• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gps In Samsung Galaxy Player

#1 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:12 PM

I happened to read about the 'Samsung Galaxy Player' recently - basically, an iPod touch sort of device. It has Android 2.3, wifi, apparently GPS, but no cell connectivity. Can I use google maps on this, have it download the map database offline and use it while on a car trip, offline, to navigate? Or would this, say, tell me where I am and where a nearby restaurant is if I'm standing next to a wifi hotspot?
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#2 User is offline   SnyperTodd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:54 AM

Brian, I was just looking at this yesterday actually. In the Google Maps app, if you go to 'Labs' there is an option to enable 'Pre-Cache Map Data'. The description says that it will precache the map data along your route. I haven't experimented with it yet, but it is there. I believe it can also use known nearby hotspots to determine your approximate location.
"Obstacles are things you see when you take your eyes off the goal." -Alan Kulwicki, 1954-1993

#3 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:13 AM

View PostSnyperTodd, on 16 October 2011 - 06:54 AM, said:

Brian, I was just looking at this yesterday actually. In the Google Maps app, if you go to 'Labs' there is an option to enable 'Pre-Cache Map Data'. The description says that it will precache the map data along your route. I haven't experimented with it yet, but it is there. I believe it can also use known nearby hotspots to determine your approximate location.

But from what I've read, such only lets you browse the map offline, not use the GPS to actually figure out where you are on that map. I haven't tested this though.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:21 PM

I believe there are Android GPS navigation apps that have offline maps. Navigon is one:

MobileNavigator Android is an on-board solution. This means that all map material, voice announcements and system files are saved on the telephone. Therefore no charges or waiting time for data transfer are incurred.

Of course, it is NOT free.

FWIW, there are also GPS apps for off road/hiking purposed that use offline topo maps with the built in GPS.

In general, that is the problem with the built-in "free" GPS apps/maps that many smartphones have...they require a data connection for fully work. While with a smartphone, this will not a be huge problem most of the time, it is a problem when you get in an area with crappy cell coverage. And obviously becomes an issue with any "media player" device or tablet that has GPS, but NOT a mobile broadband connection.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

My dad finds Google Maps to, in general, be better than the other GPS things available.
Spoiler

#6 User is offline   SnyperTodd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:12 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 16 October 2011 - 10:13 AM, said:

But from what I've read, such only lets you browse the map offline, not use the GPS to actually figure out where you are on that map. I haven't tested this though.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. When you precache the map data, it downloads the maps you'll need for that route while you're still on wifi or have service. Then you won't get the blurry yellow and grey squares when you run to the end of the map and don't have service to download the next one. The GPS functions still work as normal on that downloaded map data.
"Obstacles are things you see when you take your eyes off the goal." -Alan Kulwicki, 1954-1993

#7 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:42 PM

View PostSnyperTodd, on 17 October 2011 - 12:12 PM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 16 October 2011 - 10:13 AM, said:

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. When you precache the map data, it downloads the maps you'll need for that route while you're still on wifi or have service. Then you won't get the blurry yellow and grey squares when you run to the end of the map and don't have service to download the next one. The GPS functions still work as normal on that downloaded map data.

You know how you can look around with google maps even on a PC that lacks GPS? I've heard that's all google maps (android) lets you do offline, not actively take advantage of the gps in the device.
Spoiler

#8 User is offline   SnyperTodd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 17 October 2011 - 03:42 PM, said:

You know how you can look around with google maps even on a PC that lacks GPS? I've heard that's all google maps (android) lets you do offline, not actively take advantage of the gps in the device.

Oh, no that's not true at all. You don't need an active data connection to use the GPS. The only thing you need a connection for is to download the maps as you need them. Pre caching the maps makes it so the maps you are going to need are already on the device.

#9 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

View PostSnyperTodd, on 17 October 2011 - 03:56 PM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 17 October 2011 - 03:42 PM, said:

Oh, no that's not true at all. You don't need an active data connection to use the GPS. The only thing you need a connection for is to download the maps as you need them. Pre caching the maps makes it so the maps you are going to need are already on the device.

Great! I'll have to check one out the next time I go to an electronics store. This could seriously be something my dad would consider getting - a bit bigger than the ipod touch (3.5" is a bit cramped, he takes it on trips, so 5" should be enough), gps for google maps, and no stupid data plan that he'll never use. Perfect!
Spoiler

#10 User is offline   av8r1 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

Pre-caching doesn't work. Tried it today on a 40 mile trip. It took me there, but wouldn't bring me back. Even if it did work, what kind of GPS is this if you have to download 10 mile radius areas along your route and wait for each one to load? Seriously, I must be missing something here. They sell this product stating it has GPS navigation with driving guidance and it only works if you're connected to a wifi? So, if you want to go somewhere you have to drive around and find a wifi first? Really? Why can't you just download a map of the whole country once and be done with it? Or at least a region. This method works with aviation apps. Why not with driving?

#11 User is offline   SnyperTodd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:38 AM

Precaching works fine for me, but it is more work than it needs to be. Anyway, there are plenty of solutions where you can download a map of an entire region or state and use it offline. My dad uses Sygic on his tablet, and Smax already mentioned Navigon above. Both are in the ~$40 range.

#12 User is offline   av8r1 

• Pip

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

Thanks Todd. I'll give Sygic a try.

#13 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

View PostSnyperTodd, on 03 March 2012 - 06:38 AM, said:

Precaching works fine for me, but it is more work than it needs to be. Anyway, there are plenty of solutions where you can download a map of an entire region or state and use it offline. My dad uses Sygic on his tablet, and Smax already mentioned Navigon above. Both are in the ~$40 range.

FWIW, I use Navigon on my iPhone...works great...and has all the maps on the device so I am good to go even with no Internet connection (although the Internet connection can give me traffic updates I believe).
Good riddance PCWorld.

#14 User is offline   av8r1 

• Pip

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Sygic is very cool!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users