All right, here we go! I love updates. Especially when they happen to include pictures.
I mentioned I was going to be a cheapskate about this, and I think I did a mighty fine job of doing so!
I found a Total Pond fountain pump at the local Home Depot for $29.99 good for 300gal/hr with a max head of 7.2 ft. I realize this isn't a lot, and won't linger on that for long. It does appear to be sufficient though.
I then remembered the Hydro 50 water cooling thingy that was floating around, and yanked the radiator off of it for now. I still don't like it, and will be getting a Derale series 7000 later. That rad is 12x17" uses copper tubing (10 passes), and should do wonderfully with 4 160mm fans on it. Again, for now, this seems to be working well. Remembering that all I am cooling is a single CPU. I want to add the video cards in to the loop later, though that will call for a new pump I think.
Now then, a reservoir is a tricky thing to find. Much less one big enough to swallow an entire pump. I found the most interesting solution to this problem, and don't ever call me unresourceful!
Nice thing about infants around the house, are the canisters of food. It just so happens that the Good Start formula canister fits just PERFECTLY in a 5.25" drive bay! It does sit kind of tall though, consuming 4 bays. The nice part about using this canister is that I also get to have easy access to fill the water!
I also picked up some 3/8" water tubing, and silicone sealant.
Now then. Let me warn you - doing things this way result in 2 things.
1. A whole lot of swearing.
2. A very satisfied feeling at the end.
As I assembled this, I found myself cursing the strangest things. For example, the pump I bought said something about a 1/2" connection, so naturally, I bought a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer, only to find that the threaded connection was 3/4". Bite me misleading packaging!.
Secondly, getting that stupid rubber hose over brass connections is a bear, as is getting the darned thing through a hole into the canister.
I got very lucky though, and everything was set in about 5 hours. I have tested for 2 hours and am 100% leak free!
Right now, obviously I am posting this, but will let you know how the temps work out.
Now pics! And sorry about the focus, the cell phone was having a very hard time focusing inside the case.
This post has been edited by waldojim: 18 July 2011 - 08:35 PM
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
-- Isaac Asimov
Lenovo W520 CTO Intel i7-2620m, 8GB Patriot ram @ 1333Mhz, Nvidia Quadro 1000m with 2GB GDRR3, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P wide color display, Windows 8 Pro
Media Center: Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.1Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Corsair GS600PSU, EVGA Geforce 550ti, EVGA P55 SLI, 3x 1TB raid 5, 1x 1TB boot drive, Windows 8 Pro, Win TV 950(USB), Pioneer BR.
Server: AMD Phenom X4 945 @ 3.0Ghz, MSI 790FX-GD70, 16gb ddr3 RAM @ 1333mhz, 2TB Seagate HDD, 64GB Patriot SSD, Asus Silent Gefore 210
The Green machine: AMD Sempron 145EE Unlocked and OC'd to 4.1Ghz, Gigabyte GD970A-DS3, 8GB ram @ 1600mhz, Nvidia 550Ti, Thermaltake BlueOrb, Antec EW385
Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Paranoid Android 4.2 Rom http://www.speedtest...d/315465831.png