PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Kindle Fire Has A Secret Ingredient: Amazon Prime - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kindle Fire Has A Secret Ingredient: Amazon Prime

#1 User is offline   PCWorld 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:10 AM

Post your comments for Kindle Fire Has a Secret Ingredient: Amazon Prime here

#2 User is offline   vertical2010 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:12 AM

Guess another way to look at it is, to get your money's worth, you have to spend another $79 on the Kindle Fire - which brings its price to $279 vs. $249 for the Nook tablet.

But I do agree it is well worth it. As a current Nook owner, I am leaning toward switching to Amazon. BN is missing out on a huge opportunity with its stores: The "free in store" digital content has gotten much leaner over the past year as have the other in-store freebies (like snacks and coffee)...and this while the price of e-books has skyrocketed by 50% or more (at Amazon too). BN: How about free BN membership for Nook buyers, and an in-store experience that is truly worthwhile. btw, your in-store music usually sucks..how about something more compatible with READING, like classical.

#3 User is offline   10basetom 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:27 AM

View Postvertical2010, on 13 November 2011 - 07:12 AM, said:

Guess another way to look at it is, to get your money's worth, you have to spend another $79 on the Kindle Fire - which brings its price to $279 vs. $249 for the Nook tablet.

If you already have a Netflix account or don't mind free standard shipping (5-7 days) on items over $25, then you can opt not to subscribe to Prime and save $50 over the Nook (remember that the Fire will launch with Netflix and Hulu+ apps, just like the Nook).

#4 User is offline   RickJungerberg 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:18 AM

According to the Amazon webpage, this is a 1 month trial not a full subscription. Please correct me if I am wrong.

#5 User is offline   10basetom 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

MaRColle are you a troll, or a B&N employee, or did you get fired from Amazon? :) You got most of your "facts" wrong buddy. I think people are smarter than you think: they will research on Google rather than take the troll bait.

You can come back and flame me when the Nook outsells the Fire.

#6 User is offline   simpleminded 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

View Post10basetom, on 13 November 2011 - 09:39 AM, said:

MaRColle are you a troll, or a B&N employee, or did you get fired from Amazon? :) You got most of your "facts" wrong buddy. I think people are smarter than you think: they will research on Google rather than take the troll bait.

You can come back and flame me when the Nook outsells the Fire.

For the most part I agree with MaRColle. The extras you get with the Nook Tablet easily justify the $50 price premium. The only thing That is wrong would be his saying that the Fire has crap hardware. Both the Nook tablet and the Kindle Fire will be packing the same Texas Instruments OMAP 4 4430 SoC's with PowerVR SGX 540 graphics. Also, you can bet the Nook will be the easier of the two to root and overclock. Android 4.0 will be launching on Ti OMAP 4 SoC's so you can expect a Cyanogen Mod (CM9) for the Nook before spring. I have a feeling the Fire is going to be very locked down and more difficult to root because of the lack of a sd micro exspansion slot and since Amazon is relying on selling services and content to turn a profit.

#7 User is offline   mduvall 

• PipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

This article is basically a commercial for Amazon.

#8 User is offline   GradyPhilpott 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:26 PM

Amazon Prime is worth having whether or not you ever intend to buy a Fire. Prime just makes using Amazon that much more enjoyable and it is well worth the price.

So, if you are a frequent Amazon user as I am and you don't use Prime user, you're just cheating yourself.

Adding the price of Prime to the price of a Fire is not logical.

The real value of Prime is increased ease of shopping and using Amazon and not necessarily what it does for Fire.

#9 User is offline   nonseq 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

As far as I can tell the Nook is just another Android "tablet" with no compelling reason to purchase. The nice thing is that it's already at fire sale like price. The 5-10% of potential Android purchasers who are interested in the Nook will be very happy with their purchases.

The Kindle Fire offers an integrated system that does offer, in my opinion, a compelling reason for purchase. Many, many more Fires will be purchased by consumers who will be very happy without the hassles of the Android OS. (I know that Fire OS is built on Android but Amazon has made their own fork that will be more user friendly)

#10 User is offline   rockster 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

I am not a kindle fire owner yet, but I am seriously thinking of buying one for my wife for Christmas. I am already an Amazon Prime member. Remember that Amazon Prime gets you free shipping on tons of products sold by Amazon - Prime isn't just for getting content for the Kindle Fire. I have been an Amazon Prime customer for years and I get my $79 worth of Prime membership very quickly as Amazon has become my one stop shop for gifts for family members and friends plus I save tons of money on many other things I buy for myself. Another amazing thing about Prime membership is that you can have up to 4 family members sign up under your membership (no additional cost) and they can buy Amazon stuff directly from Amazon and use your Prime membership to get free shipping. You can also buy stuff on Amazon and have it shipped to someone else free with your Prime membership. That $79 investment starts to look pretty inexpensive when you see all the ways you can use it.

#11 User is offline   CodeHonor 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

View Postvertical2010, on 13 November 2011 - 07:12 AM, said:

But I do agree it is well worth it. As a current Nook owner, I am leaning toward switching to Amazon. BN is missing out on a huge opportunity with its stores: The "free in store" digital content has gotten much leaner over the past year as have the other in-store freebies (like snacks and coffee)...and this while the price of e-books has skyrocketed by 50% or more (at Amazon too). BN: How about free BN membership for Nook buyers, and an in-store experience that is truly worthwhile. btw, your in-store music usually sucks..how about something more compatible with READING, like classical.

Amazon Prime is not mandatory, but if you want to factor in the cost of Amazon prime you must do the same with the Nook. Hulu and nexflix cost around $16 per month which comes to an added cost of $192 dollars, with no E-Book Borrowing, or free 2 day shipping. With the Nook You only buying a plain Android tablet with no Added benefits, like the Kindle Fire. The total cost of the nook is 250 + 192 = $422 dollars.

This post has been edited by CodeHonor: 13 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

#12 User is offline   nonseq 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

View Postrockster, on 13 November 2011 - 01:13 PM, said:

I am not a kindle fire owner yet, but I am seriously thinking of buying one for my wife for Christmas. I am already an Amazon Prime member. Remember that Amazon Prime gets you free shipping on tons of products sold by Amazon - Prime isn't just for getting content for the Kindle Fire. I have been an Amazon Prime customer for years and I get my $79 worth of Prime membership very quickly as Amazon has become my one stop shop for gifts for family members and friends plus I save tons of money on many other things I buy for myself. Another amazing thing about Prime membership is that you can have up to 4 family members sign up under your membership (no additional cost) and they can buy Amazon stuff directly from Amazon and use your Prime membership to get free shipping. You can also buy stuff on Amazon and have it shipped to someone else free with your Prime membership. That $79 investment starts to look pretty inexpensive when you see all the ways you can use it.

Over the years my Prime membership has paid for itself many times over- without the benefits of Netflix or Hulu. For me, it's a great deal. Your mileage may vary.

This post has been edited by nonseq: 13 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

#13 User is offline   thewazak 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

If you are an online/Amazon addict, then I guess the Fire will be exactly what the folks want.
But If potential users think they are getting a "real" tablet, then they will have to wait - or put up with Apple's walled garden instead of Amazon's walled garden.
No wonder Amazon is not touting the Fire as an Android tablet: they'd be sued for false advertising!
I'm just wondering how much Bradley was paid to write this Amazon ad.
To disagree without being disagreeable is the art of debate. Simply because one has a strong opinion, it does not necessarily make an alternative opinion less valid.

#14 User is offline   karthiq 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:50 PM

So far no two tablets or dare i say no two electronic devices have been such a competition to each other as much as the kindle fire and the nook tablet are now.

#15 User is offline   10basetom 

• Pip

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:13 AM

View Postsimpleminded, on 13 November 2011 - 10:27 AM, said:

For the most part I agree with MaRColle. The extras you get with the Nook Tablet easily justify the $50 price premium. The only thing That is wrong would be his saying that the Fire has crap hardware.

Here are all the incorrect or misleading statements:

• Nook Tablet has built-in optimized Netflix and Hulu Plus apps that provide significantly more content than Amazon's own very limited offerings in terms of movies and shows. -- The Fire will also launch with Netflix and Hulu Plus.
  • Nook app store has all the apps that anyone can need - Angry Birds, Pandora, QuickOffice, etc. -- The Fire will also launch with all of these titles. Now that reviews are in, it seems you can easily sideload apps into the Fire, though they won't be guaranteed to work perfectly.
  • double the RAM (for much zoomier performance especially when several apps are open) -- Until you have both devices in front of you and do a side-to-side comparison, everything is speculation. In fact, someone already had a chance to compare the two, and the results may surprise you: "As for RAM, that can be a bit misleading as well; the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S seem to get along just fine with 512MB, while there are 1GB Android phones and tablets that can get burpy. What we can go on, though, is our hands-on impressions of the two tablets. In action today, the Nook Tablet's performance wasn't entirely promising. The custom built UI was noticeably sluggish, as was the web browser. On the plus side, the media apps ran smoothly. Our first look at the Kindle Fire, on the other hand, revealed shockingly fast and fluid performance even though it's got weaker specs on paper." (source: http://gizmodo.com/5...ferences-add-up)
  • Also, it is $224 if sign up for Barnes & Noble membership. -- Amazon has a similar promotion where you get $30 off if you apply for an Amazon credit card.
  • Nook Tablet's battery lasts 11.5 hours for reading and 9 hours of video playback time - that's vs. posted 8 hours for reading and 7.5 hours of video playback on Kindle Fire. -- Again, nobody knows until we get real test results in. As of now, it's all marketing fluff.
  • Nook Tablet has fully laminated non-glare HD screen that all reviewers noted to be much better than of Kindle Fire. -- Really, all reviewers said the Nook had the better screen, huh? Maybe in the Twilight Zone. Both use IPS screens like on the iPad. The Fire uses the same Gorilla Glass used on the iPad, but has an added anti-reflective treatment.
  • Nooks can be rooted by burning OS image on the microSD card and booting off it without rooting the actual device... -- This is not relevant to Amazon's target audience (non-geek media consumers) who can care less about rooting their tablet. But since we're on this topic, I should point out that unless you buy an expensive high-performance SD card, running a rooted Android tablet off the SD card will naturally be slower than running it off internal RAM.
  • On Kindle, once you rooted there's no coming back. -- I highly doubt it. Rooting these days is usually unbrickable if you remember to back up and follow instructions carefully.
  • Kindle Fire is one underpowered piece of scraps of old RIM PlayBook hardware. -- It's got the same OMAP 4 dual core CPU as the Nook 2. See complete specs comparison.

Here's a view from another perspective:
http://authoradventures.blogspot.com/2011/11/nook-tablet-vs-kindle-fire.html

I think both the Kindle Fire and Nook 2 will do a lot of good for the tablet market...more competition is always a good thing. Still, I think I will order the Kindle Touch instead of the Fire.

UPDATE: The Kindle Fire just won PC Magazine's Editor's Choice Award.

#16 User is offline   karthiq 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:47 PM

Correct me if i am wrongb but I think the nook tablet is more value for money.

#17 User is offline   10basetom 

• Pip

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:04 AM

Now that the first reviews are in, I'm glad I decided to get the Kindle Touch (since my primary use would be reading). It seems that Amazon hasn't optimized the software enough because almost everyone is complaining that it has mood swings where it gets sluggish (contrary to Gizmodo's initial impressions). Amazon will surely release firmware updates in bunches to iron out all the kinks. I think the Kindle Fire will be one sweet package by the time it reaches the third generation (like its e-ink cousin).

This post has been edited by 10basetom: 15 November 2011 - 06:06 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users