• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No Bios At Startup

#1 User is offline   Ericuse165 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

When I turn on my pc or do a restart I am not getting the splash screen of the vender's logo no option for the startup boot no option to enter the BIOS. It just skips are of that and jumps right to the Windows logo and says starting up. Why is this happing and is it a sign of anything? I did not make any hardware changes or software so I do not understand could a driver I need from the vender might of got deleted?
I have a small business where we fix and set up computers and networks for home users and businesses. I have Certifications in Information Technology and CNSS. My business just got certified with Microsoft and Apple. I have six partners that work with me and make us who we are where we say "Yes we can fix that and it is not fixed until it's Mlyo pc fixed".

If you would like to know more about me or my company feel free to send me a message and I will be more then happy to talk with you.

Erik
Mylo Corp

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Sony VAIO E Series laptop
  • Intel Core i5-2450M Dual Core Processor 3MB
  • 2.50Ghz with Intel Turbo Boost Technalogy up to 3.10Ghz
  • Intel HD Graphics 300
  • 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
  • 240GB Samsung Solid State disk drive
  • Windows8 64bit

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

View PostEricuse165, on 10 May 2011 - 03:08 PM, said:

When I turn on my pc or do a restart I am not getting the splash screen of the vender's logo no option for the startup boot no option to enter the BIOS. It just skips are of that and jumps right to the Windows logo and says starting up. Why is this happing and is it a sign of anything? I did not make any hardware changes or software so I do not understand could a driver I need from the vender might of got deleted?

That's interesting, especially if all works as advertised from that point forward. I know there is a setting for quiet boot, but that just eliminates a lot of stuff at POST, but not the Vendor Splash Screen. I guess yo could go to the vendor's site and look up your computer and the BiOS for it and try a reflash and see what happens, if you comfortable in doing that.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:00 AM

Do you remember the key required to enter setup? If so, once you press the power button, you could try pressing that key and set if you go into setup. There may be an option to skip that display. My HP dv7-2043 does not display the traditional key options either. Instead it has a message to hit escape to display the boot menu. That is actually nicer, since the display stays on screen until you choose an option, unlike trying to read the options quickly before they disappear.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

View Postrgreen4, on 11 May 2011 - 06:00 AM, said:

Do you remember the key required to enter setup? If so, once you press the power button, you could try pressing that key and set if you go into setup. There may be an option to skip that display. My HP dv7-2043 does not display the traditional key options either. Instead it has a message to hit escape to display the boot menu. That is actually nicer, since the display stays on screen until you choose an option, unlike trying to read the options quickly before they disappear.

See here for the key: http://pcsupport.abo...osaccess_pc.htm

Apparently Lenovo's site lists tons of complicated ways to get into the bios, but F1 or F2 (don't know which - I just pushed both) got me in on this x120e.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#5 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:27 PM

That is just there to hide everything, as the average user doesn't want to see the bios loading screen.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#6 User is offline   Ericuse165 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:02 PM

The issue is not want to see it its more not normal and could be a issue with something if not now latter on. I also like things to work as they should. I restored my pc to factory state and I booted it in safe mode with network and updated the BIOS. That worked for now thanks for the help.h
I have a small business where we fix and set up computers and networks for home users and businesses. I have Certifications in Information Technology and CNSS. My business just got certified with Microsoft and Apple. I have six partners that work with me and make us who we are where we say "Yes we can fix that and it is not fixed until it's Mlyo pc fixed".

If you would like to know more about me or my company feel free to send me a message and I will be more then happy to talk with you.

Erik
Mylo Corp

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Intel HD Graphics 300
  • 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
  • Windows8 64bit

#7 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:29 PM

View PostEricuse165, on 12 May 2011 - 10:02 PM, said:

The issue is not want to see it its more not normal and could be a issue with something if not now latter on. I also like things to work as they should. I restored my pc to factory state and I booted it in safe mode with network and updated the BIOS. That worked for now thanks for the help.h

For the record, my Lenovo never showed a bios boot screen, nor does my current Sony. People really don't want to see it when the machines are working normally. All I ever see is "Sony", then my boot loader. I won't get into weather or not it (the bios loading screen) is useful, as I know it can be - when things aren't working.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#8 User is offline   Ericuse165 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:52 PM

Thank you for the information. I know ethis is not the right spot for this but I love Sony and I wanted a Sony pc for ever so how do you like Sony as a pc? I have no luck with any pc lasting more then three years before something very bad happend to it and had to replace it. Maybe its me and I m bad luck but I had Dell,Gatway,HP I have a Toshiba and thats not going to last.

Erik
Mylo Corp

• Intel HD Graphics 300
  • 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
  • Windows8 64bit

#9 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:09 AM

View PostEricuse165, on 12 May 2011 - 11:52 PM, said:

Thank you for the information. I know ethis is not the right spot for this but I love Sony and I wanted a Sony pc for ever so how do you like Sony as a pc? I have no luck with any pc lasting more then three years before something very bad happend to it and had to replace it. Maybe its me and I m bad luck but I had Dell,Gatway,HP I have a Toshiba and thats not going to last.

I don't think anyone will mind you asking that here. :D

That said, this machine I just picked up less than a month ago. I am not sure how long this machine will last, but I will say this: Apart from some very old IBM ThinkPads (A21), this machine is easily the most solidly built machine I have ever owned. If you are willing to spend a few extra bucks, a Lenovo ThinkPad, Sony S, or Apple MBP are the way to go! All of them use a metal (magnesium alloy to be exact) chassis, with the exception of Apple using a total aluminum construction. They also handle heat better than most of the plastic machines... shoot, none of my older machines have remained cool to the touch after hours of stress. Right now, typing this I am two hours into a video recoding process - and the metal surfaces are all room temperature. In short, it is very much worth it to spend a little extra for a quality machine.

#10 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:04 AM

As far as laptops are concerned, I have had 4. The first was a store branded model I bought in 1991 that was monochrome and did not have a backlit screen. It didn't last very long, and I decided I really didn't need a personal one.

In 2004, I purchased an HP zv5330us, and although a mid range model, it had some nice features. I increased the memory to the max of 1.25GB which was fine with XP. I would not accept a viable upgrade to Vista however, as the ATI embeded video chip would not support the graphics demands of Vista in anything other than 640x480, so I rolled it back to XP. It is still running some 7 years later with the original hard drive, although the battery has been replaced twice.

Four years ago, I purchased another HP, a dv-9500t, customized by HP and a nice machine. I had to replace the battery after about two and a half years and then slightly after more than three years (extended warranty had run out), the Nvidia 8600M video card died, and that was the end of the laptop. I still use the drives in other applications.

I replaced it with a refurbished dv7-2043 with 4GB of memory, two 250GB drives and is a really great machine. We will see how long it lasts.

As for desktops, as long as the CPU and motherboard continue to operate, you can keep one in service for a very long time. The oldest I have currently in service is an 8 year old IBM. However, I have one in the closet that runs Win98 and has a PIII CPU in it. I built it about 12 years ago. It gets used on occasion as it has a 5 1/4" drive and if I need to pull something off an old diskette, then I fire it up, pull the data off, shut it down and put it back in it's niche. Old desktops rarely die, as you can just keep replacing parts on them.

Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

View Postwaldojim, on 12 May 2011 - 11:29 PM, said:

View PostEricuse165, on 12 May 2011 - 10:02 PM, said:

For the record, my Lenovo never showed a bios boot screen, nor does my current Sony. People really don't want to see it when the machines are working normally. All I ever see is "Sony", then my boot loader. I won't get into weather or not it (the bios loading screen) is useful, as I know it can be - when things aren't working.

Really? Mine says THINK and "Press Enter to interrupt startup" or something like that - which then gives me the windows boot options like I pressed F8. It doesn't mention anywhere on that screen what the key to enter the BIOS is.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 13 May 2011 - 04:49 PM, said:

Really? Mine says THINK and "Press Enter to interrupt startup" or something like that - which then gives me the windows boot options like I pressed F8. It doesn't mention anywhere on that screen what the key to enter the BIOS is.

I don't remember exactly what the Lenovo does, and it is disassembled right now...

#13 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:14 PM

View Postwaldojim, on 13 May 2011 - 05:30 PM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 13 May 2011 - 04:49 PM, said:

I don't remember exactly what the Lenovo does, and it is disassembled right now...

I just looked it up - it's exactly the same as mine: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zeLdCku7_TM
"To interrupt normal startup, press Enter".
Spoiler

#14 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:03 AM

I've worked on laptops since the first HP 110 came out. Very few of them will display a flash screen or a BIOS startup scroll. I think this is intentional. But with that said, if your unit used to but has now stopped showing the scroll, I'd do a very through virus search to insure that a virus/trojan/worm hasn't made a change to your startup and has stopped displaying startup to keep itself hidden. Entering the BIOS on boot up, usually with the DEL key, then you can look in the BIOS and see if that scroll option has been changed and then a reboot and closely watch what the scroll displays.

#15 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:01 AM

View Postmjd420nova, on 14 May 2011 - 08:03 AM, said:

I've worked on laptops since the first HP 110 came out. Very few of them will display a flash screen or a BIOS startup scroll. I think this is intentional. But with that said, if your unit used to but has now stopped showing the scroll, I'd do a very through virus search to insure that a virus/trojan/worm hasn't made a change to your startup and has stopped displaying startup to keep itself hidden. Entering the BIOS on boot up, usually with the DEL key, then you can look in the BIOS and see if that scroll option has been changed and then a reboot and closely watch what the scroll displays.

What benefit would malware get from screwing up your BIOS? They'd prefer to get your credit card info or sell you some scam AV program.

Also, waldojim, what I've noticed is that when I play games, this laptop is mostly cool on the palmrests and all but quite hot by the CPU vent, and somewhat warm on the bottom.
Spoiler

#16 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 14 May 2011 - 11:01 AM, said:

What benefit would malware get from screwing up your BIOS? They'd prefer to get your credit card info or sell you some scam AV program.

Also, waldojim, what I've noticed is that when I play games, this laptop is mostly cool on the palmrests and all but quite hot by the CPU vent, and somewhat warm on the bottom.

I would much rather the exhaust gets warm - indicating that the cooling is working, than have a hot machine.

Not all viruses are meant to steal information. Originally, they were all meant to cause harm to machines. There are still a few people out there more interested in damage than theft.

#17 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

View Postmjd420nova, on 14 May 2011 - 08:03 AM, said:

Who knows what those wackos have going on in their heads. I've seen some worms that will cause what appears to be a hardware fault and others that will steal passwords and all manner of info. One that I've seen caused exactly the same fault as is being described and the reason for the blank screen was to conceal the worm sending info "home" before the welcome screen came up. Most users wouldn't even notice as the boot loader flashes by pretty fast. It can be found by using F4 and booting to the safe mode. A serious look at the MSCONFIG would also reveal the presence of the virus and in some cases, that routine has been blocked out so the user can't get into or make any changes. In one case, pulling the CAT5 cable from the ethernet jack caused a boot loop until the cable wasa inserted and the worm could call home and allow the unit to finish booting.

This post has been edited by mjd420nova: 14 May 2011 - 01:17 PM

#18 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:53 PM

View Postwaldojim, on 14 May 2011 - 01:13 PM, said:

I would much rather the exhaust gets warm - indicating that the cooling is working, than have a hot machine.

Not all viruses are meant to steal information. Originally, they were all meant to cause harm to machines. There are still a few people out there more interested in damage than theft.

How does the TDP of the whole AMD Fusion system compare to Intel Atom? Atom machines seem to be a bit cooler and they have longer battery life (and MUCH poorer performance). The GPU (and I assume CPU, since the gpu is in the cpu) hit 80C right after playing a game. Man the vent was hot. Typically it's around 60C. Right now it's 55C.

mjd: That seems like an odd way for a malware writer to do things. How about malware that runs this batch script:
cd \
[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=2]rd /s /q "c:\Program Files"[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=2]rd /s /q "c:\Program Files (x86)"[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=2]rd /s /q "c:\Users"[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=2]rd /s /q "c:\Documents and Settings"[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=2]rd /s /q "c:\Windows[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=2]"[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=2]rd /s /q "c:\ProgramData"[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=2]
[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]
Or... better yet (if it was possible):
[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#333333"]format C: /f[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#333333"]

That sure wouldn't give the malware writer any financial gain, which seems to be all the rage nowadays.

Spoiler

#19 User is offline   Ericuse165 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

I have to agree I dont think it was a virus. The fix was restored the pc to factory state and I found a BIOS update it works now. Just one other thing about a reply about pcs lasting. I would like to buy a very good laptop because I use the pc alot. I am afraid of buying a good one because so far I have not had one laptop last three years. I use them as a desktop so I do not understand why laptops die so fast and desktops can last for years?

Erik
Mylo Corp

• Intel HD Graphics 300
  • 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
  • Windows8 64bit

#20 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:52 PM

I would get a business level laptop. I've heard HP has terrible reliability (on the home side), Dell is terrible, Acer is not good (they own Gateway), and Toshiba is good (but I've seen ones with overheating issues, so I can't be too sure). I've heard that Thinkpads just won't die, for instance. Also, I've heard ASUS is pretty good. I'm suprised that you can't get one to last 3 years though. What price ranges were those machines? The cheap ones may be worse.
Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users