PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Win 7 Error 651 - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Win 7 Error 651 Can't get on the internet.

#1 User is offline   Jrow2 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

I am trying to get my windows 7 computer to connect to the internet. I have tried to connect but I get an error 651. I tried Google and found the file I need to install, I downloaded the Vista file to change with the win 7 file but I can't get buy Microsofts "trustedinstaller" to install the file.I looked "trustedinstaller" up on google but the fix they state doesn't work.

Can anyone help? Or is there a better way?

John

#2 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:44 AM

View PostJrow2, on 20 February 2011 - 09:31 PM, said:

I am trying to get my windows 7 computer to connect to the internet. I have tried to connect but I get an error 651. I tried Google and found the file I need to install, I downloaded the Vista file to change with the win 7 file but I can't get buy Microsofts "trustedinstaller" to install the file.I looked "trustedinstaller" up on google but the fix they state doesn't work.

Can anyone help? Or is there a better way?

John

Hi John,
Can you tell us what you did to connect to the internet, and how you're connected (DSL, cable, etc.)? Are you wireless or hard wired? The more info the better.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#3 User is offline   Jrow2 

• Pip

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:49 PM

Frontier DSL.
Prior to installing windows 7 I just plugged my computer into a Westell Model 6100 Modem originally provided by Verizon. Frontier bought Verizon wired phone service hence I now have frontier DSL. I quired Frontier asking if there was an update to the firmware about 10 days ago and I still haven't got an answer.

John

This post has been edited by coastie65: 22 February 2011 - 07:05 AM

#4 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:27 AM

View PostJrow2, on 21 February 2011 - 05:49 PM, said:

Frontier DSL.
Prior to installing windows 7 I just plugged my computer into a Westell Model 6100 Modem originally provided by Verizon. Frontier bought Verizon wired phone service hence I now have frontier DSL. I quired Frontier asking if there was an update to the firmware about 10 days ago and I still haven't got an answer.

John

I found a possible solution by googling (looks like you're not the only one who has had this problem!).

"Go into My computer > control panel > modems.
Check correct modem is installed. If not then remove modem > restart computer > re-install modem.
If still getting the same problem > go into control panel > networks > remove dial up adapter and TCP/IP > restart computer
Go back into control panel > re-install dial up adapter and TCP/IP.
Advise customer to get latest modem drivers."

I'm assuming you've already re-set the DSL modem.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#5 User is offline   Jrow2 

• Pip

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

Go into My computer > control panel > modems.

I have a “phone and modem” icon this \
gives me a location form to fill in for dial up. Your giving me info on an operation system other than Windows 7.

Check correct modem is installed. If not then remove modem > restart computer > re-install modem.
If still getting the same problem > go into control panel > networks > remove dial up adapter and TCP/IP > restart computer
Go back into control panel > re-install dial up adapter and TCP/IP.
Advise customer to get latest modem drivers."

I'm assuming you've already re-set the DSL modem

And yes I have reset the modem numerious times.

#6 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:47 AM

View PostJrow2, on 21 February 2011 - 05:49 PM, said:

Frontier DSL.

John

Just to confirm, your Internet connection was working fine...and then you updated your OS to Windows 7 and the problem started. Is this correct?
Good riddance PCWorld.

#7 User is offline   Jrow2 

• Pip

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:48 AM

Yes, that is correct. I went online to Frontier last night and they checkied the modem and its OK. We used my Lenova laptop to make the check.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users