Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Asus G73j Product nightmare with ASUS

#1 User is offline   danyo 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:30 AM

I bought a new ASUS G73J, received it, and the next day it would not charge. Called their service, said to send it in. Got it back a week later with a missing footpad. They said I would have to send it in again, they would not send the 25 cent piece to me. Three days later got a blue screen, then shut down. After restarting it froze completely. Sent it in again, waited three weeks and received it back with assurances that it was repaired and tested. Five to ten minutes after receiving it back and booting up got the same blue screen and freeze. It has now been back a week. So, my brand new computer has been with me less than three days and in service 31, and the rest of the time in transit to or from them. I needed a computer but get no compassion from ASUS, and the only response is that "it is in repair". My requests for a new one (which I am only asking what I paid for)go ignored.

#2 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:42 AM

Hey Danyo !!

Welcome to PC World Community!

Well, I understand your frustration. I have heard of ASUS' lack of responsiveness towards it's clients but,
in the time I have been part of this forum, you are the second to complain that I can remember. In all
fairness, HP , Lenovo, Toshiba and Sony owners all complained at one point or another about the service
of their respective purchases.

I have one (a G73JH-A1) since last July. Here's my thread when I was looking around,it might or might not
help you :

http://forums.pcworl...740#entry374740

To tell you the truth, at one point, I was really considering returning it. Not because it wasn't working properly
but, because any game I would try to play would crash.

The first thing you do when you bring home a new PC or notebook is start it up (to see IF it starts) and then
burn the Recovery DVDs. Then you go online to find out what to and Not to uninstall (the junk and trials)
Then , you update the drivers.

BINGO. In my searches , I found that the Radeon 5870M Video card's driver was NOT to be messed with.
I tried All the new driver versions right up to 10.10 . Then I got tired and re-installed the Original drivers for
the 5870M. Well, what a difference. No more crashes and I can play Any games that are out there with
all effects on High. This thing never gets over 62*C (Vid card) even after a hard days worth of gaming.

Asus has recompiled this 10.6 driver so you Cannot update. I'm not the only one that found this out the hard way.
The ATI forums are full of it.

I guess this is no comfort to you right about now but, all I can say is, I feel your pain and hope you get your
money back as this seems like it's a Lemon.

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#3 User is offline   danyo 

• Pip

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for your reply...there are some good points to keep in mind, that is if I ever get my computer back. If it was just the crash and freeze problems I would be concerned, but the power port was bad, the adapter was bad, it came back the first time with parts missing, and half the time you do not even get a reply when contacting ASUS. I have been buying computers and laptops since the 80's and never have had frustrations like this one.

#4 User is offline   danyo 

• Pip

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:48 AM

ASUS finally said the computer was "DOA" (their words) and agreed to replace it, but not after a call from the company I bought it from.

View PostFlashorn, on 27 February 2011 - 03:42 AM, said:

Hey Danyo !!

Well, I understand your frustration. I have heard of ASUS' lack of responsiveness towards it's clients but,
in the time I have been part of this forum, you are the second to complain that I can remember. In all
fairness, HP , Lenovo, Toshiba and Sony owners all complained at one point or another about the service

I have one (a G73JH-A1) since last July. Here's my thread when I was looking around,it might or might not
help you :

To tell you the truth, at one point, I was really considering returning it. Not because it wasn't working properly

The first thing you do when you bring home a new PC or notebook is start it up (to see IF it starts) and then
burn the Recovery DVDs. Then you go online to find out what to and Not to uninstall (the junk and trials)

BINGO. In my searches , I found that the Radeon 5870M Video card's driver was NOT to be messed with.
I tried All the new driver versions right up to 10.10 . Then I got tired and re-installed the Original drivers for
the 5870M. Well, what a difference. No more crashes and I can play Any games that are out there with
all effects on High. This thing never gets over 62*C (Vid card) even after a hard days worth of gaming.

Asus has recompiled this 10.6 driver so you Cannot update. I'm not the only one that found this out the hard way.

I guess this is no comfort to you right about now but, all I can say is, I feel your pain and hope you get your

FLASHORN.

#5 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

Hey Danyo !!

That's Great news!!! I told you it was Lemon LOL!

I don't know IF you bought this online but, I try to Never buy parts or big ticket items
(such as PCs or notebooks) online. It's just too hard to either get satisfaction or the
servicing that goes with it.

I have a few places in town (Ottawa , Canada) that I deal with personally. They are
the only ones I will do business with. IF by any chance (or lack of) I do get bum
merchandise, I just pick the item up and bring it back for an exchange on the spot.

IF they won't comply with an exchange then, their reputation will suffer. My money is
Not dirty and I DO expect to have good products for the money I pay.

At almost $2000.00 for a notebook, there should be NO excuses.

I am Really glad for you. I just hope that the new one will serve you well for some time
to come.

IF you ever need any help with this new notebook, just ask. I might be able to offer
Some assistance.

FLASHORN.

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#6 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:40 AM

That is why I buy Refurbs they are cheaper and I get what I pay for and expect these days, LITTLE TO NO SUPPORT. :D The only one I have that was not a refurb is the eMachines and that has done well, as have the two Refurb Gateways ( A Laptop & Desktop ).

This post has been edited by coastie65: 02 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#7 User is offline   danyo 

• Pip

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:52 AM

Hi FLASHORN,

Thanks again for the reply...and I may take you up on future assistance since you have the same notebook.

I agree completely with your comments. I did get this laptop on line but it was with a company that I have done business with for many years for computer equipment as well as camera equipment. It was the call to their customer service that got the job done. The immediately called their rep, who put me in touch with an AVP of customer support. He got me the new computer in about 30 minutes (still waiting for it, thought). It pays to work with the same people.

Danyo

View Postdanyo, on 01 March 2011 - 08:48 AM, said:

ASUS finally said the computer was "DOA" (their words) and agreed to replace it, but not after a call from the company I bought it from.

View PostFlashorn, on 27 February 2011 - 03:42 AM, said:

Hey Danyo !!

help you :

FLASHORN.

#8 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:15 AM

Hey Danyo !

Yes, If I can be of some help, by all means, ask away. I have had this one since July 2010 and
apart from finding out the hard way about the recompiled ATI driver, this notebook (which I use
as my Main PC) has just been excellent on all counts. Even the TurboBoost is a Godsend for
certain applications.

When you do get your notebook, don't forget to burn the Recovery DVDs. You should have at least
5 blank DVDs available to complete the recovery.

There's also this guide that could possibly help out with the Bloat that this thing comes with. I know
it helped me get rid of the useless programs but, then again, you might find them useful and want to
keep them around. Take a look and ask questions :

http://forum.noteboo...ware-guide.html

Give us a shout when it arrives.

FLASHORN.

Posted Image

Patience is Life.

#9 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:19 AM

View Postcoastie65, on 02 March 2011 - 08:40 AM, said:

That is why I buy Refurbs they are cheaper and I get what I pay for and expect these days, LITTLE TO NO SUPPORT. :D The only one I have that was not a refurb is the eMachines and that has done well, as have the two Refurb Gateways ( A Laptop & Desktop ).

Hey coastie!!

That's why I insist on buying Local. It keeps the good ones around, helps the economy of the region
AND you get all of the support you need with either a visit or a phone call away.

FLASHORN.

Posted Image

Patience is Life.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users