PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Two Itunes Accounts On One Pc - PCWorld Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Two Itunes Accounts On One Pc What does it take to set up two iTunes accounts on one PC

#1 User is offline   Lockamy 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 08-May 11

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

I've had an Ipod for some time now. I now have an Ipod Nano. For Christmas I got my wife an Ipod (Itouch). My iTunes account has always been on our main desktop PC and I set my wife's account up on a laptop that we have with a second e-mail address. Now the laptop (which was rarely used) is dying and I'm not real interested in investing several hundered dollars just to have a separate "computer" for her Itouch. Is there a way to set up two separate iTunes accounts on our desktop PC?

Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by Lockamy: 08 May 2011 - 02:56 PM

0

#2 User is offline   smax013 

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,139
  • Joined: 28-January 07

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:25 PM

View PostLockamy, on 08 May 2011 - 02:55 PM, said:

I've had an Ipod for some time now. I now have an Ipod Nano. For Christmas I got my wife an Ipod (Itouch). My iTunes account has always been on our main desktop PC and I set my wife's account up on a laptop that we have with a second e-mail address. Now the laptop (which was rarely used) is dying and I'm not real interested in investing several hundered dollars just to have a separate "computer" for her Itouch. Is there a way to set up two separate iTunes accounts on our desktop PC?

Thanks in advance.


Just to clarify...

When you say "iTunes account", do you mean the actual iTunes account (that you log into by using your email address that you use to make purchases from the iTunes Store? Or do you mean just an iTunes setup that you use to sync your iPod to?

You should note that you can sync multiple iPods(/iPhones/iPads) to iTunes without changing iTunes libraries, iTunes Store accounts, or User logins for a computer.

Now, if you have setup an actual second iTunes account linked to a second email address, then all purchases (with the exception of most music as most music from the iTunes Store is now DRM free) are linked to that account. Thus, if your wife used her account to purchase movies or TV shows (and maybe apps...but I am not completely sure on that), then iTunes will need to be logged into that account when you sync those videos to the iPod Touch.

If that is the case, there are several ways to deal with it...

1) The most straight forward way, but kind of a pain in the rear, is just to combine the libraries onto the one computer. Everything will be in one library. You will just need to remember to log into her account when you want to sync any paid video content (and possibly apps) to her iPod Touch. As such, any time she wants to sync her iPod Touch, you would have to make sure that you are logged into her iTunes account.

2) Setup a separate library for iTunes, but under the same user account in Windows. This one keeps the two libraries separate, but I believe it keeps the need to continually log in and out of iTunes accounts as logging into such accounts is NOT tied to a specific library. Thus, this is very similar to #1, but actually more of a pain in the rear...you would have to remember to start up in the appropriate library as well as log into the correct iTunes account.

3) The overall best option would likely be to setup another user account on the desktop computer (what kind is it by the way? What OS is it running?). Then when your wife wants to sync her iPod, she logs into the computer with her own user account and then iTunes will be all setup for her to sync...it should remember her library and her iTunes account. When you want to sync stuff with your iPod, you log into the computer with the current user account.

4) This is a variation on #1. If she has not bought few or any videos, then you could just abandon her account. Just combine any music she bought into your iTunes library and just start syncing her iPod Touch with your account. The wildcard in this scenario would be the apps. Any free apps are a non-issue...you just re-download them again. It will be paid for apps the might be a problem. I don't know if you can "transfer" paid apss from one account to another. In other words, I don't recall if apps are hard tied to the account or not.
Good riddance PCWorld.
0

#3 User is offline   Lockamy 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 08-May 11

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

smax, thanks for your reply, very much appreciated.

To clarify. I have my iTunes account (and library) on our desktop PC running Windows 7. I exclusively do music and podcasts on my Ipod Nano.

My wife (I ofter refer to her as our "Scheduling Department") uses he iTouch as an organizer (calendar, address book, etc.). When I set it up for her I put about 10 songs on it, but I don't think she's listened to them once. For her iTunes account (and library) I have her on a Dell Laptop with Windows Vista. This laptop is dying (it won't charge anymore and I only have a couple of hours left on the battery) and I don't want her to have all that information she laboriously entered into her iTouch without some kind of backup and synching.

I would like to create a separate library for her on the desktop PC to synch to. It would also be helpful for her to have access to iTunes for "Apps".

I'm not real savvy when it comes to understanding "computers". That's why I subscribed to PCWorld to try to learn more and take advantage of support such as yours.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
0

#4 User is offline   smax013 

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,139
  • Joined: 28-January 07

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:21 AM

View PostLockamy, on 09 May 2011 - 06:04 PM, said:

smax, thanks for your reply, very much appreciated.

To clarify. I have my iTunes account (and library) on our desktop PC running Windows 7. I exclusively do music and podcasts on my Ipod Nano.

My wife (I ofter refer to her as our "Scheduling Department") uses he iTouch as an organizer (calendar, address book, etc.). When I set it up for her I put about 10 songs on it, but I don't think she's listened to them once. For her iTunes account (and library) I have her on a Dell Laptop with Windows Vista. This laptop is dying (it won't charge anymore and I only have a couple of hours left on the battery) and I don't want her to have all that information she laboriously entered into her iTouch without some kind of backup and synching.

I would like to create a separate library for her on the desktop PC to synch to. It would also be helpful for her to have access to iTunes for "Apps".

I'm not real savvy when it comes to understanding "computers". That's why I subscribed to PCWorld to try to learn more and take advantage of support such as yours.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.


Sounds like she does not currently have much music or any videos. Does she have any paid for Apps right now? Or just free ones?

If she does not currently have any paid for Apps and no purchased videos (movies or TV Shows), then my suggestion would be to just set the iPod Touch up with your user account and iTunes account on the desktop. The only reason why you would NOT want to do this would be because you want to maintain a separate calendar, address book, etc from hers. If you don't mind using the same calendar, address book, etc as her, then this is likely the easiest option. You would just need to transfer over the calendar and address book (anything else that she uses?) from the laptop to the desktop and you would be good to go.

Just so you know, there are some other options that you could use for syncing the calendar and address book...ways that are done wirelessly (i.e. no need to hook the iPod Touch up to sync with the cable).
Good riddance PCWorld.
0

#5 User is offline   Lockamy 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 08-May 11

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

View Postsmax013, on 13 May 2011 - 07:21 AM, said:

Just so you know, there are some other options that you could use for syncing the calendar and address book...ways that are done wirelessly (i.e. no need to hook the iPod Touch up to sync with the cable).


Thanks again, I really apprieciate you sharing your knowledge. Is there a place where I can find out how to sych the calendar and address book wirelessly? That sounds like a great option.

Thanks.
0

#6 User is offline   smax013 

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,139
  • Joined: 28-January 07

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:28 AM

View PostLockamy, on 14 May 2011 - 10:03 AM, said:

View Postsmax013, on 13 May 2011 - 07:21 AM, said:

Just so you know, there are some other options that you could use for syncing the calendar and address book...ways that are done wirelessly (i.e. no need to hook the iPod Touch up to sync with the cable).


Thanks again, I really apprieciate you sharing your knowledge. Is there a place where I can find out how to sych the calendar and address book wirelessly? That sounds like a great option.

Thanks.


What does she use on the computer for a calendar and address book? This can potentially affect the options.

The two basic options for wirelessly syncing is MobileMe and Google.

MobileMe is NOT free (at least at the moment...there are some rumors that Apple might change this...not sure I buy the rumors). MobileMe works fairly well with most/all calendar and address book options in Windows.

Google is free. It will work with Outlook for calendars, but NOT for the contacts/address book. Not sure about the calendar and address book that is built into Windows Vista and Windows 7.
Good riddance PCWorld.
0

#7 User is offline   Evildave 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,287
  • Joined: 24-January 08

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:31 PM

So get virtualbox (free) and install windoze on it from some old CD. The other nice thing about a VM, is you can copy it to another computer pretty easily. So if you finally get another PC, you can just move the VM over, and it's all set up.

Or you can jump through some simple hoops and get iTunes working in Linux, which would make for a virtual machine with lighter memory and CPU demands.

Things like Amarok, Banshee, Songbird, gtkpod, etc. all support managing music and play lists on an iPod directly.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users