PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Norton Internet Securty Or Microsoft Security Essentials - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Norton Internet Securty Or Microsoft Security Essentials

#1 User is offline   OldCrow 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

Hi My Norton Internet Securty is running out in 10 days. I am wondering if I replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials will I lose anything. I have always been told that you get what you pay for so I am a little conserend about replacing Norton with the free Microsoft. We have 3 computers in the house (2 use windows 7 and 1 has vista) so I would love to have them protected for free. Thanks for your help.

#2 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:08 PM

Hi "Old" :

I recommend avoiding BOTH Norton and Microsoft Security
Essentials . I have been using the FREE Avast Antivirus
Home Edition since 2005 and have been very pleased with
it obviously . The main advantage of it is the excellent
Online Support Forums which offer FREE Help from very
knowledgeable Volunteers ( sometimes, when needed, by
one of the company's employees ) If a Question arises
whereas Microsoft Security Essentials has very poor Online
Support Forums . Another excellent FREE "antivirus"
program is Avira, but I feel their Online Support Forums
are not as good as Avast .
IF you are interested in researching the topic for yourself
check out the various Tests ( the Whole Product Dymanic one
is supposed to be the best ) done by the INDEPENDENT
RESEARCHERS at http://www.av-comparatives.org .

To "supplement" any "antivirus", use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
and possibly "SUPERAntiSpyware", BOTH of which come in a
FREE Version . I have been using both for quite a long time .

BEFORE installing a "new" antivirus, you should use the FREE
"Norton Removal Tool", one of which is located at
http://www.majorgeek...mNRT_d4749.html
For the very Best in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

#3 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:09 PM

Hey OldCrow!

As was mentioned by Spirit, I woud also ask that you use the Norton Removal Tool. It will ensure that the next A / V installs properly.

Whether you choose Avast or Avira on your Vista PC, I would stongly suggest you also install a Antispyware application as both are

primarily Antivirus apps. Both do have "some" antispyware capabilities but, also require the use of Real Time antispyware programs.

Don't forget to turn On the Fiewall in Vista or Windows 7 after you install a new antivirus program.

On the other hand, I would suggest you use Microsoft Security Essntials for securing your Window 7 PCs. I (and others on this board)

have been using MSE since it's beta and have been Very satisfied with the results. Unlike the other two antivirus programs, you won't

need to install, in Real Time , a antispyware program as MSE has both. It would be wise to install a manual scanner such as the ones

recommended by SpiritWind for a second opnion because no security program can promise a 100% reliability.

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#4 User is offline   Cavallipink 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:09 AM

I do not recommend paying for Norton Virus, I paid a lot of money for that program, even though the marketing and packaging is so eye-catching it makes you believe they are the "experts in virus security" my laptop was still compromised when I still had this program used on my laptop, it never picked up on keylogger or spy buddy or any spyware in particular! it would just say 'clear' and all that time my laptop was bugged. I use ESet smart security, it messages you when you have something suspicious on your laptop that wants to gain access to your desktop.

View PostFlashorn, on 12 June 2011 - 08:09 PM, said:

Hey OldCrow!

As was mentioned by Spirit, I woud also ask that you use the Norton Removal Tool. It will ensure that the next A / V installs properly.

Whether you choose Avast or Avira on your Vista PC, I would stongly suggest you also install a Antispyware application as both are

primarily Antivirus apps. Both do have "some" antispyware capabilities but, also require the use of Real Time antispyware programs.

Don't forget to turn On the Fiewall in Vista or Windows 7 after you install a new antivirus program.

On the other hand, I would suggest you use Microsoft Security Essntials for securing your Window 7 PCs. I (and others on this board)

have been using MSE since it's beta and have been Very satisfied with the results. Unlike the other two antivirus programs, you won't

need to install, in Real Time , a antispyware program as MSE has both. It would be wise to install a manual scanner such as the ones

recommended by SpiritWind for a second opnion because no security program can promise a 100% reliability.

FLASHORN.

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

Norton is a bloated piece of crap. Make sure you use the norton removal tool that others mentioned.

I recommend MSE, that's what I use, but Avast is also good too. I don't particularly recommend AVG though.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#6 User is offline   OldCrow 

• PipPip

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for the help. I think I will go with MSE. Is useing the removal tool a better choice then uninstalling it from my computer?
Again thanks for taking the time to help.

#7 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:30 PM

View PostOldCrow, on 13 June 2011 - 05:18 PM, said:

Thanks for the help. I think I will go with MSE. Is useing the removal tool a better choice then uninstalling it from my computer?
Again thanks for taking the time to help.

Your welcome!

OK, You have to uninstall by way of Programs & Features FIRST then, you use the uninstall tool from Norton.
You can download it from here : Tool. This tool will uninstall All of Norton's installations (previous versions also).

As I mentioned in my previous post, I would choose one of the other antivirus programs for your VISTA PC.
Don't forget to add a antispyware program (in Real Time) for the Vista install and Enable the Firewall as well.

Windows 7 would benefit from MSE as it was made for that (but, not in particular) OS. The Firewall will have to be
Enabled in this version also.

I would also recommend you download , install and use this Manual scanner once a week to have a second opinion
as no one antivirus program is infallible :

MalwaeBytes' Anti-Malware :

http://majorgeeks.co...ad.php?det=5756

Along with common sense and safe browsing practices , you should be well protected.

I usually recommend members click on my signature (the WOT link) to also install this add-on which is compatible
with Internet Explorer 7, 8 , 9 , Firefox 3 and 4 and Chrome from Google.

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:52 PM

WOT has saved me from going to plenty of bad sites (and scams). I agree with flashorn. Download it.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   OldCrow 

• PipPip

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:32 AM

Thank you very much Flashorn.

I did stray a bit from your advice and installed MSE on my Vista.(it is now used mostly as a guinea pig)
All went well !! It may be just me, but the computer seems to be running faster now.

I also insalled WOT and it is great. I had never heard of it before, but i bet soon I will wonder how I ever lived without it.

Ok 1 down and 2 to go.

Thanks agaim

#10 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:40 AM

View PostOldCrow, on 14 June 2011 - 10:32 AM, said:

Thank you very much Flashorn.

I did stray a bit from your advice and installed MSE on my Vista.(it is now used mostly as a guinea pig)
All went well !! It may be just me, but the computer seems to be running faster now.

I also insalled WOT and it is great. I had never heard of it before, but i bet soon I will wonder how I ever lived without it.

Ok 1 down and 2 to go.

Thanks agaim

It may actually be faster - MSE is quite lightweight.

Yeah, I agree with you about WOT, I feel the same way. I've recommended that to many people.

What do you mean "Ok 1 down and 2 to go"?
Spoiler

#11 User is offline   OldCrow 

• PipPip

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

LiveBrianD
I have 2 more computers to switch from Nortin to MSE.
Thanks for your input above about WOT. I may have not looked
into it if you did not say how much you liked it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users