PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: How Do I Reinstall Windows Without A Recovery Partition? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Do I Reinstall Windows Without A Recovery Partition?

#1 User is offline   PCWorld 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:21 AM

Post your comments for How Do I Reinstall Windows Without a Recovery Partition? here

#2 User is offline   QUADICON 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:46 AM

You can always call or go online and order the recovery disks. The only thing you pay for is the media and shipping. They can't charge you for a new license, because you already paid.

Also, even though you can likely use a retail copy, the product id on the PC will not work with Windows XP or better in most cases.

You must have an OEM copy of the OS. You can find them online if you know where to look. It won't be an illegal download because you have the OEM product key, you just need a disk.

I have gone on piratebay and found original OEM images for any version of Windows and used them. Once it asks for the key, then you type in the one on the bottom.

I believe Windows 7 and Windows Vista will allow you to use a retail copy of the disk, but don't count on it. I know XP won't based on my experience.

#3 User is offline   databaseben 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:51 AM

Formatting the entire drive including the recovery partition is not an accidental possibility.

What probably occurred is that the computer user executed a "FIXMBR" which over-wrote the factory's disk boot record and erased the code that would activate the "restore partition"

To this end, if the restore partition still exists on the disk but cannot be activated normally again,

then there are methods to manually activate the recovery partition and execute a factory restore.

for information on how to do this, go to dell.com forums and look for my threads on this issue.

#4 User is offline   BulldogXX 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:10 AM

Once I learned how to make a disc image I had no use for recovery partitions.

#5 User is offline   jeepmanjr 

• PipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:04 AM

Is that a pic of Ahmed? LOL!

#6 User is offline   balayage1vbn 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:54 AM

Switch to Ubuntu

#7 User is offline   SybBadger2jiu 

• PipPip

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:22 PM

if you go to the Official Microsoft Answers site you can find the links to legally download windows, yes you do need a valid CD key, but that will be on a sticker somewhere on your computer.

#8 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:41 PM

View Postjeepmanjr, on 09 December 2011 - 07:04 AM, said:

Is that a pic of Ahmed? LOL!

I hope not, although I imagine that's how anyone feels in that situation (which is why I picked that picture). I'll probably use it again in the future, as it fits so many situations.

Lincoln

#9 User is offline   brocksamson 

• PipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

I have noticed on some laptops that get too hot the product key sticker becomes UN-readable. Good idea to take a picture of it and the serial number just in case of this issue or if it gets stolen, you will have have proof if police find it (good luck on that tho!)
GO TEAM VENTURE!!!

#10 User is online   HolidayJim 

• PipPip

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:43 PM

How about preventative steps? Using a program like Acronis, Norton Ghost or Easus ToDo (free), you can restore an entire hard drive in minutes and all programs and settings are back. Storing the backups on an external hard drive once per week will save your nerves. Besides if the hard drive fails you lose the Recovery partition anyway, so make your backups. My recovery from an Acronis backup takes 10 minutes start to finish. Get a cup of coffee, come back and it's done.

#11 User is offline   jake87571 

• Pip

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:44 AM

yes ..you can find and download the iso files for every version of 7 windows that they have put out...i now have a 4 g. usb drive to allow me to install my 7 when i may need it again...very simple

#12 User is offline   DavidFarrington 

• Pip

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

I did wipeout my recovery partition. I called Dell and they sent me a disc at no charge. The disc arrived by Fedx next day air. I live in Hawaii and that is very good service.

#13 User is offline   WesPrang 

• Pip

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

View PostSybBadger2jiu, on 09 December 2011 - 06:22 PM, said:

if you go to the Official Microsoft Answers site you can find the links to legally download windows, yes you do need a valid CD key, but that will be on a sticker somewhere on your computer.

Looked there. All I could find is that it's illegal and they won't help anyone do it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users