Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

List Of Components For A New Desktop Computer

#1 User is offline   MS69whip 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:17 PM

I would like to hear suggestions for a new fast computer that I would want to use for the following purposes:

1. work with an office suite(not MS).
2. Send receive and manage email.
3. anonymous Web Surfing under a free proxy server.
4. Chat on the web.
5. Watch live TV and record HDTV on my Computer HD TV monitor.

I DO NOT PLAY VIDEO GAMES so I dont need to pay for that capability.
a. I would like to have the best SSD between 120 and 250 GB capacity and..
b. a 2 tuner Video Card with remote control.

I would like to select the finest quality components available in the American Market. Quality in terms of manufacture and design (not in terms of overkill capacities for things I dont need..no overclocking ... no video games)

I would really appreciate suggestions of latest proven quality components.
as I want to be able to price how much this system would command.
I have recently retired and I would like to maybe move into my last quality system. as I would be unlikely be able to pay to replace it as I grow older.

I would probably install Linux on it to save on the cost of an OS (although I am totally new to it as i have always used Windows versions), I do have Windows 7 Home 64-bit right now which I may also end up installing on the new system.

Thank you kindly

#2 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:10 AM

I would suggest building your system based on the new Intel Sandy Bridge processors....
http://www.newegg.co...name=LGA%201155
...and an H67 based motherboard (to take advantage of the graphics built in to the processor)...
http://www.newegg.co...h67+motherboard
The reviews for Intel's new processor have been very good, and it is surprisingly affordable at the lower end.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#3 User is offline   myloginname 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:55 AM

Hey,

Before we can start choosing parts, there are a few questions I'd like to ask.

One thing that we must know.... what is your budget? You need to be very specific with this... A slight difference in price can make a huge difference in terms of component quality. Otherwise, we won't know which components to pick. Posted Image

Also, how good of a tuner card would you like? I don't know if you'd like extremely high quality, or just a simple card.

Finally, you mentioned that you don't play video games, but you want to watch live TV and stream it. So even though you won't be needing a very good graphics card, I will still recommend you use a simple dedicated graphics card for TV purposes.

http://i774.photobuc...lienSigcopy.png
Credits: NASA, APOD. Texture and artwork by Adama, 2009.

Spoiler

"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity, to seize everything you ever wanted in one moment,
would you capture it?? Or just let it slip?"

#4 User is offline   ElfBane 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:00 AM

View Postmyloginname, on 03 April 2011 - 07:55 AM, said:

Hey,

Before we can start choosing parts, there are a few questions I'd like to ask.

One thing that we must know.... what is your budget? You need to be very specific with this... A slight difference in price can make a huge difference in terms of component quality. Otherwise, we won't know which components to pick. Posted Image

Also, how good of a tuner card would you like? I don't know if you'd like extremely high quality, or just a simple card.

Finally, you mentioned that you don't play video games, but you want to watch live TV and stream it. So even though you won't be needing a very good graphics card, I will still recommend you use a simple dedicated graphics card for TV purposes.

Agree. If the OP wants seamless streaming video then you are going to need an excellent graphics rig.

#5 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:19 AM

From what I have been reading, the Intel IGP on Sandy Bridge should do just as good, if not better than most dedicated cards up to the AMD 5750, in terms of video performance.

Another thing to consider, op, if you use Linux, it will be much harder to find software that can compress video using the video card as you can in Windows.

From what you have listed though, a sandy bridge with an i5 chip should do you fine. Right now, one of the best boards you can buy is the Asus Sabertooth. I would also say get between 4 and 8 GB of ram. For the SSD, I would suggest either Corsair Force, or OCZ Vertex 2 drives. If you can wait a month or two, I would even say get the OCZ Vertex 3 based on the new sand force controller. Though I would say, getting a storage drive is probably a good idea if you will be recording video, for that, I would say get a WD black ed drive with a 5 year warranty.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users