• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

Post your comments for 5 Ways Facebook Can Fight Back Against Google+ here

#2 User is offline   DavidJenkinsdvcw 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

"Compete with circles" ... you can already do ALL that stuff.

It does this: "Obviously, Facebook would want to prompt users to put their friends in a list each time they add a friend"

And it does this: "If Facebook were to allow wall posts, photo/video sharing, event invitations, and all other instances of social sharing to be sent to specific lists"

Geesh.

#3 User is offline   cknight91 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

Yeah FB lists has the exactly same functionality as Google circles, including sharing specific content with specific lists (posts, photos etc). Google's Circles are only more intuitive.

Other than that, good article.

#4 User is offline   DavidGkrqz 

• Pip

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

To google, retaliate by removing the facebook sharing button under all the youtube videos, if you want revenge. :)

#5 User is offline   kronoscornelius 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

All Google is trying to do is to force Facebook into open standard, same as it did with the low frequency spectrum it lost to Verizon, and the same thing it successfully did with Android. Facebook walled garden will have to be opened or face the consequences.

#6 User is offline   TrevorC 

• Pip

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:24 PM

s Facebook that scared of competition? Seems like everyone is racing around in circles like chooks with their head cut off. Google+ has barely started, has anyone ever thought of a wait and see what happens approach? If Facebook turns out to be better value, then people will stay with it. If Not Facebook will go the way of My Space. That is a cold hard fact of life.

#7 User is offline   NathanB 

• PipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:24 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure that there are sufficient reasons to move to Google+, which I think is severely over-hyped.

First, even in the easiest, best-case scenario, it's still inconvenient for me to move all my friends over to Google+ from Facebook. Why should I move to Google+ if Facebook has been doing a reasonable job?

Second, Facebook to Google+ is not Myspace to an earlier Facebook. Myspace was associated with juveniles and predatory criminals--and completely unreadable pages! Facebook is very easy to read, and the whole world is on it.

Third, I'm not sure that it's wise to put all one's eggs in just one G-basket ™. Google already knows everything I type into my Chrome browser. It doesn't need to know my friends, too.

Finally, Google Buzz betrayed Gmail users by invading their privacy. People who had been deleted as contacts for very good reasons suddenly made reappearances with Buzz, which no one signed up for.

All in all, I just don't see Facebook being supplanted by Google+. That said, most of the suggestions the author has for Facebook should be heeded.

#8 User is offline   EricKleistmtc8 

• Pip

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:19 PM

Just regarding the Make New Friends portion....

I do agree in the short term it could help Facebook maintain share in the social market - one of them in the end will still beat the other and it will be the one people find most user friendly and beneficial to their needs.

For me - comparing the changes I have seen with Facebook over the years to the starting platform of Google+ - there is no question that Google+ will slowly take over the majority share in the social marketplace.

Google definitely have had some major failures specifically Buzz, but you can just tell this is different. Google has a goal of taking over the social traffic market and it is just a matter of time until they attain that goal.

Just regarding the Make New Friends portion....

I do agree in the short term it could help Facebook maintain share in the social market - one of them in the end will still beat the other and it will be the one people find most user friendly and beneficial to their needs.

For me - comparing the changes I have seen with Facebook over the years to the starting platform of Google+ - there is no question that Google+ will slowly take over the majority share in the social marketplace.

Google definitely have had some major failures specifically Buzz, but you can just tell this is different. Google has a goal of taking over the social traffic market and it is just a matter of time until they attain that goal.

#9 User is offline   bobyk3 

• PipPip

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:15 AM

The problem with facebook is Zuckerberg himself. His background is muddy. He paid for negative stories on Google. His created facebook copying ConnectU project ideas at the same time getting paid to create ConnectU. The kid cannot be trusted. There is no code of ethics in Facebook.

Zukerberg sells my data to Ballmer for billions. Zuckerberg gets to decide where my profile should be displayed?

Zuck is all about destroying openness of internet and making billions without earning it.

#10 User is offline   JimWilliamsigdj 

• Pip

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:37 AM

Since I've been planning on deleting the Facebook profile I never really use the only real question is whether Google+ is actually useful. We shall see.

#11 User is offline   judles0113 

• Pip

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:22 AM

I like some of the Facebook Apps., but what I find annoying is that they are all browser limited. I can't use them with IE9(64 bit) or with AOL 9.6.

#12 User is offline   jw12321 

• PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

View Postjudles0113, on 14 July 2011 - 07:22 AM, said:

I like some of the Facebook Apps., but what I find annoying is that they are all browser limited. I can't use them with IE9(64 bit) or with AOL 9.6.

As for IE 9 issues, blame the browser plugin makers (specifically Adobe) for not making them 64-bit compatible.
But, seriously, why are you using AOL 9? Use a modern browser..

#13 User is offline   TheTess 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

Now, how about an article on how Google+ can make Zuckerberg cry in his cornflakes? ;)

PS... the apps are cute for kids, annoying as heck to adults.

#14 User is offline   markshancock 

• Pip

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

View PostDavidJenkinsdvcw, on 13 July 2011 - 05:39 PM, said:

"Compete with circles" ... you can already do ALL that stuff.

It does this: "Obviously, Facebook would want to prompt users to put their friends in a list each time they add a friend"

And it does this: "If Facebook were to allow wall posts, photo/video sharing, event invitations, and all other instances of social sharing to be sent to specific lists"

Geesh.

FB does have lists but they are half-baked ... then they created Groups ... half baked again ... ARG!!!!
At least lists were nice to keep my chats organised so I knew who was on from a specific circle
oh... I forgot, FB removed that in their last downgrade er.. I mean update.
Boy I sure like their new features that "help" me by removing anything I find helpful

Oh, and regarding Apps, FB takes no resposibility for them except where they cut into their revenue stream.
I rarely trust any of them anymore as I have had them hack my private info and post things to my wall.
I feel like very time I am on FB it I have to walk carefully throught the FB minefield.
I won't go into Farmville (which my wife got me to play) which seemed to be more frustrating then fun.
I am a professional SW Engineer and the FV code seemed to be very buggy and there seemed to ba a lot more effort releasing new feature than fixing bugs.

Now, regarding Google, I haven't gotten to use Google+; but, I have used:
Google Search - Love it
Google Maps - Love it
Google Earth - Love it
Google Alerts - Love it
iGoogle - Love it
Google Toolbar - Love it
Google Chrome - Love it
G-Mail - Love it
Google Calendar - Love it
Google Docs - Love it
See a pattern?
Google seems to have the idea that if you create a great product that the developers themselves love to use then it will sell itself.
What a business model?

FB had a great idea; but, they seem to think that getting bigger is the way to get better. It is NOT!
I personnaly hope Google+ serves FB a nice dish of "pespective" and maybe they will wake up and rethink their approach.

#15 User is offline   Johnsouza27 

• Pip

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:35 PM

Hey everybody! How about somebody swings a spare invite my way?? Thank you!!

#16 User is offline   michelleNcarlosPenar4i1 

• Pip

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:31 PM

I think Facebook needs to add an easier way to separate who you have on your account. Like when you add someone or you go to a profile maybe have them added for latter.
I tell you Circles to me is easy its everywhere on your page. Its allot easier than FB lists.

#17 User is offline   edmicman 

• Pip

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:10 AM

Some of the comments brought up an interesting point. I've just started playing around with Google+ and it seems to have matched or bested the Facebook counterparts as far as sharing or reading posts.

But what about things like events, calendars, etc.? Right now on FB I have a notification calendar with any upcoming events or friends' birthdays. It's handy. And I can create an event, invite whomever I want to it, and manage from there. I guess on G+ you could create a circle for "Bob's Birthday Party" and include whomever you want. But as far as I can tell there's no RSVP system, no real way to define "event details" or whatnot. I assume something like this would be trivial to add to Google, but that's just one small thing I've used on FB where there's no alternative yet.

I'd also like to see Huddles in a desktop app. Google Talk's group chat feature is half-baked and cumbersome, and I don't like browser-based chat clients anyway. It would be nice to be able to have chats with Circles in a dedicated standalone app, too.

#18 User is offline   YaelLiRonxbh2 

• Pip

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:08 PM

Circles are what Facebook is lacking. But I doubt that Google+ can have a larger user base any time soon, which gives fb time to rethink its user interface. Icertainly won't make the move to G-plus unless most of the people I want to stay in touch with leave fb.

#19 User is offline   CarrieMillertwdg 

• Pip

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

I think in order for FB to stay on top they really need to take heed to what everyone (facebookers) are saying, and thats to fix the all the problems they have FIRST before they try to add anything new. Change the chat back to the way it was before and STABALIZE it to where its not constantly telling your friend that you are in a deep conversation with that you have gone offline when in fact you havent....this has been going on since FB came out and they still refuse to fix it! Now with the apps thing I will give them credit for that, if you dont like the apps just go to your settings and block all apps alltogether, or just block all the ones you dont like and you no longer see them posts on your wall or in your notifications. FB has alot of work but if they play it smart I think they will stay on top but unfortuntaly from past behavior I dont think they will. I am on google+ and although I love FB, an addict actually...I have fallen inlove with google+

This post has been edited by CarrieMillertwdg: 20 July 2011 - 07:54 PM

#20 User is offline   ReedBieber 

• Pip

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:41 PM

Facebook IS Gonna LOSE If It Does NOT Stop It's Practice Of "Disabling" Thier "Customers" Accnt's W/O Any Warning & No Reasons Givin!!! They Have Done It 2 Me Twice Now!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users