PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Using A Usb Stick To Watch Movies On A Tv Or Dvd? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Using A Usb Stick To Watch Movies On A Tv Or Dvd?

#1 User is offline   AceSim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:41 PM

how is it possible to watch movies from a USB stick on a TV or DVD? I mean I know you can but how do I do it? I have a standard DVD and TV. By standard I mean its an average one.

#2 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:40 PM

View PostAceSim, on 09 February 2011 - 05:41 PM, said:

how is it possible to watch movies from a USB stick on a TV or DVD? I mean I know you can but how do I do it? I have a standard DVD and TV. By standard I mean its an average one.

Lets take a step back and see what you're trying to accomplish...

Are you wanting to watch pre-downloaded movie files from your USB stick/burned to dvd??

If so, you will need a computer that can output to a compatible TV format like RCA, VGA, S-Video, or HDMI. Your TV and computer specs weren't mentioned, so its hard to tell what you need.

Standard/average DVD and TV is confusing in terms...

Do you have a flat screen TV or is it a CRT tube type?
Standard DVD... is it a DVD player that could play anything rented from RedBox? (excluding blu-ray)

Two options you may want to look at-
1. Apple TV will let you play all of your saved media on your computer on your TV- http://www.apple.com/appletv/
2. Netflix - http://www.netflix.com/
Even the experts started out as beginners

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:57 AM

Yes, it is possible. But, it requires a DVD player or TV that is capable of 1) playing certain computer video formats (such as maybe WMV files) and 2) having a USB port and the ability to use that USB port to play video. I know that my one older progressive scan DVD player could play certain computer video formats from a USB drive. I don't recall if either of my HDTVs can or not (my main one has a USB port...just cannot recall if it can be used to play videos) or if my BluRay player can.

Now, if your TV or DVD player has no such function, then you would have to look at hooking up your computer or some other media device (like an AppleTV that crazy4laptops mentioned) to the TV.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#4 User is offline   AceSim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

View Postsmax013, on 10 February 2011 - 05:57 AM, said:

Yes, it is possible. But, it requires a DVD player or TV that is capable of 1) playing certain computer video formats (such as maybe WMV files) and 2) having a USB port and the ability to use that USB port to play video. I know that my one older progressive scan DVD player could play certain computer video formats from a USB drive. I don't recall if either of my HDTVs can or not (my main one has a USB port...just cannot recall if it can be used to play videos) or if my BluRay player can.

Now, if your TV or DVD player has no such function, then you would have to look at hooking up your computer or some other media device (like an AppleTV that crazy4laptops mentioned) to the TV.

Ok, Thanks for the help. Now i understand.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users