Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pros And Cons Of Lcd Led And Plasma Tvs

#1 User is offline   wkw427 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:37 AM

Hi. I'm looking into finally replacing my 30-something year old piece of furniture that has a screen on it for something.. better, so a TV is what I need

What would be the best TV for my situation?

-Max size of 46 inches (I don't think anything larger will fit where I plan to put it
-Is glare-resistant. Won't show reflections on the screen
-Picture quality won't degrade from viewing at wide angles. The two places to sit in my house are at about a 35 degree angle from the TV, so something that looses quality at an angle is something we must not get
-Has to last a long time, be resistant to damage. I don't want any lines or dead pixels a year or two after I get it

Also, I am unsure if modern TVs some with speakers. Do I have to buy a set of external speakers with the set?

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:57 AM

View Postwkw427, on 22 July 2011 - 08:37 AM, said:

Hi. I'm looking into finally replacing my 30-something year old piece of furniture that has a screen on it for something.. better, so a TV is what I need

-Max size of 46 inches (I don't think anything larger will fit where I plan to put it
-Picture quality won't degrade from viewing at wide angles. The two places to sit in my house are at about a 35 degree angle from the TV, so something that looses quality at an angle is something we must not get
-Has to last a long time, be resistant to damage. I don't want any lines or dead pixels a year or two after I get it

Also, I am unsure if modern TVs some with speakers. Do I have to buy a set of external speakers with the set?

Hi. First, the size would be determined by the size of the room you plan to put it in. For a 42", the ideal viewing distance is 7' to 10' , 46' a little further. As for Viewing angles, my 42" LG is good and my 42" Toshiba not so good ( neither is the 26" Samsung I have ). That having been said, the LG is a semi matte and there is a small amount of glare, but not really noticable when it is on. I guess the best way to check this stuff is with store displays.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   wkw427 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

Well,the reason I say that 46" is the largest I can have is because I don't think the space in my room is big enough to anything larger.

If a screen is 46 inches, how long and high would it have to be?

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:47 PM

View Postwkw427, on 22 July 2011 - 11:00 AM, said:

Well,the reason I say that 46" is the largest I can have is because I don't think the space in my room is big enough to anything larger.

If a screen is 46 inches, how long and high would it have to be?

Hi. The approximate dimesions of a 46" HDTV w/Stand would be 42.5" x 27.25" . The TV itself is aproximately 42.5" Wide and 26" high ( Remember the 46" is measured diagonally ).
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#5 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

Won't show reflections on the screen

Plasmas are prone to glare issues.
I do have a plasma 46" Panasonic.

In the morning I sit on the right side of the couch to avoid morning sun window glare.
Most glares are only visible when the screen is showing dark images.

On mine, I find the glares need to strong like morning sun otherwise my PC monitor reflection needs to be looked for to see it.

My max viewing distance is 11' and a min of 7' and I find 46" perfect for me at those distances.
My model is 44 1/4 wide and counting the stand, 30 1/4 tall.

Not sure what angle difference is between the left side and right side of the couch but it doesn't degrade the picture.
Infact the love-seat is more of an angle is fine.

I got a good deal on my plasma and I'm more than satisfied with it.
If I got a quality LCD I am positive and would be at least equally satisfied.

Speakers sound more than adequate but I suspect that you'll get a home theater system if you don't have one already.
The jump in picture quality on either TV will make that happen.
So I would get at least 3 HDMI inputs.

These TVs also offer a built in SD card reader and or USB port so you'll need to decide if anyone one of those is more important to you.

This post has been edited by Rommel: 22 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

#6 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:46 PM

This might help answer some of your questions:

http://www.crutchfie..._flatpanel.html

Beyond that, most HDTVs come with speakers. But, depending on the TV, those speakers might be pretty good to pretty crappy. On both my TVs (both Samsung LCDs), the speakers are pretty good, so most of the time I use the built in speakers. I do have a stereo also hooked up and can use that if I want higher quality sound...that is typically only if I am watching a movie but I actually tend to watch my movies on my projector, which means I am using the home theater anyways. For my "regular" TV watching (i.e. watching TV shows), I tend to just use the TV speakers. So, you likely will be able to just use the TV speakers, but in the end that will be a decision you will need to make...if the TV speakers work fine for your use, then there is no need to get a home stereo/theater system, but if not, you can always get a home stereo/theater system.

As noted in the link above, plasma TVs tend to have better viewing angles than "traditional" LCDs and LED LCDs, but you can get LCD TV that have decent viewing angles. As suggested by coastie65, you can test this in the store with a display model...and you should be able to test the sound quality of the built in speakers while you are there as well.

Any flat screen TV is going to have issues with glare. How much of an issue it is will depend on whether it has a "matte" screen or not. But, even a matte screen can have glare issues. The best way to mitigate glare is positioning of the TV. If you position the TV well relative to the windows in the room, then glare can be minimized. This is generally true of any room, but there are some rooms where it will be impossible to position the TV without some glare on it as some time of the day due to the configuration of the room. So, the next best way to deal with glare is to have good dark windows coverings. As keep in mind that flat screen TVs tend to come on a stand that allows them to swivel some, so you can potentially also swivel the TV a little bit to reduce glare potentially (this is what I do with my main TV...I have two fairly big windows that in the morning tend to place a ton of glare on the TV...but I have it rotated a bit and that helps cut down on the glare some...BTW, it is a matte screen "traditional" LCD TV). FWIW, LCD TVs (whether traditional or LED) tend to deal with glare better than plasma. Also, glare tends to be an issue with dark images as noted by rommel...which is also how you can kind of test the glare in a showroom...have them turn off the TV (i.e. a completely dark screen) and see how much glare from the showroom lights you get).

As to length of life, that is somewhat of a crap shoot. Any TV can have problems right away. Of course, you can try to get a TV model that has a record of lasting well, but even if you do, there is nothing to stop it from potentially crapping out a year or two after you get it. The point is that the best you can do it try to get a good quality TV model that has a good record and then hope that you are not one of the few that has problems. Personally, I believe that in general TVs are not made as well as they used to be made, but most will still last a decent time (probably not the 30 years the old one did).
Good riddance PCWorld.

#7 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:16 AM

smax had that right on length of life. My first Toshiba was DOA out of the box. Hooked it up and hit the button and nothing. The delivery guys threw it back in the box, took it back, and brought back another one that is doing fine ( bought in April '08 ). I had forgotten about the swivel thing that smax mentioned.

#8 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:26 AM

Considering where and how to mount a flat screen can make a big difference in the set you buy. Reflections are a big problem on most of the newer sets but by proper positioning can be negated. Physical dimensions can be more confusing as a 50 inch analog unit takes up more verical space as the aspect ratio changes and diagonal angle are greater in analog sets. That means a 50 inch flat screen is wider and needs more room. I've solved most of my problems by using a wall mount swivel setup that lets me move the display flat to the wall in one corner and swivel out to cross the corner for viewing. I always take the audio output to a home entertainment center so the onboard speakers are not considered but for many users, the speakers position on the case can make or break any unit. Front facing speakers are ideal but not very common. Many are side mounted and some even in the back. Back mounted speakers can be dealt with using reflection elements to project the sound back out in front of the unit into the center of the room. This can resemble wings, I use plastic covered with doeskin, it cleans up most tinny sounding speakers and could even be fashioned into a box affair to help boost the lower frequencies. Prices are coming down and the newer LED units are bright but more expensive.

#9 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:56 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 23 July 2011 - 07:16 AM, said:

I had forgotten about the swivel thing that smax mentioned.

Most people do...because they setup their TV in the position that they use it and then there is never a need to move it again most times.
Good riddance PCWorld.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users