Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Battery "plugged In Not Charging"

#1 User is offline   RoguePcGuide 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:34 AM

I have a acer laptop running windows 7, the problem is my battery is staying exactly at 10% and says "plugged in not charging". When I unplug it, it goes into sleep mode so I know that it really is 10 percent and not a glitch. I have tried searching for a solution on Google and tried going to device manager and uninstalling Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method and then searching for hardware changes which re installed it, I also searched for updates but I had the most recent one. Anyone know what could be the problem here? I'm really hoping I don't need a new battery, it seems like a software problem.
Thanks

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:36 AM

Hi. THis could be any number of things. You have checked for Updated drivers and you have the latest. It could be the power Brick, or settings in Power Management, or the Battery. It could also be a bad connection ( loose? ) The first and easiest thing to try would be to remove the battery and clean the contacts then replace the battery and see if that helps as it could be a bad connection there. The other thing is to check the connections between the Plug and the Motherboard to make sure they are not loose. That having been said, this still doesn't discount the possibity of a bad battery and/or power brick.

This post has been edited by coastie65: 18 March 2011 - 10:45 AM

Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:00 AM

View PostRoguePcGuide, on 18 March 2011 - 07:34 AM, said:

I have a acer laptop running windows 7, the problem is my battery is staying exactly at 10% and says "plugged in not charging". When I unplug it, it goes into sleep mode so I know that it really is 10 percent and not a glitch. I have tried searching for a solution on Google and tried going to device manager and uninstalling Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method and then searching for hardware changes which re installed it, I also searched for updates but I had the most recent one. Anyone know what could be the problem here? I'm really hoping I don't need a new battery, it seems like a software problem.
Thanks

Hi Rogue,
You didn't mention how old your Acer is, but even a newer laptop can have a battery go bad. Have you tried this?: boot to the BIOS and then unplug the power brick. This will allow the battery to deplete completely. After the battery depletes and the system shuts down recharge the battery but don't start your laptop until the battery is completely recharged.
This MAY clear a bad power management setting (I'm making some assumptions here) and allow your laptop to charge properly when the OS is running.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users