Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Facebook Security Issue,virus And Scans

#1 User is offline   QueenPendragon 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:04 PM

I was on my Facebook account this evening and was suddenly yanked off it and given a "your computer appears to have a virus" warning, specifically a 'Yahos' virus. My other account is fine for the moment, there is no error of this sort. Facebook wants me to download McAfee but I'm obviously reluctant. I scanned my computer with my two products, Avast free and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Nothing was found. I can't find any info on the 'yahos' thing online either, although I don't take that as gospel. I've contacted Facebook from the working account and am talking to them. Can I be relatively sure that the scans would have found a virus if it were really there? I know Malwarebytes is extremely good and Avast is as well. Plus, it's odd that it only alerted on the one account..hopefully it stays that way.

This post has been edited by QueenPendragon: 18 May 2011 - 09:31 PM

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:17 AM

View PostQueenPendragon, on 18 May 2011 - 09:04 PM, said:

I was on my Facebook account this evening and was suddenly yanked off it and given a "your computer appears to have a virus" warning, specifically a 'Yahos' virus. My other account is fine for the moment, there is no error of this sort. Facebook wants me to download McAfee but I'm obviously reluctant. I scanned my computer with my two products, Avast free and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Nothing was found. I can't find any info on the 'yahos' thing online either, although I don't take that as gospel. I've contacted Facebook from the working account and am talking to them. Can I be relatively sure that the scans would have found a virus if it were really there? I know Malwarebytes is extremely good and Avast is as well. Plus, it's odd that it only alerted on the one account..hopefully it stays that way.

Hi, queen. What program warned you about this? If it wasn't Avast, I'd be extremely skeptical. Sounds to me like a Rogue, trying to trick you into downloading some malware.

Lincoln

#3 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:17 AM

Hi. I haven't seen that, but I haven't been on my Facebook account in a while ( about a week or so ago ). Will see what if anything I can find on that thing.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#4 User is offline   QueenPendragon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:29 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 19 May 2011 - 08:17 AM, said:

View PostQueenPendragon, on 18 May 2011 - 09:04 PM, said:

Hi, queen. What program warned you about this? If it wasn't Avast, I'd be extremely skeptical. Sounds to me like a Rogue, trying to trick you into downloading some malware.

Lincoln

It was Facebook itself, unless it's one of those redirect phony site things. I did verify Facebook's partnering with McAfee but still am suspicious. However, even my phone login attempt said to go to a PC and follow the directions.

#5 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:53 AM

Hi Queen :

As Lincoln said, sounds like a "Rouge" is trying to
get you to download "it" . Unless it is a very new or
modified version of an "old" Rouge, the Malwarebytes
Anti-Malware scan ( hopefully their "Full" scan )
implies it did not get into your computer . By
visiting Avast's "Viruses and Worms" Support Forum,
I see you wisely started a thread there and "Pondus"
has replied to both your Posts . The "Helpers" on the
Avast Forums should be the most knowledgeable in this
particular quest for info .
For the very Best in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

#6 User is offline   QueenPendragon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:18 PM

Screenshots

[img width=800 height=500]http://i11.photobuck...untitled5-1.jpg[/img][img width=800 height=500]http://i11.photobuck...2/untitled2.jpg[/img]
[img width=800 height=500]http://i11.photobuck...2/untitled3.jpg[/img]
[img width=800 height=500]http://i11.photobuck...2/untitled4.jpg[/img]
[img width=800 height=500]http://i11.photobucket

#7 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:53 PM

facebook.com/roadblock is real as far as I know. I ran into that when I went to Canada (which makes sense, I was some 2500 miles away from home)

How facebook detects or thinks you have a virus, that is a complete mystery. You may just have run into a glitch in the system.

Keep us posted!
Even the experts started out as beginners

#8 User is offline   QueenPendragon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:24 PM

Do I risk a antivirus conflict if I do it there way and download McAfee?

#9 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:59 PM

I would contact facebook about it. http://www.facebook....ccount_recovery "How does Facebook know I got a virus? Why do you need to scan my computer?"
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#10 User is offline   QueenPendragon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 19 May 2011 - 02:59 PM, said:

I would contact facebook about it. http://www.facebook....ccount_recovery "How does Facebook know I got a virus? Why do you need to scan my computer?"

I think they got suspicious, or their PCs did, 'cause I had both my accounts (one is a gaming account) open at once, one on IE and one on Firefox. They must have saw the same IP address and thought it was like something a zombie computer would do or something. Even so, my other account still works. I will keep emailing them, I mailed them again today.

This post has been edited by QueenPendragon: 19 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

#11 User is offline   QueenPendragon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

PS (it won't let me edit now) Can I be relatively sure I'm not infected, since Avast, Malwarebytes and Defender are all decent programs? I threw in CCleaner too.

#12 User is offline   QueenPendragon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:55 AM

View PostQueenPendragon, on 19 May 2011 - 04:45 PM, said:

PS (it won't let me edit now) Can I be relatively sure I'm not infected, since Avast, Malwarebytes and Defender are all decent programs? I threw in CCleaner too.

OK, I used my old laptop to get my account restored...it doesn't actually try to download the full McAfee security suite, although I still know enough to run a full scan if the time comes I ever have to use the thing again (it needs serious updating anyway, since I haven't used it since March). I'm more sure now that the roadblock is legit, but they seriously do need to rethink their approach.

My last question still stands...can I be reasonably confident my current machine is okay or are there any final steps to take?

#13 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

View PostQueenPendragon, on 20 May 2011 - 06:55 AM, said:

View PostQueenPendragon, on 19 May 2011 - 04:45 PM, said:

OK, I used my old laptop to get my account restored...it doesn't actually try to download the full McAfee security suite, although I still know enough to run a full scan if the time comes I ever have to use the thing again (it needs serious updating anyway, since I haven't used it since March). I'm more sure now that the roadblock is legit, but they seriously do need to rethink their approach.

My last question still stands...can I be reasonably confident my current machine is okay or are there any final steps to take?

Hi, Queen. What's happening with this at this point? Can you access Facebook on the "infected" PC?

Lincoln

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users