• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Itunes Music Disappearing: Why?

#1 User is offline   71201 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:30 PM

Hey everyone,

I've had a few problems with iTunes in the past, but never like this. Today I was listening to my music on iTunes while surfing the web, and everything was fine, all 1800-ish of my songs were in my iTunes library. About an hour later, I noticed most of the songs that were playing were from one album although I had it on Shuffle. So I minimized my internet browser to see what was up with that, and found out all my songs except one entire album (and four songs from another album) had disappeared from my iTunes library. I checked my "Purchased" tab to see if somehow my songs had ended up there, and there were about 400 songs there. So the other 1400-ish songs have completely disappeared and I have no idea where they went, or even what caused it to screw up like that. There was no dialogue box popping up to announce any problems, there were no mis-clicks since I had iTunes minimized during the time that my songs disappeared... and I just barely ran my virus scanner (McAfee) and it says there's no viruses or trojans. The good news is, I have all my songs on my iPod, but the bad news is I have no backup other than that, and if I sync my iPod with my computer to charge it, I bet you anything that I'll end up with only the songs I have in my iTunes library now. Obviously I can just plug it into the wall instead, but I would like to be able to organize my music, manage playlists, import new music, etc.

It would be totally awesome if someone could help me out with this, even if only to point out what the cause of all this might be (so I can avoid it in the future). Is iTunes just being retarded? Or is it possible that I have a computer virus that McAfee can't even detect? Oh, and another thing I noticed is ever since yesterday my computer has been running a lot slower than normal, not just the internet but everything, including opening programs like Microsoft Word. Could just be a coincidence though.

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

View Post71201, on 01 March 2011 - 03:30 PM, said:

Hey everyone,

I've had a few problems with iTunes in the past, but never like this. Today I was listening to my music on iTunes while surfing the web, and everything was fine, all 1800-ish of my songs were in my iTunes library. About an hour later, I noticed most of the songs that were playing were from one album although I had it on Shuffle. So I minimized my internet browser to see what was up with that, and found out all my songs except one entire album (and four songs from another album) had disappeared from my iTunes library. I checked my "Purchased" tab to see if somehow my songs had ended up there, and there were about 400 songs there. So the other 1400-ish songs have completely disappeared and I have no idea where they went, or even what caused it to screw up like that. There was no dialogue box popping up to announce any problems, there were no mis-clicks since I had iTunes minimized during the time that my songs disappeared... and I just barely ran my virus scanner (McAfee) and it says there's no viruses or trojans. The good news is, I have all my songs on my iPod, but the bad news is I have no backup other than that, and if I sync my iPod with my computer to charge it, I bet you anything that I'll end up with only the songs I have in my iTunes library now. Obviously I can just plug it into the wall instead, but I would like to be able to organize my music, manage playlists, import new music, etc.

It would be totally awesome if someone could help me out with this, even if only to point out what the cause of all this might be (so I can avoid it in the future). Is iTunes just being retarded? Or is it possible that I have a computer virus that McAfee can't even detect? Oh, and another thing I noticed is ever since yesterday my computer has been running a lot slower than normal, not just the internet but everything, including opening programs like Microsoft Word. Could just be a coincidence though.

The first thing to check is if the songs are all really gone or not. iTunes does NOT actually have the songs (or videos) in the program. The iTunes library is just a "reference" to the files stored on the hard drive as separate files. Thus, it is possible that the iTunes library just got "confused", but the song files are all still there on the hard drive.

Which version of Windows are you using? This will kind of determine where the default location that iTunes stores all the various media files on the computer. If it is XP, then it will be in My Documents > My Music > iTunes > iTunes Music (if I recall correctly). I believe if it is Vista or 7, then it is similar, but slightly different.

If the music files are all still on the hard drive, then it should be simple matter of "re-adding" them to the iTunes library.

And if there are still there, then next thing you should do is back them up.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#3 User is offline   Dave087 

• Pip

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:10 AM

I can't help you out with your problem, but I had the same thing happen to me. I had ~4500 songs in my iTunes library and about a week ago my wife was listening to itunes and clicked on a song and it said unable to play...., cannot find source file, and sure enough about 1800 were gone from my library. Can't find them on my hard drive, they're well hidden if they are still there. And I checked one folder where i had ripped 6 or 7 CD's and only 1 was left in the folder the others were gone. Called Apple and they said it was the first time they had ever heard of it, which I don't believe because I've seen posts on the internet going back several years about the same problem. Just about all of the songs are from CD's that I own so I can rip them again, just a pain in the butt. I also didn't have a back-up, but I just purchased a Seagate 1TB external hard drive so now everything is backed up.

Anyone know if this is a virus?? I don't think it is, nothing else on my computer is affected, but I don't know a lot about computers so I suppose it could be.

#4 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:10 PM

View PostDave087, on 03 March 2011 - 11:10 AM, said:

I can't help you out with your problem, but I had the same thing happen to me. I had ~4500 songs in my iTunes library and about a week ago my wife was listening to itunes and clicked on a song and it said unable to play...., cannot find source file, and sure enough about 1800 were gone from my library. Can't find them on my hard drive, they're well hidden if they are still there. And I checked one folder where i had ripped 6 or 7 CD's and only 1 was left in the folder the others were gone. Called Apple and they said it was the first time they had ever heard of it, which I don't believe because I've seen posts on the internet going back several years about the same problem. Just about all of the songs are from CD's that I own so I can rip them again, just a pain in the butt. I also didn't have a back-up, but I just purchased a Seagate 1TB external hard drive so now everything is backed up.

Anyone know if this is a virus?? I don't think it is, nothing else on my computer is affected, but I don't know a lot about computers so I suppose it could be.

If it is getting zapped from the hard drive, then it could be a virus/malware, a bug in either the OS (kind of doubtful) or iTunes (or maybe something else, but not too likely), or it could be a problem with your hard drive.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#5 User is offline   ice49man 

• PipPip

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

As smax013 said, iTunes doesn't actually hold the songs. It is just a viewer. It looks at all the songs you have added from every part of your hard drive(s). Say I add a song from C:\Dave's_Songs\ and I add another song from C:\Chelsea's_Songs\, iTunes will just view both of those songs in the same place if you're on the Music tab.

Now if you didn't actually delete all of those songs by highlighting everyone of them and hitting delete, then more than likely they are still on your hard drive, but iTunes is just not looking at them. If you know where you had all of the songs stored on your hard drive, then (in iTunes) go to File > Add File to Library... then just find the songs on your hard drive and add them to iTunes again.

In the case of your songs being lost and your only backup is your ipod, there is a way to not sync it and transfer the songs from your ipod to your hard drive.

If you have anything other than an iPod Touch then read how to do it here: http://www.makeuseof...n-5-easy-steps/

Now if you have an iPod Touch, then everything he says to do in that article is not going to work so don't even waste your time. Instead you are going to need to get a program called TuneAid.

You can get it here: http://www.digidna.n...roducts/tuneaid

For 1800 songs you're going to have to buy the full version because the trial only lets you do 20 or so but it will solve the problem if you really care about your music. Basically the program lets you view the music on your iPod and will let you transfer it to the hard drive which you can then go into iTunes and add those songs from wherever you put them on the hard drive.

Make sure that when you plug in your iPod or iTouch that you DO NOT LET IT SYNC or you will lose those songs on the iPod and then you've shot yourself. If it starts to sync then cancel it quick.

If you're computer is running slow, try cleaning it up with Advanced System Care from Iobit.

You can get that here: http://www.iobit.com/download.html

The Free Version works just as good as the paid version so no need to buy it. Has a bunch of great tools for general care of your computer.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you got your songs back!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users