Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dsl On A Fios System

#1 User is offline   cbress 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:41 PM

This is a problem that a neighbor has. This gentleman is quite elderly and is physically challenged. Our neighborhood has recently switched from cable to Fios. He has been using dial-up on an old PC to get on line with PeoplePC. His old computer finally bit the dust and he got a new current model PC. I don't know who picked it out but it came from a local big box store. Even this very basic unit put a strain on the budget.

I got involved by a phone call asking for set up assistance. Now I discovered the problem. There is no telephone capability, no way to stay with dial-up. Option one is have the Fios wireless connectivity enabled to get on line. And to boot he wanted to keep PeoplePC. This gets too pricey. A little on-line search found that a reasonable option was to use the DSL feature that People PC offers. This is less expensive than Fios and PeoplePC while being more than dial-up alone.

He called PeoplePC and hit a wall. The rep at PeoplePC said they had no experience with using DSL on a Fios system. I thought about calling the Fios guys to get an answer, but they have a vested interest in selling Fios I and do not have a lot of confidence that a straight answer would be forthcoming.

So now that you can see the situation, the question before us is "Can a DSL setup work on a Fios based system?"

I have considered looking for a usable older PC with dial-up capability. What stops that is the money has already been spent for a new PC. We could just order the DSL hardware but that incurs another cost if it does not work.

Thanks for reading this far down. You help will be greatly appreciated.

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

I had Earthlink ( dial up ) when I went to FiOS. At the time Verizon offered a choice between MSN Premium and Yahoo ( as well as Verizon.net ). Now they offer Yahoo & AOL. I did keep my Earthlink mail box ( $5.95 per month ). You can install a modem and the drivers and then use dial up or DSL, If it is available in your area. The make and model# of the new computer would be helpful in determining the modem.

This post has been edited by coastie65: 07 December 2011 - 05:54 PM

Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

Don't buy a new PC. If he really wants to keep dial-up, buy a usb modem, like this one here.

Just plug it in, and keep going!

Getting another ISP over Verizon Fios is not likely to happen. If the gentleman wants to upgrade to FIOS, and keep People PC email, that should be an option with very little, if any, additional cost over just having FIOS service. If he does want to go the FIOS route, tell him to check into their most basic 3Mb service, and get it on a two year plan. He should be able to pick it up for less than $20/mo.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

View Postwaldojim, on 07 December 2011 - 05:52 PM, said:

Don't buy a new PC. If he really wants to keep dial-up, buy a usb modem, like this one here.

Getting another ISP over Verizon Fios is not likely to happen. If the gentleman wants to upgrade to FIOS, and keep People PC email, that should be an option with very little, if any, additional cost over just having FIOS service. If he does want to go the FIOS route, tell him to check into their most basic 3Mb service, and get it on a two year plan. He should be able to pick it up for less than $20/mo.

He already has the new computer as the other one died. Should be able to install an internal modem as I'm assuming there are some open expansion slots. I have 20 mbps ( actually 25.5 ) down and 5 mbps up for $33 per month, so yeah that should be south of $20 per month.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:24 PM

When I cancelled my ATT DSL, I got to keep the email account (a yahoo account @sbcglobal.net).
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#6 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:05 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 07 December 2011 - 05:58 PM, said:

He already has the new computer as the other one died. Should be able to install an internal modem as I'm assuming there are some open expansion slots. I have 20 mbps ( actually 25.5 ) down and 5 mbps up for $33 per month, so yeah that should be south of $20 per month.

Verizon is expensive.

And in his post above, he was talking about trading up for an older machine with a modem. Something he doesn't need to do.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#7 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:33 AM

View Postwaldojim, on 07 December 2011 - 10:05 PM, said:

View Postcoastie65, on 07 December 2011 - 05:58 PM, said:

Verizon is expensive.

And in his post above, he was talking about trading up for an older machine with a modem. Something he doesn't need to do.

Ummm, this is a direct quote from the post: " His old computer finally bit the dust and he got a new current model PC ". There are other cheaper fiber services at 10 mbps and lower available, but even with FiOS, if he has Verizon landline, he can use a Modem ( probablt didn't come with one installed. I mentioned an interanl modem as that is my preference, but you can get an external Modem as well, which is easier to set up ( you don't have to go inside the computer ).

#8 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

Also from his post:
I have considered looking for a usable older PC with dial-up capability. What stops that is the money has already been spent for a new PC. We could just order the DSL hardware but that incurs another cost if it does not work

#9 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

View Postwaldojim, on 08 December 2011 - 10:48 AM, said:

Also from his post:
I have considered looking for a usable older PC with dial-up capability. What stops that is the money has already been spent for a new PC. We could just order the DSL hardware but that incurs another cost if it does not work

If he previously had DSL, then the hardware should be in place. The thing is, Fiber has no effect whatsoever on landline service ( I have Verizon landline and the phone is copper off the box at the house to the jack, just like it always was ). Initially, we had both the Fiber and a Copper drop to the house, something to do with the fact it wasn't completely ready. That was in Sept. '06 and the TV didn't come in until Dec. 26 '06 and i think that is when they removed the copper drop and the old box. The point is, by adding a modem, and I'm pretty sure he can, that would take care of the problem.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users