• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Xbox For The Beginner

#1 User is offline   Phuztone 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:11 PM

Hello,
I'm a senior citizen. My son setup his XBox 360 in our spare room so he & I could play some games. We use to play Nintendo & Atari games long ago. My son (31 yrs. old) has been very patient helping me learn the latest controller. But I am having a really hard time catching on. I have played many games on the aforementioned game platforms & on the PC. But the XBox controller has so much going on, it baffles me.

Does anyone know of any XBox games that would make a great instructional tool to make it easier for an old geezer (or should I say old "geeker") to learn the controller??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
The Phuz

#2 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:35 PM

View PostPhuztone, on 05 October 2011 - 02:11 PM, said:

Hello,
I'm a senior citizen. My son setup his XBox 360 in our spare room so he & I could play some games. We use to play Nintendo & Atari games long ago. My son (31 yrs. old) has been very patient helping me learn the latest controller. But I am having a really hard time catching on. I have played many games on the aforementioned game platforms & on the PC. But the XBox controller has so much going on, it baffles me.

Does anyone know of any XBox games that would make a great instructional tool to make it easier for an old geezer (or should I say old "geeker") to learn the controller??

Thanks,
The Phuz

What games are you trying to play on Xbox?

I understand what you mean about the controller.
Being a PC gamer then going to that style controller was a challenge for me also.
It is something that just takes time.

Do you like call of duty 2?
Thats a fun game that really doesn't require every button used to have fun and be half decent.

#3 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:20 PM

Hello,

Thanks,
The Phuz

Hi. I have no Xbox, but do game on the PC, PS2, & PS3. You might find something like Oblivion or Fallout 3 and little less taxing and will get you familiar with the controls. Those are single player games though and RPG's ( Role playing games ). Incidently, I am not a spring chicken these days either. Just got my Medicare card. :D
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#4 User is offline   Phuztone 

• Pip

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have had several suggestions lately. Most of them suggest adventure games such as Myst, Riven, Bastion, etc. Most suggests stay away from first person shooters for just starting out & then move on as you get more comfortable. That seems to be the best option for now. I'll be visiting GameSpot soon.

Thanks again for your help!!

Coast65, congratulations on getting your Medicare card & joining the old-farts club!!

#5 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

View PostPhuztone, on 06 October 2011 - 10:34 AM, said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I have had several suggestions lately. Most of them suggest adventure games such as Myst, Riven, Bastion, etc. Most suggests stay away from first person shooters for just starting out & then move on as you get more comfortable. That seems to be the best option for now. I'll be visiting GameSpot soon.

Thanks again for your help!!

Coast65, congratulations on getting your Medicare card & joining the old-farts club!!

Not a bad route at all. Depending on the style of games you are looking for, Coasties recommendation of Fallout (3 or NewVegas) are great options, Oblivion is another excellent choice. If you are looking for something to help you get used to a faster game play, and how to keep from dying in First Person Shooters, the new game Rage may actually be a great balance between RPG and FPS for you. Rage is also the only one on that list to include a CO-OP multiplayer mode as well.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#6 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

Hello,

Thanks,
The Phuz

You do not have to be "experienced" (what my mom uses when discussing "senior rates"...i.e. "reduced rater for the experienced"...just a tad bit of denial there :D ) to have trouble with those controllers. They frustrate the crap out of me and I am only "moderately seasoned" as opposed to "experienced". That is a big reason why I have never gotten a console (other than a Wii) and do most gaming (when I do any) on my Windows computer. When I used to play my cousin's kid in Halo years ago, he would always frag me because of that (it also helped that the Xbox was his and he played Halo a LOT more than me since I did not have an Xbox). I can generally do a lot better on the Wii, but even some games on the Wii mess with me (i.e. the Zelda game when you use both the "wand" and the "nunchuck").

I suspect that others have said, it mainly just takes getting used to...which I have never done. You could just try doing single player version of the games you play with your son when you have some spare time so that you get some practice without the pressure of getting fragged or clobbered by your son.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#7 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:20 AM

View Postsmax013, on 07 October 2011 - 10:14 PM, said:

You do not have to be "experienced" (what my mom uses when discussing "senior rates"...i.e. "reduced rater for the experienced"...just a tad bit of denial there :D ) to have trouble with those controllers. They frustrate the crap out of me and I am only "moderately seasoned" as opposed to "experienced". That is a big reason why I have never gotten a console (other than a Wii) and do most gaming (when I do any) on my Windows computer. When I used to play my cousin's kid in Halo years ago, he would always frag me because of that (it also helped that the Xbox was his and he played Halo a LOT more than me since I did not have an Xbox). I can generally do a lot better on the Wii, but even some games on the Wii mess with me (i.e. the Zelda game when you use both the "wand" and the "nunchuck").

I suspect that others have said, it mainly just takes getting used to...which I have never done. You could just try doing single player version of the games you play with your son when you have some spare time so that you get some practice without the pressure of getting fragged or clobbered by your son.

There is a word I haven't heard in quite some time! I can't remember the last time I used the word fragged! :lol:

I have to agree though, the issue is entire in what you get comfortable with. Then you have to take into account that nearly EVERY stinking game has different controller layouts, so when you get used to one game, you are borked in another.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#8 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:19 AM

The Controller programing does tend to be a bit different from game to game for things such as accesiing the inventory and changing weapons. Conversely, If you play, say Fallout 3 them go to Fallout: New Vegas, the controls will be the same. Same with say Morrowind and then going to Oblivion. There are some very good Action Adventure things out ther such as the Lara Croft Tomb Raider series ( don't care much for the motercycle riding in them as I have a difficult time controlling the motorcycle ).
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#9 User is offline   amphi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:04 PM

Hello,

Thanks,
The Phuz

Its not about age sir, but some controllers are making simple things complicated. But practice makes perfect, so I suggest: let's all practice, practice, practice!

#10 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:54 AM

View Postamphi, on 10 October 2011 - 09:04 PM, said:

Hello,

Thanks,
The Phuz

Its not about age sir, but some controllers are making simple things complicated. But practice makes perfect, so I suggest: let's all practice, practice, practice!

Yep. It does help. :D

#11 User is offline   Phuztone 

• Pip

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:02 AM

View Postcoastie65, on 12 October 2011 - 04:54 AM, said:

Hello,

Thanks,
The Phuz

That's just it, the "practice, practice, practice" has led to more frustration, frustration, frustration!!

#12 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

View PostPhuztone, on 12 October 2011 - 08:02 AM, said:

View Postcoastie65, on 12 October 2011 - 04:54 AM, said:

Hello,

Thanks,
The Phuz

That's just it, the "practice, practice, practice" has led to more frustration, frustration, frustration!!

:lol: I know the feeling. I was just playing Deus Ex: Invisible War ( taking a break ) and Dying, Dying , and Dying some more. I never seem to have enpugh Ammo. Another thing to do is to sey the game play on the easiest level the first time through.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users