• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:57 AM

ALL OF YOUR CHOICES ARE TO EXPENSIVE FOR THE CASUAL USER

#4 User is offline   fragino 

• Pip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

Almost all DSLRs are expensive but they are a relative bargain considering the features and image quality they can potentially represent. Most casual users do not need a DSLR but most of them do want a DSLR. Inexpensive = Point and Shoots. Expensive = DSLRs

This post has been edited by fragino: 17 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

#5 User is offline   crcraft 

• Pip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:15 PM

You list an item as a con but it is a pro and that is the battery situation. This camera uses AA and these are rechargeable and readily available. I and most people hate proprietary batteries!

#6 User is offline   garyoa1 

• PipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:11 AM

View Postcrcraft, on 17 May 2011 - 05:15 PM, said:

You list an item as a con but it is a pro and that is the battery situation. This camera uses AA and these are rechargeable and readily available. I and most people hate proprietary batteries!

Most folks who use point and shoot prefer AA batts. Probably rightly so since they don't use it as ofen as a pro. Those who use the DSLR realize the advantages of prop batts which greatly out weigh the AA's.

#7 User is offline   PP720802 

• PipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:15 AM

These are not "The Best" Dslr cam.
Because you put just about every brand currently existing in market now.
By mean of "the best", ple select just one or two model, with the most cost/quality ratio.

#8 User is online   3harrison 

• PipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:55 AM

View Postjfra45, on 17 May 2011 - 02:57 AM, said:

Then get a point and shoot camera or buy a used one. It won't have all the features or high ISO quality but can still take great pictures. A Canon Xti comes to mind- find one on Craigslist or eBay.
Second, a very good point and shoot (Canon G12 or Nikon P7000) costs almost as much as entry level dSLRs like the Nikon d3100. And if you think they're too expensive now, you should have seen it ten years ago! No, these are a bargain now when you consider all the features in them!

#9 User is online   3harrison 

• PipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:58 AM

View Postgaryoa1, on 19 May 2011 - 03:11 AM, said:

Most folks who use point and shoot prefer AA batts. Probably rightly so since they don't use it as ofen as a pro. Those who use the DSLR realize the advantages of prop batts which greatly out weigh the AA's.

Shoot- use rechargeable Double AA's if that's what you want- less expensive and far easier to find. Yes, the lithium ion batteries in the others will last longer but at up to $90 for a second battery is a REAL pain, if your local retailer even has one. (Not everyone lives in a metropolitan area.)

#10 User is online   3harrison 

• PipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:10 AM

View PostPP720802, on 19 May 2011 - 03:15 AM, said:

These are not "The Best" Dslr cam.
Because you put just about every brand currently existing in market now.
By mean of "the best", ple select just one or two model, with the most cost/quality ratio.

Every one of these has plus and minus points. Nikon and Canon have more accessories and lens choices but that doesn't make that the best choice. This list does include lots of choices, but there are LOTS of choices. They list their strengths and weaknesses- decide which ones are for you. Selecting one or two is your job. And what's sold by you. If you don't have a local Panasonic dealer you may not want a Panasonic. Sure, you can order anything on the internet but if the battery goes dead or you need a certain accessory in a hurry a local dealer is a must.
If there's any fine tuning I'd stick with a true dSLR like the Canon T3i, Nikon d3100, Sony a580 or Pentax Kx (don't worry about AA batteries, you can use rechargeables!). BUT if you want compactness, look at the other ones. (By true dSLR I mean having a 'through the lens optical finder'.)

#11 User is offline   nonseq 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:13 AM

There is a whole class of DSLR fixed single lens cameras that offer great features, glass, and image quality at a much lower price than those shown. I have had real good luck with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 12.1MP Digital Camera (w 18x Leica lens), as well as an older Fujifilm Finepix with manual zoom. Fujinon makes some of the finest zoom lenses in the world which are found on profession/broadcast gear everywhere. Their Fujifilm FinePix S4000 14 MP Digital Camera with Fujinon 30x Super Wide Angle Optical Zoom Lens looks really good and uses AA batteries. All are available at lower prices than those shown in the slideshow. They are different in that they don't offer interchangeable lenses but the glass is exceptional but they do not have true through the lens viewfinders

This post has been edited by nonseq: 19 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

#12 User is offline   Nuke61 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:18 PM

That's one of the downsides to a DSLR; the better P&S camera options are the Panasonic Lumix series. I bought an FZ-18K many years ago, before moving on to a true DSLR (D90) and it was a very good camera. Nowhere near the low light performance of a DSLR, but in good light it produced very good pictures. I'm sure the newer models are also very good, with acceptable pictures in low light.
2.93GHz i7 w/12 gigs, 27" IPS @2560x1440 and 23 IPS @1920x1080 fed by an ATI HD 5750
stock Droid Incredible 2
supercharged Z06 Corvette, now with 608 RWHP<evil laugh>
other toys :-)

#13 User is offline   jdingo 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:08 AM

I just spent the weekend with my new A55 Sony. Love it and feel my money is better spent than those in the slideshow. Not cheap, but quality justifies the expense.

#14 User is offline   JasonNewstedtrwm4 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

View PostBigDaddyDave39, on 16 May 2011 - 06:17 PM, said:

Hate all slide shows

Agreed. Put them in a grid with a "quick specs" on rollover, full data sheet and review on click.

You're trying too hard, PCWorld.

#15 Guest_subnuke678_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

The "lack" of a rechargeable battery is only a disadvantage or hassle if you're a 100 shots/expedition shooter. I bought this camera for my wife, who is an avid shutterbug. She shoots more than 300-500 pix/day on her excursions. Being able to take a spare set of high capacity Li or ordinary AAs is a huge advantage when she burns through a battery in just 2 or 3 days. AAs can be had anywhere, versus having to tote a spare battery pack & charger wherever she goes. Do people really burn through batteries plugging a camera directly into a TV/Monitor using HDMI? Your kidding right?!

#16 User is offline   bobwill 

• PipPip

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

View Post3harrison, on 19 May 2011 - 09:58 AM, said:

View Postgaryoa1, on 19 May 2011 - 03:11 AM, said:

Shoot- use rechargeable Double AA's if that's what you want- less expensive and far easier to find. Yes, the lithium ion batteries in the others will last longer but at up to $90 for a second battery is a REAL pain, if your local retailer even has one. (Not everyone lives in a metropolitan area.)

I have a Nikon D200 with the battery grip, which came with a cradle to run the camera off AA batteries in an emergency. Well, comparing the Lithium-Ion battery to the AA batteries, 1 Li-Ion battery is capable of shooting more photos than 6 AA batteries, yet the Lithium Ion battery is only about the size of 2, maybe 3 AA batteries.

#17 User is offline   crosswordbob 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

Speaking personally, I would recommend any true beginner get a point and shoot camera with decent manual controls. Get used to the different types of exposure you can get by setting the aperture, shutter-speed, ISO, focal length etc. while still getting reasonable shots out of it. Take advantage of the automation while learning to "see" the shot. And most of all, you'll have a better chance of knowing what to look for in terms of lenses for when you take the plunge and move up to DSLR. This could save you silly amounts of money spent on the "wrong" gear later.
If I dispute one single point in a post, that should not be taken as an indication that I agree/disagree with any other point made by that poster or anyone else in the thread. Or anywhere else. Ever.

#18 User is offline   Kazmatron 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:07 PM

The casual user would probably be better off with a point and shoot.

#19 User is offline   crosswordbob 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:51 PM

View PostKazmatron, on 28 June 2011 - 06:07 PM, said:

The casual user would probably be better off with a point and shoot.

I used to subscribe to a photography magazine. Seeing questions in the letters' page along the lines of "I've seen some shots of misty flowing water; is this possible with my [insert name of DSLR camera+lens I've no hope of ever affording] and how?" drove me up the wall.
If I dispute one single point in a post, that should not be taken as an indication that I agree/disagree with any other point made by that poster or anyone else in the thread. Or anywhere else. Ever.

#20 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:02 PM

View Postcrosswordbob, on 28 June 2011 - 06:51 PM, said:

I used to subscribe to a photography magazine. Seeing questions in the letters' page along the lines of "I've seen some shots of misty flowing water; is this possible with my [insert name of DSLR camera+lens I've no hope of ever affording] and how?" drove me up the wall.

I know exactly what you mean.

You seem to find that in all sorts of different hobbies though.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users