Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pc Won't Connect To Router

#1 User is offline   johnohio 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:07 AM

HELP! Today my computer refuses to connect to the internet. After some playing around and calls to Time Warner here is where I am at..

Dell PC running Windows 7
Router is Linksys WRT54GS

If I connect my cable modem directly to my PC I can access the internet without any problem. As soon as I run it through my router I can no longer reach the internet. So here is what I tried..

rebooting the router, modem and PC many times
using a restore point from about a week ago on my PC
Pinging to my router - cannot find it.
I tried to update the firmware, router settings but when I go to 192.168.1.1 it just timnes out.

So basically all of a sudden my PC refuses to see the router that is plugged into it. I thought maybe the router died so I bought a new one and plugged it in and tried to set it up and got the same result - PC refuses to see the router that it plugged into it. But as soon as I run the connection directly from my cable modem to the PC it is fine and will connect to the internet.

Any help or ideas?!

Thanks

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

Hi and welcome to the forums. Try this: Turn off the router and disconnect it form the computer. Wait a couple of minutes, then turn the router back on. Wait for it to load the information ( about 30 secs or so ), then plug it back into the computer. Watch the lights on the router. Once they stop flickering ( or at least settle down some ), try to connect. The only other thing I can think of is you could be over firewalled.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   Tunz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:44 AM

Have you tried removing security software?
Do you use the same cable to connect directly to the modem?

This post has been edited by Tunz: 04 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

Does the PC say it is connected to the network AT ALL? Click the network icon in the taskbar. If so, go to network and sharing center, network adapters, and status for whichever one you are using. Then take the IP and replace the last part with 1. For instance: 192.168.1.6>192.168.1.1 or 10.10.10.5 > 10.10.10.1 Then can you get to the router config? Perhaps you need to change the settings for connecting to the isp. Some ISPs require you to type your internet connection login info in the router. (I've seen that with dsl, but haven't had to with my comcast cable internet)
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#5 User is offline   johnohio 

• Pip

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:33 AM

View Postcoastie65, on 04 September 2011 - 10:45 AM, said:

Hi and welcome to the forums. Try this: Turn off the router and disconnect it form the computer. Wait a couple of minutes, then turn the router back on. Wait for it to load the information ( about 30 secs or so ), then plug it back into the computer. Watch the lights on the router. Once they stop flickering ( or at least settle down some ), try to connect. The only other thing I can think of is you could be over firewalled.

I've tried this many many times with no luck.

View PostTunz, on 04 September 2011 - 11:44 AM, said:

Have you tried removing security software?
Do you use the same cable to connect directly to the modem?

I've tried turning off my security software but it did not help. I know the cable isn't bad, I've checked that too.

View PostLiveBrianD, on 04 September 2011 - 12:29 PM, said:

Does the PC say it is connected to the network AT ALL? Click the network icon in the taskbar. If so, go to network and sharing center, network adapters, and status for whichever one you are using. Then take the IP and replace the last part with 1. For instance: 192.168.1.6>192.168.1.1 or 10.10.10.5 > 10.10.10.1 Then can you get to the router config? Perhaps you need to change the settings for connecting to the isp. Some ISPs require you to type your internet connection login info in the router. (I've seen that with dsl, but haven't had to with my comcast cable internet)

The computer will say it is not connected to the network. I cannot log in to my router as my pc just doesn't connect to it.

I haven't added any software of hardware lately so I'm not really sure why all of a sudden I cannot connect. This is very frustrating.

#6 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:06 AM

What if you run an admin command prompt and type
ipconfig /renew

Also, tried a different ethernet cable?
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#7 User is offline   Kazmatron 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:19 AM

Have you checked to make sure your computer's network adapter doesn't have a static IP address assigned to it?

Should look like this:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Kazmatron: 05 September 2011 - 10:22 AM

#8 User is offline   johnohio 

• Pip

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:28 AM

I attached a new router and immediately had internet service again. I think the problem is the router. Time Warner mentioned there is some power spike (?) on my lineand I wonder if that somehow fried my router. Anyway I am back up again so issue closed. Thanks everyone for your input.

#9 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

Time warner (and comcast) cable modems aren't the smartest boxes on the planet... they have been known to only allow internet access over a single MAC address (that is why wifi routers have an option to clone the PC's MAC address) Time Warner had to kick off a full modem reset to allow internet access on the new wifi router for me. It cannot be done from the customer side unless you really know what you are doing and understand how cable providers work. Overall it's a pain and I feel for you on your headaches. I have been through both the TimeWarner and the Comcast run-arounds... both results were exactly the same (needing to reset the cable modem from their side of the network)
Even the experts started out as beginners

#10 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:43 PM

View Postcrazy4laptops, on 17 September 2011 - 12:30 PM, said:

Time warner (and comcast) cable modems aren't the smartest boxes on the planet... they have been known to only allow internet access over a single MAC address (that is why wifi routers have an option to clone the PC's MAC address) Time Warner had to kick off a full modem reset to allow internet access on the new wifi router for me. It cannot be done from the customer side unless you really know what you are doing and understand how cable providers work. Overall it's a pain and I feel for you on your headaches. I have been through both the TimeWarner and the Comcast run-arounds... both results were exactly the same (needing to reset the cable modem from their side of the network)

Since the original poster said connecting the computer directly AND using a new router resulting in a working connection, what you described is NOT the issue. The issue was clearly a router going bad. If Time Warner was pulling the crap you are talking about, then hooking up the computer directly would have required the user to call in to Time Warner to reset the modem/register the MAC address of the computer.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#11 User is offline   Gatewaygeek 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

As stupid as this may sound, Have you always connected through this router? If not, did you connect directly through the PC all the time or did you have another router. Either way, If this is true, try changing the MAC address on the Router to match the one of you PC or Previous Router (try the PC's first, regardless, since we know that works). If you had a router before this one, chances are it cloned the address of your PC. Another thing, Try connecting another computer directly to the modem and see if it gets internet (the reason for this is to verify if the modem will only communicate with a specific MAC address or not)

This post has been edited by Gatewaygeek: 15 October 2011 - 11:33 AM

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" Thomas Edison
"I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world." Thomas Edison
"Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something." Thomas Edison

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users