PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Broadband Performance With Comcast 6 Mbps Vs 12 Mbps - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Broadband Performance With Comcast 6 Mbps Vs 12 Mbps

#1 User is offline   Bill45 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

I have been using Comcast 12 mbps internet service for a little over 2 yrs. Now I see I can save
$10/mo by switching to 6 mbps. Can any statement be made as to the difference I might see in my
computer's online performance if I did switch from 12 to 6? My computer is a Dell Inspiron 530.

Thank you!

#2 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

Other than the obvious speed decrease by around half, you'll likely have a decrease in monthly bandwidth. Bandwidth is data transfer and includes both downloading data from the Internet and uploading data to it. ISPs typically keep information concerning bandwidth on the down low. They're more interested in showing you connection speed and price. Ask Comcast what the difference in bandwidth between the two plans and also get an idea of how much bandwidth you use monthly. It's likely to be in the Gigabyte range.
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.

#3 User is offline   Bill45 

• PipPip

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:02 AM

View PostAgentF, on 30 April 2011 - 03:08 PM, said:

Other than the obvious speed decrease by around half, you'll likely have a decrease in monthly bandwidth. Bandwidth is data transfer and includes both downloading data from the Internet and uploading data to it. ISPs typically keep information concerning bandwidth on the down low. They're more interested in showing you connection speed and price. Ask Comcast what the difference in bandwidth between the two plans and also get an idea of how much bandwidth you use monthly. It's likely to be in the Gigabyte range.

#4 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:53 PM

View PostAgentF, on 30 April 2011 - 03:08 PM, said:

To my knowledge, all of Comcast's broadband services have the same "limit"...250 GB. I still have 6 meg service and to my knowledge I am "capped" (it is more like "throttled") at 250 GB.

Here is Comcast's TOS:

http://xfinity.comca...work/amendment/
Good riddance PCWorld.

#5 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:56 PM

View PostBill45, on 30 April 2011 - 01:50 PM, said:

I have been using Comcast 12 mbps internet service for a little over 2 yrs. Now I see I can save
$10/mo by switching to 6 mbps. Can any statement be made as to the difference I might see in my
computer's online performance if I did switch from 12 to 6? My computer is a Dell Inspiron 530.

Thank you!

Basically, the difference will be your "speeds". If you are doing typical browsing and email most of the time, you likely will notice very little difference. Where you will mainly notice differences is in downloading big files such as movies or large OS updates. I have had 6 meg service my entire time and have never really been tempted to upgrade. Much of the time I actually get speeds faster than 6 meg. Even when I don't I don't really notice it that much. I do download quite a few rented movies from iTunes, but that is usually something that I let happen in the "background" as I do not usually watch them right away.
Good riddance PCWorld.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users