PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Running Windows On A Mac: Lion Vs. Windows 7 Shootout - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Running Windows On A Mac: Lion Vs. Windows 7 Shootout

#1 User is offline   PCWorld 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:01 AM

Post your comments for Running Windows on a Mac: Lion vs. Windows 7 Shootout here

#2 User is offline   Jeff81 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:55 AM

can one format the drive on a Mac Air laptop and install Windows 7 natively?

#3 User is offline   AndySmithui28 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

They have got to release an uncrippled SSD driver for windows. Win 7 on a windows laptop with an SSD has lightning fast sleep and wake and it's horrible on my 13 inch MBA. I disagree that you don't notice it in real world usage. I get they want OSX to shine more than windows, but I did drop $1300, can I please have a proper driver?

#4 User is offline   IT4all 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

View PostJeff81, on 03 September 2011 - 09:55 AM, said:

can one format the drive on a Mac Air laptop and install Windows 7 natively?

That was my first thought if you don't like OSx anyway just go full on windows. But I dont work on macs so have no idea. I'm guessing its boot camp no matter what you do.

#5 User is offline   Yoni 

• PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:25 PM

Yes, you can wipe out your OS X Hard Drive and install only Windows natively. Boot up your OS X installation disk, format the hard drive with Disk Utility in FAT (MBR) and reboot. Boot up using your Windows 7 DVD to install Windows.

There is a huge advantage in virtualization and the author of this post is obviously not looking at it. We should narrow the scope of this article to something like "Virtualization in OS X". If you want real performance in virtualization software just look at Hyper-V with RemoteFX. You will have a real server plus 2-3 thin clients up and running for a lot less price-wise than 2 iMac 27" and your designers will be a lot happier.

The major impact in your virtualized Windows OS happens with the I/Os. A single drive is proven to be incapable of managing the demands of two operating systems. Even today's SSD drives will take a huge performance hit when you put some load on them.
Fact:
Low-End 27" iMac for our designers 2,668.00
We have 12 designers in our marketing department. That will make it $32,016.00 without buying our Adobe Suite or any other application.
With less than $20,000.00 we gave our designers 2 x 27" screen LCD monitors, their adobe suite and a huge performance increase by dumping the Mac platform and moving them to Windows 7.

#6 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

I think it is comical that the author had to point out repeatedly that Apple includes crap software for Windows users. Sorry to any Apple fanatics, but this issue has been known for a LONG time. iTunes is particularly awful in Windows.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#7 User is offline   iPadRulezthe39netaghx 

• PipPip

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:34 PM

I sure wonder why a company with so much spare cash can't tackle a few problems pertaining to drivers. You'd figure that Apple could sell at least a few more systems to Windows users if it took the time to work a few problems out. Would you think that Apple still doesn't want to encourage the use of Windows on Macs? Does Apple only spend money on projects that gives a worthwhile financial return?

Back to Apple's abundance of reserve cash. If Apple put together a small team of employees just to work out driver problems, how much could it cost? A million a year, two million. When a company is sitting on $76 billion in cash reserve would such an expenditure really be too much of a waste of money to make a Mac running Windows in BootCamp equal in speed or power savings to a run-of-the-mill Windows computer.

#8 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:27 PM

View PostiPadRulezthe39netaghx, on 05 September 2011 - 05:34 PM, said:

I sure wonder why a company with so much spare cash can't tackle a few problems pertaining to drivers. You'd figure that Apple could sell at least a few more systems to Windows users if it took the time to work a few problems out. Would you think that Apple still doesn't want to encourage the use of Windows on Macs? Does Apple only spend money on projects that gives a worthwhile financial return?

Back to Apple's abundance of reserve cash. If Apple put together a small team of employees just to work out driver problems, how much could it cost? A million a year, two million. When a company is sitting on $76 billion in cash reserve would such an expenditure really be too much of a waste of money to make a Mac running Windows in BootCamp equal in speed or power savings to a run-of-the-mill Windows computer.

Truth is, they don't want people running Windows on their Macs. They want people to LIKE OS-X. They want people to THINK Windows is the problem, and OS-X is the answer. It makes sense from a business prospective, not from an informed user perspective though...
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#9 User is offline   Evildave 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:10 PM

Parallels is the way to go for this. Parallels for serious work? Absolutely! It runs windoze games at full speed. The file I/O for host-shared files is native-fast, too. Something I've never gotten with other virtual machines, but even when 'slowed down', the work gets done.

Apparently, not only is the author of this article a clueless nitwit who doesn't use virtualization or crap about it, but neither does his cited 'Ed Bott'. Or perhaps he's quoting an article by 'Ed Bott' from YEARS AGO.

http://www.google.co...otages+Software

If you don't like iTunes, don't use iTunes. Buy a Windows 7 phone, or a 'Zune' or even an Android device.

You don't have to use iTunes. You don't have to buy an iPod or an iPhone. Soon the 'new' iOS will come out, and you flat out won't need iTunes at all.

It amazes me how people who 'hate' Apple buy products from Apple anyway... then complain.

It's like someone who buys a SUV or pickup or hummer and complains about gas prices.

As for mythical super-high-priced $2,668.00 'low end' macs, the 27" iMac is the 'high end' model. You could buy the designers 21" iMacs. You're inflating the price ($1,699.00 RETAIL from Apple for a BRAND NEW 27" model with the big, bright, VERY high resolution display) by $1000 just to pretend you have a point. If you hate Apples and don't want to pay for them, then don't buy them. You don't need to lie about the price for your excuse.
http://store.apple.c...mco=MjIwNTQyNjE

You don't need to run an emulator to run Adobe software on the Mac, either. And there is such a thing as a 'site license' for Adobe software, as well as various kinds of 'deals' available when purchasing lots of hardware. But people who actually run a business would know that, not fakers who lie about high prices.

As for the 'driver problem', one could as easily ask why Microsoft doesn't maintain infinite driver compatibility, either. They have billions in the bank, too. They turned out Windows Vista and told everyone to savor that crap sandwich.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users