Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best Free Internet Security Suite?

#1 User is offline   loops09 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:09 PM

Has this happened to anyone else? I was doing homework on the couch. When I got up, the velcro strap on the cord stuck to the (fabric) couch and yanked the laptop out of my hand. It fell to the floor, breaking the screen. It didn't crack, just turned black like a big ink blob. Luckily Asus has accidential warranty if you register, and they are going to fix it. In the mean time, I'm using my old xp pc in the spare room. It has outdated security.

Anyone recommend a free interent security suite (firewall, anti-virus, spyware)? I know Microsoft Security Essential is decent. Any other suites out there? Prefer all in one. Dont want to install and update different security software. Although I do supplement with Malwarebytes. Will only be using pc 10-14 days at the most. Thanks

#2 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:47 PM

View Postloops09, on 21 April 2011 - 07:09 PM, said:

Has this happened to anyone else? I was doing homework on the couch. When I got up, the velcro strap on the cord stuck to the (fabric) couch and yanked the laptop out of my hand. It fell to the floor, breaking the screen. It didn't crack, just turned black like a big ink blob. Luckily Asus has accidential warranty if you register, and they are going to fix it. In the mean time, I'm using my old xp pc in the spare room. It has outdated security.

Anyone recommend a free interent security suite (firewall, anti-virus, spyware)? I know Microsoft Security Essential is decent. Any other suites out there? Prefer all in one. Dont want to install and update different security software. Although I do supplement with Malwarebytes. Will only be using pc 10-14 days at the most. Thanks

Hi,

I heard it said on these forums that MSE is better for W7.
Sounds like you have an older OS, perhaps XP.

Still, I would consider MSE for your all in one temporary security protection.

BTW, good to hear your accident is covered.

Rommel

#3 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:48 PM

I recommend and use Avira Free which runs in real-time unless you set it otherwise. I also use SuperAntispyware Free and Malwarebytes Free as on-demand scanners. You already have MBAM and mentioned wanting only a few programs, so I think you'll be fine w/o SAS.

For Windows XP computers, I usually recommend Comodo Firewall (free), but since it's only going to be used for about two weeks, you may be better off w/o it. Comodo takes some time to understand what programs you like and can be overwhelming in the beginning. Zone Alarm Free Firewall may be better for your needs. I haven't used it personally, but a lot of other folks recommend it for Windows XP. If you do pick Comodo, make sure you un-check the option to install the supplied anti-virus because you only need the firewall. Comodo's anti-virus isn't that great from what I hear, so I wouldn't choose it over Avira.
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.

#4 User is offline   Aladar 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:49 AM

Try avast. That's what I use.
"A failure in planning is a plan for failure."

"When destiny calls, the chosen have no choice."

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:05 PM

What's wrong with MSE on XP? I've been doing that for quite a while. Is the older firewall in XP (and I think MSE uses the one built into windows) inadequate?
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#6 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

Loops: What is your ISP?? The cheapest and most comprehensive anti-virus support may be with your ISP's security suite. It is my firm conviction that the ISP's have all the power to stop those virises at their servers and NOT pass them on to their users. If they can't stop it, no amount of money paid to any writers of software can really be effective as the ISP's themselves.

#7 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:02 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 23 April 2011 - 12:05 PM, said:

What's wrong with MSE on XP? I've been doing that for quite a while. Is the older firewall in XP (and I think MSE uses the one built into windows) inadequate?

Yes, the firewall in Windows XP that was added with SP2 is inadequate. It provides protection only from incoming connections and does so simply by setting a program block/unblock. The firewall in Vista and 7 is much better. It protects from incoming & outgoing connections and has a huge list of preset settings for various applications, protocols, and ports.

I don't see how using MSE on Win XP is any worse than on Win 7. The system requirements say MSE is fine on Win XP. I think suggesting MSE is better on Win 7 is a psychological thing because both programs were released around the same time and both are widely popular. Looking at the Features & Benefits, I don't see anything that says Vista/7 only. It's the same program on all 3 operating systems.

#8 User is offline   loops09 

• PipPip

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:52 PM

I found a stand alone Norton Anti virus 2010 disk I had stored away in my desk. I accidently bought it on ebay last year. It was one of those 3 in da morning purchases where I didn't read the description well and thought I was getting Norton 360. Anyways, I installed Comodo firewall, the Norton anti virus, and updated Spyware Terminator. It's exactly what I didn't want to do, having to update different softwares, but I read mostly good reviews about Comodo on the forum. Is this adaquate? Is the Norton 2010 fine for a year? The Spyware Terminator was already on the pc. It has real time protection. Do I need the ST, or should I uninstall it? Thanks again.

#9 User is offline   QueenPendragon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:05 AM

I had enough with Dell's pre-installed Mafee.

I ditched it and got Avast, which I like a lot better. Malwarebytes is my backup.

This post has been edited by QueenPendragon: 29 April 2011 - 08:06 AM

#10 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:09 AM

View PostQueenPendragon, on 29 April 2011 - 08:05 AM, said:

I ditched it and got Avast, which I like a lot better. Malwarebytes is my backup.

Yeah, I use it myself. You will still need an good Antispyware App as well. SUPERantispyware is good, but the FREE version doesn't run actively and you want something that will run actively to go with the the Avast! A/v you have installed. I will look and see what I can find as nothing comes to mind at the moment. Here is some information on SUPERantispyware. I got the Pro version for $29.95 and opted for a lifetime license for a total of $39.90. I use Webroot Spysweeper elsewhwere, which comes free with MSN Premium.

This post has been edited by coastie65: 29 April 2011 - 08:19 AM

Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#11 User is offline   QueenPendragon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:13 AM

View Postcoastie65, on 29 April 2011 - 08:09 AM, said:

Yeah, I use it myself. You will still need an good Antispyware App as well. SUPERantispyware is good, but the FREE version doesn't run actively and you want something that will run actively to go with the the Avast! A/v you have installed. I will look and see what I can find as nothing comes to mind at the moment.

I used to use Spybot Search and Destroy...is it any good?

#12 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

View PostQueenPendragon, on 29 April 2011 - 08:13 AM, said:

View Postcoastie65, on 29 April 2011 - 08:09 AM, said:

Yeah, I use it myself. You will still need an good Antispyware App as well. SUPERantispyware is good, but the FREE version doesn't run actively and you want something that will run actively to go with the the Avast! A/v you have installed. I will look and see what I can find as nothing comes to mind at the moment.

I used to use Spybot Search and Destroy...is it any good?

Hi. I can't really say as I have never used it and I haven't looked at any reviews on it as yet. For whatever reason, I am a bit skeptical of it though.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#13 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

I used Spybot for years but ditched it within the past 2-3 for Malwarebytes. Spybot wasn't doing a good job protecting from, detecting, and removing malware. I haven't heard anything good about it in a long time and would say it's best days are behind us. It had a good run.

#14 User is offline   QueenPendragon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:35 AM

View PostAgentF, on 29 April 2011 - 10:19 PM, said:

I used Spybot for years but ditched it within the past 2-3 for Malwarebytes. Spybot wasn't doing a good job protecting from, detecting, and removing malware. I haven't heard anything good about it in a long time and would say it's best days are behind us. It had a good run.

Oh, so Malwarebytes does find Spyware?

#15 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:39 AM

View PostQueenPendragon, on 30 April 2011 - 07:35 AM, said:

View PostAgentF, on 29 April 2011 - 10:19 PM, said:

Oh, so Malwarebytes does find Spyware?

Yep. It is very good and I have it installed as an on demand scanner for that reason.

#16 User is offline   johhny 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:33 AM

Kaspersky Internet Security would be the good choice.

#17 User is offline   Justin123 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members-

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:53 AM

Internet Security Suite is a software Bundle of several security tools to protect your computer. There is lots of such suite available in the market from the world leading Security software companies like Kaspersky, TrendMicro, McAfee, Norton, AVG and many more. Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 is the best security system.

#18 User is offline   davidwilsonc 

• PipPip

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:03 AM

Norton is the best internet security suite. you get full support from the Norton chat team at any time.

#19 User is offline   flipflops123 

• Pip

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:42 AM

Hello guys.....

I am use Avast Antivirus. I think it is better then other antivirus. Try to use it.

#20 User is offline   thietkelogo 

• Pip

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

Avira Free is the best i use.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users