Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Norton Or Zonealarm For Firewall Firewalls

#1 User is offline   anonPC 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

Which would you recommend more: Norton or ZoneAlarm as a firewall on my computer?

Those are the two I am considering, so please don't respond if you are simply going to recommend something else. Thanks in advance!

#2 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:54 PM

View PostanonPC, on 13 June 2011 - 02:08 PM, said:

Which would you recommend more: Norton or ZoneAlarm as a firewall on my computer?

Those are the two I am considering, so please don't respond if you are simply going to recommend something else. Thanks in advance!

As a user of Norton, you should be aware that Norton Suite does not and will not work well with other security programs in Real Time.

IF you are using Norton Suite then, Norton already has a Firewall incorporated and as such will most likely not tolerate or work alongside
any other Firewall.

For this reason , I strongly suggest you do not install ZoneAlarm of any flavor. To my knowledge, Norton doesn't have a standalone Firewall.

You should however, have one or two manual scanners for a second opinion.

I would suggest you download , install and use once a week , one of these two manual scanners :

MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware

http://majorgeeks.co...ad.php?det=5756

OR / AND

SUPERAntiSpyware

http://majorgeeks.co...ware_d5116.html

Both are free for personal use and very effective.

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#3 User is offline   anonPC 

• PipPip

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

View PostFlashorn, on 13 June 2011 - 03:54 PM, said:

IF you are using Norton Suite then, Norton already has a Firewall incorporated and as such will most likely not tolerate or work alongside any other Firewall.

I'm not looking to run two at once. I'm trying to find out if one of them is better than the other.

#4 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:17 PM

I have no personal experience or can recommend either one of those programs...

However, Comodo's firewall has been rated really good as of late, I personally use it and it does an outstanding job of protecting my computer anywhere I go.
I hope you are willing to consider and review comodo- http://personalfirew...e-download.html
Even the experts started out as beginners

#5 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:15 PM

View PostanonPC, on 14 June 2011 - 12:14 PM, said:

View PostFlashorn, on 13 June 2011 - 03:54 PM, said:

IF you are using Norton Suite then, Norton already has a Firewall incorporated and as such will most likely not tolerate or work alongside any other Firewall.

I'm not looking to run two at once. I'm trying to find out if one of them is better than the other.

I, maybe didn't make myself clear enough.

I was asking IF you already had Norton Suite installed.

In the case of a positive answer then, you "will" have to choose between the two.

My answer was that you will have to Uninstall Norton Suite IF you choose to go with

ZoneAlarm.

As for the best of the two, IF Norton Suite is installed on your PC then, stay with that one
if you like the way you are protected by it's antivirus - antimalware components.

I would not recommend ZoneAlarm as it has not been on a decline for some years now.

The ones to compare would be Comodo , as mentioned by crazy4laptops or Outpost.

My favorite and the one I recommend the most often is PC Tools Firewall Plus:

BUT, don't take my word for it, just look over this site :

http://www.matousec.com/

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#6 User is offline   anonPC 

• PipPip

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

View PostFlashorn, on 14 June 2011 - 04:15 PM, said:

I, maybe didn't make myself clear enough.

In the case of a positive answer then, you "will" have to choose between the two.

My answer was that you will have to Uninstall Norton Suite IF you choose to go with ZoneAlarm.

That was the whole reason why I am asking - I'm trying to choose between the two.
I'm only going to have one installed and one running.

#7 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hi Anon :

You seem to be unaware that we need to know some basic
info about your computer, such as the Name of your
Operating System, which you have not told us, and the
SPECIFIC Name(s), including version Number(s), of ALL
the security program(s)( which you have NOT told us )
on your computer to properly help you . The Others have
talked around it, but I will ask you DIRECTLY .
For the very Best in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

#8 User is offline   anonPC 

• PipPip

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:06 PM

View PostSpiritWind, on 14 June 2011 - 10:33 PM, said:

Hi Anon :

You seem to be unaware that we need to know some basic
info about your computer, such as the Name of your
Operating System, which you have not told us, and the
SPECIFIC Name(s), including version Number(s), of ALL
the security program(s)( which you have NOT told us )
on your computer to properly help you . The Others have
talked around it, but I will ask you DIRECTLY .

This forums is too technical for it's own good. I'm just looking for a simple comparison between the firewall by Norton and ZoneAlarm for my Windows 7 computer.

While he wasn't able to help me, the only one who actually tried to answer my question so far was crazy4laptops. Everyone else has either given me off-topic/irrelevant information or asked for irrelevant details.

This post has been edited by anonPC: 16 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

#9 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:45 PM

Well, being that those are your only two choices and you won't consider anything else, Zonealarm would provide you with the best oportunity to learn something along the way and guide you into your next choice. The best choice would be with whatever your ISP is providing for you an the way of a suite of programs to do everything. Pop-up blocker, real time scanning, web site advisor, firewall and virus protection are usually provided within a free suite provided by your ISP. This is usually free and supported by the ISP and will give you the best protection across the board. Zonealarm will guide you through all the programs that require access to the internet for even the simplest functions and will rpompt you everytime it needs access until you grant full rights. As I said, it is a learning process and may open your eyes as to what on your programs are doing and why.

#10 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:07 AM

View PostanonPC, on 13 June 2011 - 02:08 PM, said:

Hi. I guess the short answer is if you have Norton already installed on your computer, just use that with it's firewall. No reason to look elsewhere.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users