• Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:01 PM

Post your comments for How to Repair a Corrupt Windows 7 Installation here

#2 User is offline   joecomputerso0ws 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:01 AM

super article

now i have enough space to install windows 7 on my ssd. windows 8 is on it already

#3 User is offline   TribHdtv 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:21 AM

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR WORK

#4 User is offline   paleolith 

• PipPip

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

We all have recovery discs; who has retail Windows install discs?

#5 User is offline   annontechsupport 

• PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:31 AM

View Postpaleolith, on 07 November 2011 - 05:23 PM, said:

We all have recovery discs; who has retail Windows install discs?

People who know manufacturer recoery disks aren't the best for repairing the system. Or people that prefer to build their own systems.

See if your friendly neighborhood PC technician/shop can get you an OS disk, you don't even need the key. You may also be able to get an OEM copy of the os from the manufacturer. Best reason to have Dells in the enterprise, they include OS and driver disks with most purchases instead of "recovery disks" to reset the PC to factory standard.

You should also be able to register your Key on MS site(MSDN) to get a downloadable copy of the disk to burn.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/

At least they allow that for eopen licenses, haven't tried for the OEM key on the sticker lately.

#6 User is offline   kolabere 

• Pip

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

NO!

Didn't work On my system (Win7 Pro SP1), despite following the instructions to the letter for 3 attempts. Clicking "Upgrade/Repair" after Compatibilty Test returns the following: "Issues preventing Windows from Upgrading . .
Your current version of Windows is more recent than the version you are trying to upgrade to. Windows cannot complete the upgrade."

Finally, the 'Windows Compatibility Report (saved to Desktop)' states unambiguously:
"Windows 7 Pro cannot be upgraded to Windows 7 Pro . . ."

#7 User is offline   mikemcking 

• Pip

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:01 AM

Is there anything about this repair procedure that would be different for Vista? (Ultimate, SP2, with an OEM product key from Gateway)?

#8 User is offline   BruceHerwig 

• Pip

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

Sadly, this didn't work for me for either of my computers. One computer I got the "current version of Windows is more recent than the version you are trying to upgrade". On another computer I got "To upgrade from one edition of Windows 7 to another edition of Windows 7, use Windows Anytime Upgrade. Cancel the upgrade, open the Start menu, and search for Windows Anytime Upgrade." Neither time did I get a "Repair" button option.

#9 User is offline   AlistairCampbell 

• Pip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

View PostBruceHerwig, on 16 January 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

Sadly, this didn't work for me for either of my computers. One computer I got the "current version of Windows is more recent than the version you are trying to upgrade". On another computer I got "To upgrade from one edition of Windows 7 to another edition of Windows 7, use Windows Anytime Upgrade. Cancel the upgrade, open the Start menu, and search for Windows Anytime Upgrade." Neither time did I get a "Repair" button option.
A fairly critical statement contained in the method is "You'll need a Windows 7 installation disc that matches the version of Windows already installed on your system" That should really say that the version installed on your system needs to match the installation disk. So you may need to uninstall Windows updates. And if you do this upgrade repair using a pre- SP1 disk make sure to revalidate the repaired installation before you reinstall the updates. I found to my cost when I first installed my OEM Windows 7 that it failed to validate because I'd installed the SP1 update.

#10 User is offline   annontechsupport 

• PipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:21 AM

View Postkolabere, on 22 December 2011 - 01:40 PM, said:

NO!

Didn't work On my system (Win7 Pro SP1), despite following the instructions to the letter for 3 attempts. Clicking "Upgrade/Repair" after Compatibilty Test returns the following: "Issues preventing Windows from Upgrading . .
Your current version of Windows is more recent than the version you are trying to upgrade to. Windows cannot complete the upgrade."

Finally, the 'Windows Compatibility Report (saved to Desktop)' states unambiguously:

Yeah, it really should be stated more clearly that you can't upgrade windows 7 Pro SP1 to windows 7 Pro (pre SP1, or install an older version of windows over a newer version). At that point, see if you can't find someone with a copy of the latest SP windows disk of your flavor of windows and get him to make you a duplicate.

Really, Microsoft should make availible with a little more ease copies of the OS with the latest SP and not lock it to certain keys for repair purposes. I sorta understand the risk there though, someone could use it to mass install windows, but don't those versions of windows still need to validate their license?

~Fin

#11 User is offline   jitali 

• Pip

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

NO!

No It did not work for me either because my installed version is more uptodate!

#12 User is offline   Habdab 

• Pip

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

View Postjitali, on 26 May 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

NO!

No It did not work for me either because my installed version is more uptodate!

To anyone having this problem, I found a solution. Just un-install Service pack 1 and go through the process once more. All should work well.

#13 User is offline   JonnyVee 

• Pip

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

What if the IN-PLACE INSTALL Fails?

#14 User is offline   JonnyVee 

• Pip

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

What if the IN-PLACE INSTALL Fails?

#15 User is offline   mohitingale5 

• Pip

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

my windows dont work properly when i open any drive it soesnot open and when i open browser it redirects to d home what should i do

#16 User is offline   mohitingale5 

• Pip

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

my windows dont work properly when i open any drive it soesnot open and when i open browser it redirects to d home

#17 User is offline   mohitingale5 

• Pip

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

my windows dont work properly when i open any drive it soesnot open and when i open browser it redirects to d home

#18 User is offline   partist 

• Pip

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

jitali said

kolabere said
NO! Didn't work On my system (Win7 Pro SP1), despite following the instructions to the letter for 3 attempts. Clicking "Upgrade/Repair" after Compatibilty Test returns the following: "Issues preventing Windows from Upgrading . . Your current version of Windows is more recent than the version you are trying to upgrade to. Windows cannot complete the upgrade." Finally, the 'Windows Compatibility Report (saved to Desktop)' states unambiguously: "Windows 7 Pro cannot be upgraded to Windows 7 Pro . . ." No It did not work for me either because my installed version is more uptodate! To anyone having this problem, I found a solution. Just un-install Service pack 1 and go through the process once more. All should work well.

Thanks Habdab, that did the trick for me

#19 User is offline   stephen35 

• Pip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

hi people need help to upgrade vista to window7 for free any ideas how to do that?

#20 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

View Poststephen35, on 30 November 2012 - 11:58 PM, said:

hi people need help to upgrade vista to window7 for free any ideas how to do that?

Sorry, Windows 7 isn't free. I can't help you there.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users