AT&T, KPN, Mobilkom Austria, Orange, SFR, SK Telecom, Telefonica Móviles España, Telenor, TeliaSonera, Telecom Italia Mobile (TIM), Vodafone, Deutsche Telecom and 3[8]
On 13 February 2007, they published a white paper on NFC to give the point of view of mobile operators on the NFC ecosystem.[9]
the Pay buy mobile initiative seeks to define a common global approach to using Near Field Communications (NFC) technology to link mobile devices with payment and contactless systems.[10][11] To date, 30 mobile operators have joined this initiative.
On November 17, 2010, after two years of discussions, the three largest U.S. mobile phone carriers have launched a joint venture intended to develop a single platform on which technology based on the Near Field Communication (NFC) specifications can be used by their customers to make mobile payments. The new venture, known as ISIS, is designed to usher in the broad deployment of NFC technology, allowing NFC-enabled cell phones to function similarly to credit cards for the 200 million customers using cell phone service provided by any of the three carriers throughout the United States

#11 User is offline   PhughQ 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

View Postshawncrisp, on 26 January 2011 - 04:03 PM, said:

Fella, this is likely your first job, you make less than $50,000 per year, and you still live at home with your Mama (or perhaps an apartment.) I don't think Steve Jobs will take your plea to 'listen to my advice or face peril' very seriously.

It was amusing though.

LOL

#12 User is offline   EdCampbell 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

Apple should this bit of advice from a flack - why?

#13 User is offline   Radovich 

• PipPip

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

I'm so hate apple's vetting rules for app. But we can see this problem in a bright angle, it's safe to use. So, give your embrace to it. get more about ipad and iphone in ifunia resource page.

#14 User is offline   bikdav 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

View Postacerbic, on 26 January 2011 - 04:25 PM, said:

I'm heading to the nearest emergency room right now suffering from severe hallucinations: I thought I saw PC World declaring that something by Apple will fail.

Forget the emergency room. You are not hallucinating. I witnessed this also. And I think that PC World is seriously on to something with this one.

#15 User is offline   DerekKnight 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:22 PM

The road is littered with authors who claim gloom and doom with *new* Apple technologies. iMac, iPod, iTunes, Mac OS X, etc. etc.

Tom, you're gonna eat crow pal. Do you know how many iPhone owners there will be in the next 5 years? Do you not see how business and vendors bend over backwards to take advantage of the Apple ecosystem?

I guess you don't.

#16 User is offline   CathyMunroe 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

There are other mobile payment systems currently in place for mobile gifting. You can buy a gift voucher and send it to a mobile phone at www.giftsms.com.au.

#17 User is offline   JakeB 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:01 AM

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Spoken like a true innovator.

Now where are all those PC World "Why the iPad Will Fail" articles from early last year?

Apple haters are the ones living in a reality distortion field -- the distortion that Apple isn't the leading tech company in the world.

#18 User is offline   EdAlbro 

• Group: PC World Editorial

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:59 AM

View Postshawncrisp, on 26 January 2011 - 04:03 PM, said:

It was amusing though.

Shawn,

You're 0-for-3. An amusing attempt to discredit an argument by stereotyping the author, though.

Ed Albro
Editor

#19 User is offline   KuliuKy 

• PipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

Guess what its the consumer that is going to pay for this just like every other credit card and payment schemes out there. Convenience is not convenient or cheap.

#20 User is offline   TerrenceNewton 

• PipPip

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

I have to agree with this one. What's easier than taking out a credit card, and swiping it? Hell, swiping is even easier than using RFID. I never use the RFID thing at McDonald's, 'cause it's hard to tell if you held it close enough or long enough. I just don't see anything like this taking off.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users