Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Avi To Mp4 Converter?

#1 User is offline   Eleain 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:15 AM

I am not familiar with file converters or file sizes for that matter, but I noticed when downloading a television show from two different sources on my Macbook Pro, one file size was a lot smaller, the mp4, while the other was a lot larger, the avi. It was the same show and there wasn't much difference in picture quality, so I don't know why one download was 60mb while the download from the other source was 341 MB! I just wanted to find a free video converter that has a high success rate of converting existing avi files to mp4.

#2 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:25 AM

Try this : http://www.formatoz.com/ , it's free and easy to use. For Windows Only

For Macs : http://www.any-video...erter_freeware/ Also free.

FLASHORN.

This post has been edited by Flashorn: 26 May 2011 - 02:29 AM

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#3 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

AVI is just a container, so that really doesn't explain much on its own. That said, there are various different codecs (the term used for how it is compressed/decompressed) that have very different qualities - some are very noisy, and result in small file sizes, others result in slightly larger sizes, but have excellent quality, and there are more advanced ones that manage both high quality, and small file sizes. MP4 is a different container, with only a select few codecs, all much newer than what is available for AVI.

So - now that the short and dirty lesson is over - I recommend handbrake to compress from AVI to MP4. There are many options, but also has key presets so you don't have to mess with them. It can compress to either extremely good quality in small sizes, or extremely quickly - and everything in between. It can take a little to get used to, but is easily the best mp4 / X264 compression program I have come across.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#4 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:17 AM

I use Handbrake to convert non-copyprotected files from DVD format to MP4. (It will not work on copy protected files). However, I run it on Windows. Converting a 1 hour show on a PC with an Intel E6750 takes about 40 minutes. That same program converting the same files on a PC with an i5-2600K takes less than 12 minutes. The CPU power makes a big difference.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:39 PM

View Postrgreen4, on 11 July 2011 - 07:17 AM, said:

I use Handbrake to convert non-copyprotected files from DVD format to MP4. (It will not work on copy protected files). However, I run it on Windows. Converting a 1 hour show on a PC with an Intel E6750 takes about 40 minutes. That same program converting the same files on a PC with an i5-2600K takes less than 12 minutes. The CPU power makes a big difference.

Don't some say it's great for DVD ripping? I've tried it and it just sits there scanning the DVD chapters at a certain point and never finishes, with the dvd drive being accessed frequently but not spinning super fast. How would my i5 750 compare to the newer i5 2500k? Oh btw do you mean the i5 2500K? The 2600K is an i7. idk I've looked around but haven't found anything all that great aside from some ones I've never heard of, but are free with giveaways, and on WOT are known to be forum spammers. Then Magic DVD ripper seems to be fine, I tried a trial, but it's not multithreaded. It hogs core 1 but ignores 2, 3, and 4.

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 11 July 2011 - 08:40 PM

Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#6 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:10 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 11 July 2011 - 08:39 PM, said:

View Postrgreen4, on 11 July 2011 - 07:17 AM, said:

Don't some say it's great for DVD ripping? I've tried it and it just sits there scanning the DVD chapters at a certain point and never finishes, with the dvd drive being accessed frequently but not spinning super fast. How would my i5 750 compare to the newer i5 2500k? Oh btw do you mean the i5 2500K? The 2600K is an i7. idk I've looked around but haven't found anything all that great aside from some ones I've never heard of, but are free with giveaways, and on WOT are known to be forum spammers. Then Magic DVD ripper seems to be fine, I tried a trial, but it's not multithreaded. It hogs core 1 but ignores 2, 3, and 4.

It used to be able to rip DVDs on its own. But they removed the DVD encoding coding some time ago. I believe the Mac version can still rip DVDs if you also have VLC installed as it can use VLC's DVD encoding coding.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#7 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:08 AM

Brian - OOPS - yes it is an i5-2500K. The speed is 3.3GHz vs the i5-750's 2.67. The power rating on Passmark is 4,265 for the i5-750 and 7,221 for the i5-2500K. It was a big step up from this machine (my new one has not yet taken over from my tried and true E6750) which is also at 2.66Ghz, but only rated at 1,687. My machine which was in the upper third when I built in in 2007 is not even on the top chart any more.

I have not used Handbrake to rip a DVD for a long while. It will not work on a DVD that has copy protection. That may have been what was giving the problem. The latest version has a progress bar at the bottom left of the window and also gives the processing speed and the estimated time of completion. If you are running 32bit windows, you can download DVD43 which will work in conjunction with Handbrake. DVD43 will defeat copy protection. But, it only works on 32bit Windows.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

Would the plugin work then? http://www.dvd43.com/
All of my PCs have Windows 7 64-bit.

I'm thinking of trying VLC to rip dvds. What do you think of it?
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 12 July 2011 - 01:10 PM, said:

I'm thinking of trying VLC to rip dvds. What do you think of it?

To my knowledge, VLC does not ripe DVDs. But, Handbrake (the Mac version at least) can use the VLC DVD encryption decoder (VLC comes with the necessary encryption decoder stuff to allow it to play back DVDs) to allow Handbrake to rip DVDs.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#10 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:47 PM

I think VLC CAN - Media>Convert/Save. I haven't used it though.
Spoiler

#11 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 12 July 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

I think VLC CAN - Media>Convert/Save. I haven't used it though.

It might, but keep in mind that there is a difference between "converting" and "ripping". "Ripping" (at least in the case of commercial DVDs) is removing/bypassing the copy protection/encryption in addition to typically converting the format.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#12 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:39 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 12 July 2011 - 01:10 PM, said:

According to the DVD43 website, no. The only compatible DVD copy program that they list as compatible is 1 Click DVD Copy.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Maksimsmrvica 

• Pip

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:16 AM

View PostFlashorn, on 26 May 2011 - 02:25 AM, said:

Try this : http://www.formatoz.com/ , it's free and easy to use. For Windows Only

For Macs : http://www.any-video...erter_freeware/ Also free.

FLASHORN.
I am a windows user, how can i convert avi to mp4? I want a freeware, a better one.

#14 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:56 PM

Any Video Converter is a pretty good program I've used. (note: for some odd reason the amount of cores to use was set to 0 by default, which means 'disable multithreading', and I had to manually change that to 4 so it would use my entire cpu)
Spoiler

#15 User is offline   Sogany 

• Pip

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

View PostEleain, on 26 May 2011 - 12:15 AM, said:

I am not familiar with file converters or file sizes for that matter, but I noticed when downloading a television show from two different sources on my Macbook Pro, one file size was a lot smaller, the mp4, while the other was a lot larger, the avi. It was the same show and there wasn't much difference in picture quality, so I don't know why one download was 60mb while the download from the other source was 341 MB! I just wanted to find a free video converter that has a high success rate of converting existing avi files to mp4.

I know the format factory is a free software for converting videos.

#16 User is offline   Kathi201 

• PipPip

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:06 AM

Is this necessary AVI to MP4 converter install drivers or components on my computer? :(

#17 User is offline   Gillest 

• Pip

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

Looking for the way to convert MKV to iPod MP4, you must already have this kind of video files. As the movie downloaded from iTunes are protected and appears in WMV format.

#18 User is offline   bhavin1205 

• Pip

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

you can search gotomkv.com there are lots of video tools can do it ,you can give a try .

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users