Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How-to-use A Hard Drive Docking Station

#1 User is offline   absolutebob 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

So I thought this would be easy, but now I'm confused.

I just got a Thermaltake BlacX hard drive docking station. I remove my laptop hard drive, which isn't working anymore, and insert it into the docking station. (I'm using Windows 7.) 1) Under Computer, I don't see it. 2) Under Computer Management, I can see the disk, and it reads Healthy but no File System like NTFS. I have two choices: 1) convert to dynamic disk or delete the volume.

What I want to do is read the data, and copy any files I might still have on it?

What am I missing or should do next?

#2 User is offline   tman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:57 PM

see this info from the manufacturer:

http://www.thermalta...aq.aspx?ID=1143

see section 2
"If the drive is not seen here then please check your connection to the computer. If connection is good, then try another drive in the unit. If both drives do not show up then there is a problem with the device."

#3 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:21 AM

View Postabsolutebob, on 10 September 2011 - 08:25 PM, said:

So I thought this would be easy, but now I'm confused.

I just got a Thermaltake BlacX hard drive docking station. I remove my laptop hard drive, which isn't working anymore, and insert it into the docking station. (I'm using Windows 7.) 1) Under Computer, I don't see it. 2) Under Computer Management, I can see the disk, and it reads Healthy but no File System like NTFS. I have two choices: 1) convert to dynamic disk or delete the volume.

What I want to do is read the data, and copy any files I might still have on it?

Hi, Bob, and welcome to the forums.

I'm a little confused. Your laptop's hard drive stopped working, so you removed it, plugged it into another PC via the docking station, but can't get the information off of it. Is that correct?

Also, I'm going to guess that you don't have a backup. Pity. That would make recovering the files much easier.

Since the drive appears to be unharmed physically, you should be able to recover at least some of the files with software. The computer you have it attached to...what operating system is it running?

Lincoln

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

Tried Recuva? That might get somewhere.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#5 User is offline   MLStrand56 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:27 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 11 September 2011 - 11:07 AM, said:

Tried Recuva?.

Isn't Recuve just a 3rd. party Undelete program?

MLStrand56

#6 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

This is one of those moments I highly recomend you grab a copy of Linux.First, Linux isn't as sensitive to the filesystem problems that Windows is (meaning it can work its way through some unsual situations). Secondly, you can make a bit-for-bit backup of the drive so you can work on a COPY and not the original.

Grab a copy of Linux Mint, or Mepis, boot the live session, and copy the drive first thing. Unfortunately for all involved, there is going to be a lot of command line work involved.

First, mount your working drive. Doing this is simple, open "Computer", look for something labled as a 200GB file system on a 200GB hard drive (whatever actually fits your machine of course) and double click it. Once done, just minimize that window, it is no longer needed.

Right click on the desktop and click "opn in terminal".

In that terminal window, type in
sudo su

Your prompt should change from green to red and now have a '# at the end.
Now we want to get to your hard drive, and create a director to place the temporary file.
cd /media/[insert the hard drive name here]

That name will be a long string of numbers and letters. Just type in the first two or three and hit tab - Linux will complete that command for you.

mkdir backup

This gives us a place on your Windows drive to work from.
cd backup

Now I need you to think about your system setup for a moment. How many Hard drives, and DVD drives are installed on your system? The norm is one of each.

Linux does things very differently than Windows regarding how hard drives are handled. So the first thing I want you to do, is veryify which hard drive is which. There are a couple ways to acomplish this. But I am going to take you through the more dangerous route as it will also tell you what partition you want.

fdisk /dev/sdb

I am starting with sdb because that is the second scsi device (sata = scsi in Linux). If your DVD drive is SATA as well - then start with sdc once there you will have a fairly simple prompt asking for a command. Enter "p". Then read the output. The first line will include the most important information, the size. Use that to make sure you are looking at the drive drive. 1024MB = 1GB. So a 200GB drive should show up as 204800 MB in fdisk. Then look at the partition list below it, and find the number of the largest partition. In many OEMs that is number 2 with a backup at three. So my next assumption will be based on that. Now enter 'q' to quit.

Now it is time to make your backup:
dd if=/dev/sdc2 of=backup.img

That command will create a backup using the exmaples and assumptions above. Use the values appropriate to your drive for the input (if).
Once done, mount the device to a temporary location to see if you can access your files.
First you will need a temporary directory to work from:
mkdir /media/temp
mount backup.img /media/temp -o loop -t ntfs
cd /media/temp

From here, you can actually use the file browser (Computer) again, and simply redirect it to that location, and go from there. If anything more extensive is needed to recover, by all means, post back, and we can advise further.

edit: fixed code tag

This post has been edited by waldojim: 21 December 2011 - 12:31 PM

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#7 User is offline   windhook 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

Hello Lincoln, I got here through a google on BlacX docks
Did Bob get things right way round yet ? I have a Bx unit that says on the box : Windows Vista - XP - 2000. Today my old HP SmallForm s7627 ( running XP Pro) stopped. Dead. Not powered down and faded, just boom, like when the power goes out. A prod to the power switch made some power leds flash on, but it wouldn't stay on. I had planned on replacing the DVD drive anyway, so I pulled the covers off and looked for dustbunnies , mice and crickets, but nothing obvious. I remembered I had the BlacX still new in the box so while I had the wrenches out I pulled the HDD. Five minutes later, we were patched into the dock and connected to my newer build running Win7. It recognized the HP drive but not all the files are there. It SAYS the drive is over half full, as it was - but I can't find or get at the files. Is the root of my problem the dock, do I need a different unit to work with Win7 ? I want to check the power supply before I blame the mobo or the HDD. The HDD is about a year and some old and a twin to the unit in my newer computer. Sooooo, would it be worth the effort to hardmount the HDD running Xp, (Can I do That ?) or is it best to upgrade the dock, get all the old files and THEN stick the drive in the new /puter? The fact that I can see the drive(or my computer can, anyway) and that some files open has me optimistic. Any wisdom you might spare would be greatly and gratefully appreciated.

Thanks !
KME

[/quote]
Hi, Bob, and welcome to the forums.

I'm a little confused. Your laptop's hard drive stopped working, so you removed it, plugged it into another PC via the docking station, but can't get the information off of it. Is that correct?

Also, I'm going to guess that you don't have a backup. Pity. That would make recovering the files much easier.

Since the drive appears to be unharmed physically, you should be able to recover at least some of the files with software. The computer you have it attached to...what operating system is it running?

Lincoln
[/quote]

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users