Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Corrupted Micro Sd Card Trying to retreive photos

#1 User is offline   justice2229 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

How can I fix my SD? I'm getting an error that says "F:/ is not accessible."?

Ok I need help with an SD Card (SDHC 4g) that I recently started having issues with. It was actually working fine a few weeks ago when I was out taking pics with family. Then, I came home and insterted it into my laptop only to find an error which says something like, "F:/ is not accessible. The directory is corrupted and unreadable." I’ve tried this on my friend’s laptop and am getting the same error so by now I know it’s most likely the card that has a problem. I’ve searched the internet only to find answer which I can’t use.
I don’t want to format the card because I have family pictures and other data on it. I have thought about maybe formatting the card and then using a recovery program to retrieve what was lost but that’s risky. If ANYONE has any additional info or tips I’d greatly appreciate it. I’m actually quite competent with computers so please feel free to give me any pointers. I’m really hoping it’s not a lost cause but either way, any help is appreciated. Thanks so much!
**Edit
Yeah I checked the lock switch on the card. I tried the card on my friend’s laptop and even tried to use a card reader I have to connect that way but still no luck. What bugs me the most is that it just happened suddenly. Thing is I can preview the images on my camera no problem.

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

If the lock switch was enabled you would still be able to read it - you just wouldn't be able to take pictures or delete things on it. Try running chkdsk - run CMD with admin priviliges and type the following:
chkdsk F: /f
(that is, if the volume if F. /f means fix)

If that fails, try Recuva.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   justice2229 

• Pip

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:59 AM

i did this and now my picture are not there omg! I think it erased my pictures! Is there any way to recover them?

This post has been edited by justice2229: 29 January 2011 - 08:00 AM

#4 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

View Postjustice2229, on 29 January 2011 - 07:59 AM, said:

i did this and now my picture are not there omg! I think it erased my pictures! Is there any way to recover them?

These two data recovery apps should do the trick for fetching any deleted files, they work on flashdrives, phones, hard drives, and more!

Diskdigger- http://diskdigger.org/

Recuva- http://www.piriform.com/recuva
Even the experts started out as beginners

#5 User is offline   justice2229 

• Pip

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

Hey thanks alot for the help! i purchased data recovery software and recovered all my pics.Now, is this memory card finished? can i take pics on it?

#6 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

View Postjustice2229, on 31 January 2011 - 03:19 PM, said:

Hey thanks alot for the help! i purchased data recovery software and recovered all my pics.Now, is this memory card finished? can i take pics on it?

Technically you didn't have to pay for the recovery apps, but it might come in handy on that oops moment of the delete button...

Sometimes memory cards just get corrupted from bugs in software, camera glitches, etc.

Try formatting the card using your camera, shoot random stuff that you don't care about, see if you can copy off your photos. If all is good, you can try shooting more stuff till it either craps out or keeps working...

As a photographer, I would recommend using that card as the spare and buying a new one.
Even the experts started out as beginners

#7 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:16 AM

View Postjustice2229, on 27 January 2011 - 03:43 PM, said:

How can I fix my SD? I'm getting an error that says "F:/ is not accessible."?

Ok I need help with an SD Card (SDHC 4g) that I recently started having issues with. It was actually working fine a few weeks ago when I was out taking pics with family. Then, I came home and insterted it into my laptop only to find an error which says something like, "F:/ is not accessible. The directory is corrupted and unreadable." I’ve tried this on my friend’s laptop and am getting the same error so by now I know it’s most likely the card that has a problem. I’ve searched the internet only to find answer which I can’t use.
I don’t want to format the card because I have family pictures and other data on it. I have thought about maybe formatting the card and then using a recovery program to retrieve what was lost but that’s risky. If ANYONE has any additional info or tips I’d greatly appreciate it. I’m actually quite competent with computers so please feel free to give me any pointers. I’m really hoping it’s not a lost cause but either way, any help is appreciated. Thanks so much!
**Edit
Yeah I checked the lock switch on the card. I tried the card on my friend’s laptop and even tried to use a card reader I have to connect that way but still no luck. What bugs me the most is that it just happened suddenly. Thing is I can preview the images on my camera no problem.

Sounds like you basically are all set...but I thought I would offer up one things in case this happens to you again.

You mention that you could still see the images on the camera. If so, then you could have tried use the USB cable the came with your camera to connect the camera to the computer with card in the camera...and then see if you can access the pictures on the card through the camera. While I don't personally recommend using this method typically to transfer the pictures, it is possible that it could have worked when putting the card into a card reader did not.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

View Postsmax013, on 05 February 2011 - 04:16 AM, said:

If so, then you could have tried use the USB cable the came with your camera to connect the camera to the computer with card in the camera...and then see if you can access the pictures on the card through the camera. While I don't personally recommend using this method typically to transfer the pictures, it is possible that it could have worked when putting the card into a card reader did not.

Yeah I don't recommend using the camera to copy pictures. You waste batteries and transfer rates are slower (at least with my canon).
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#9 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:44 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 05 February 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

Yeah I don't recommend using the camera to copy pictures. You waste batteries and transfer rates are slower (at least with my canon).

The part in red is why I don't typically do it.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#10 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:07 PM

One foolproof way I've found of getting pictures off the SD card is to leave it in the camera and transfer via USB cable to the camera. Too many times I've lost photos by pulling the card and using a card to USB adapter. Thias allows me to copy them from the card via the camera and never deleting or erasing the original, it remains on the card. Some times the software for the camera if installed on the PC makes retrieval easier but I've also seen it create trouble too.

#11 User is offline   jillroman 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

I am getting a similar error from my micro SD card from my phone, a lot of pics and video that I do not want to lose. I tried downloading the DiskDigger software, but even that tells me I need to reformat the disc. Do you recommend that I reformat and then try to recover? It appears that is my only option, but I am very nervous about doing that. The error that I am getting from DiskDigger is "There was an error while reading from the disk: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error How would you like to proceed" Please help me!! Thanks! :o

#12 User is offline   A41202813 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

@jillroman

This Is An Old Thread.

This Is The Most Promising Way To Get Help In PCW:

http://forums.pcworl...new_post&f=2024

Good Luck.

( Sorry For The Repeated Posts ).

Share this topic: