• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best Place To Put Case Fan

#1 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:03 PM

Should it be in the front or on the side (blowing in)? Right now I tried putting it to blow air from the side, and I think my temps might be a tad lower. The CPU's idling at 30-32C, and graphics are 50C (idle). While gaming the CPU got to 43-52C, and the GPU 57C. There's no fan on the front vent right now. Would this be better or should I move the fan back to the front?

Oh by the way, I was going to replace that fan with this because mine's quite loud: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835228001

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 13 February 2011 - 03:09 PM

Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#2 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 13 February 2011 - 03:03 PM, said:

Should it be in the front or on the side (blowing in)? Right now I tried putting it to blow air from the side, and I think my temps might be a tad lower. The CPU's idling at 30-32C, and graphics are 50C (idle). While gaming the CPU got to 43-52C, and the GPU 57C. There's no fan on the front vent right now. Would this be better or should I move the fan back to the front?

Oh by the way, I was going to replace that fan with this because mine's quite loud: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835228001

Hi Brian,

I would put one in the front if it was mine case.

Only looking at neweggs site, may I suggest this one?
http://www.newegg.co...0-045-_-Product

Its a tad more but the CFM is better and the advertised noise level is simalar.

Also, this was noted in one of the reviews on the fan you picked.

Thats what he says anyway?
Cons: the description says these fans are 25 cfm BUT the package, which has the exact same model #, says they are 16 CFM and 16 DBa. buyer beware, website incorrectly lists specs.

16CFM isn't worth it.

Rommel

This post has been edited by Rommel: 13 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

#3 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:23 PM

Does this unit sit in mostly one location/position? Starting with a cardboard mock-up and eventually to a plastic scoop afair to tunnel and boost fresh air into the vents and intake to help lower temperatures. A serious checkup investigation may reveal dust and heatsink clogging. This happens in every environment and is a fact of life. Cooling platters with fans can be adapted to boost efficiently and above all, clean air. Filters on intakes from areas where the cooling fans intake, will go a long way to helping to keep it cleaner for longer.

This post has been edited by mjd420nova: 13 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

View Postmjd420nova, on 13 February 2011 - 04:23 PM, said:

Does this unit sit in mostly one location/position? Starting with a cardboard mock-up and eventually to a plastic scoop afair to tunnel and boost fresh air into the vents and intake to help lower temperatures. A serious checkup investigation may reveal dust and heatsink clogging. This happens in every environment and is a fact of life. Cooling platters with fans can be adapted to boost efficiently and above all, clean air. Filters on intakes from areas where the cooling fans intake, will go a long way to helping to keep it cleaner for longer.

Firstly, I just discovered that with no intake fan my HDs got rather toasty - the WD hit 42C, one Samsung 37C, and the other 35C. I moved it back to the front fro now. I know there's not much dust in it - I open it often enough that none really collects. The PC is always sitting in one place - I'll upload a picture later if I have time. This is the case I have - it's from 2003 after all and all the current ones have 120mm fans, this one uses 80mm, so it might not really be up to optimally cooling newer equipment. There are 3 HD bays and all 3 are filled, and is there any way to make it any cooler running? I've seen HD coolers, but those are optimal for only one drive, and it needs a bay of it's own. Optimally I'd have a fan (around 80mm) blowing at all 3 HDs from the front, but the case doesn't support it.

Anyway... there is a filter, but only on the front fan. Whenever I check it, it's very clean - either there's not much dust near it or the filter is ineffective. I still see small piles of dust on the bottom of the case. I just cleaned out all that before, but things are still a bit warm.

Also, if any of you would know where to get a 3.5" external drive cover (that comes with the pc), that would help. When my dad built the PC originally (back in 2003, with a pentium 4 cpu), he got rid of them, as he had a floppy drive and card reader in the slots. Since then, I have absolutely no need for the floppy drive, and the card reader died so I bought an external one. If I could get a cover that would mean a bit less in the case, and possibly better ventilation.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#5 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:31 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 14 February 2011 - 03:32 PM, said:

Also, if any of you would know where to get a 3.5" external drive cover (that comes with the pc), that would help. When my dad built the PC originally (back in 2003, with a pentium 4 cpu), he got rid of them, as he had a floppy drive and card reader in the slots. Since then, I have absolutely no need for the floppy drive, and the card reader died so I bought an external one. If I could get a cover that would mean a bit less in the case, and possibly better ventilation.

Too bad this post wasn't about 2 weeks sooner.
I had a free one for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item33639a14b6

Perhaps further searching will turn up a better price for this.

Rommel

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users