PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: How Do You Choose A Good Anti-virus Program? - PCWorld Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Do You Choose A Good Anti-virus Program?

#1 User is offline   artman 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 15-October 06
  • Location:Kansas City

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

I am currently using ESET NOD32 version 5 anti-virus on my 3 desktop and 1 laptop machine, all running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. My subscription will expire in a couple of months and I have doing research on the web trying to determine which is the best anti-virus software available.

Many years ago I used Norton but it literally took over my machines and un-installing it was almost impossible. Then I used BitDefender for a few years and then I read that it was really heavy on system resources and I thought it was slowing my machines down. I have been using ESET NOD32 for the last 2 years. When ever I read reviews, etc. ESET is always at the bottom of the list although the ESET website says it is the best in independent lab tests.

Last week I downloaded the 30 day trial of Webroot SecureAnywhere anti-virus and I am trying it for 30 days.

Can anyone give me some thoughts on how to choose a good anti-virus program or recommendations? I am currently using the free versions of SuperAnti-Spyware and Malbytes Anti-Malware to keep my machines free of spyware and malware.

Thanks very much!
0

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

  • Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12,210
  • Joined: 31-December 09
  • Location:::1

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:04 PM

Malwarebytes free is only for on-demand scanning, though it's very good at cleaning up malware, and I think super antispyware is the same way. For a regular AV program, Microsoft Security Essentials is my first choice, followed by Avast free. I've been using MSE for a while with no issues, and previously used avast, though I still have it on some family members' PCs. For some odd reason, it just flagged an EXE in the brother printer driver on one of them as malware and put it in the virus chest, but I uploaded it to virustotal.com and found it's completely clean. I reported it as a false positive, and that's the only issue I've ever had with avast. Both are good choices. MSE seems to be a bit lighter on resources, and a bit quieter (it doesn't say when it updates, it only shows up if it detects malware), and both are effective.

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 08 December 2011 - 09:04 PM

Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?
0

#3 User is offline   Rommel 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,233
  • Joined: 22-March 09

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:12 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 08 December 2011 - 09:04 PM, said:

Malwarebytes free is only for on-demand scanning, though it's very good at cleaning up malware, and I think super antispyware is the same way. For a regular AV program, Microsoft Security Essentials is my first choice, followed by Avast free. I've been using MSE for a while with no issues, and previously used avast, though I still have it on some family members' PCs. For some odd reason, it just flagged an EXE in the brother printer driver on one of them as malware and put it in the virus chest, but I uploaded it to virustotal.com and found it's completely clean. I reported it as a false positive, and that's the only issue I've ever had with avast. Both are good choices. MSE seems to be a bit lighter on resources, and a bit quieter (it doesn't say when it updates, it only shows up if it detects malware), and both are effective.


Brian offers two good choices.
Just want add that the free Avast doesn't come with a firewall, only the paid version.
If your choose the free Avast, make sure your windows firewall is on, which it should be being Avast plays well with it.

And the free superanti spyware is an on demand as well.

Wish I remembered the site that tests and rates these against different worms and trojans and false positives.

MSE and Avast rank among the top when I looked last yr.

This post has been edited by Rommel: 09 December 2011 - 08:15 AM

0

#4 User is offline   SpiritWind 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,425
  • Joined: 19-August 06

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:16 AM

Hi :

I believe the "Site" that Rommel refers is the Independent
Researchers at http://www.av-comparatives.org .
Their "Whole Product Dynamic Test" is the One
to check out for security "suites" .

This post has been edited by SpiritWind: 09 December 2011 - 09:18 AM

For the very Best in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com
0

#5 User is offline   artman 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 15-October 06
  • Location:Kansas City

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

I am using Comodo Firewall so I don't need a Firewall application. Is Microsoft Windows Security Essentials a free program and do I download and install it from the Microsoft website or is it included with the Microsoft Automatic Updates.

As I mentioned in my opening post, I am using the paid ESET NOD32 version 5. You and others speak very highly of the free Avast anti-virus. If a free application is very good is there any reason or benefit to paying for an application?

Thanks!
0

#6 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,169
  • Joined: 20-November 07
  • Location:USA

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

View Postartman, on 08 December 2011 - 07:40 PM, said:

I am currently using ESET NOD32 version 5 anti-virus on my 3 desktop and 1 laptop machine, all running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. My subscription will expire in a couple of months and I have doing research on the web trying to determine which is the best anti-virus software available.

Many years ago I used Norton but it literally took over my machines and un-installing it was almost impossible. Then I used BitDefender for a few years and then I read that it was really heavy on system resources and I thought it was slowing my machines down. I have been using ESET NOD32 for the last 2 years. When ever I read reviews, etc. ESET is always at the bottom of the list although the ESET website says it is the best in independent lab tests.

Last week I downloaded the 30 day trial of Webroot SecureAnywhere anti-virus and I am trying it for 30 days.

Can anyone give me some thoughts on how to choose a good anti-virus program or recommendations? I am currently using the free versions of SuperAnti-Spyware and Malbytes Anti-Malware to keep my machines free of spyware and malware.

Thanks very much!


Nod32 is the best paid AV in my opinion, we had a 99.9% infection free rate at company I used to work for. (The .1% was a zero day virus and a bad website that slipped through the proxy)

Microsoft Security Essentials is the best free AV, MS is working on a new version of it right now. (To be better, faster, and simpler to use)

Comodo Firewall is very robust, I use it all the time for the at-risk users in my friend circles.

As far as an alternate AV that is free, I would recommend Avira or BitDefender.
Even the experts started out as beginners
0

#7 User is offline   Rommel 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,233
  • Joined: 22-March 09

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

@ SpiritWind:

Yep, thats it. Thank you.


@ Artman:

Yes, it is a free download from MS website.

http://windows.micro...rity-essentials
0

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

  • Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12,210
  • Joined: 31-December 09
  • Location:::1

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

MSE is free from microsoft's website. I see no real advantage to getting a pay av program.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?
0

#9 User is offline   sksinghsanjeet 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 05-January 12

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:05 AM

Tips for how to choose the best antivirus program for your PC:

Signature-based threat protection This refers to threats that are already identified and detailed in a database. For example, every time your antivirus program “updates,” it is actually communicating with the current virus database in order to find any new virus “definitions” that it might not have had before. The program then refers to these definitions to find any matches in your computer, which it will then work to get rid of. Your antivirus program of choice should have a comprehensive virus definition database which is updated frequently, and which updates your program frequently.

Unknown malware There are cases when a threat is new and relatively unheard of, and will therefore not yet be included in the virus database. Although your antivirus software won’t be able to name the threat, it should still be able to recognize it as a threat and at least quarantine it and report it to the database so developers can create a cure as soon as possible.

Clean-up Any good antivirus program should be able to clean up after it removes or neutralizes a threat. Look for programs that are able to repair files once they remove malware.

Paid versus non-paid There are perfectly good antivirus programs on the market that are also completely free, and they should be as good at protecting your computer from threats as their paid-for counterparts. However, if you want things like technical support and added features like parental controls, firewalls and identity theft protection, you should consider coming out of pocket for comprehensive antivirus program suite.

Expert advice A great way to size up all of your options on a side by side basis is to search online for reviews. Once you understand the components of a good antivirus program, it shouldn’t be hard to find one that’s best for you by viewing expert comparisons.
0

#10 User is offline   oceanstorm 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 05-January 12

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

To choose a good anti-visurs program, u need to consider the following features:

Is it developed by a mature software company?

will it provide you light and powerful scan?

will it take much system resource and slow ur your PC?

will it prevent virus proactively?


MSE may not so competitive with some other Antivirus Products in functions or performance, but at least, it's a free program.

It's really a good choice.
0

#11 User is offline   dude91 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 05-February 12

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:24 AM

If i was you , I would just go ahead and renew my nod32 license. It is effective and fast. Its easy on the system and does what it needs to do.
0

#12 User is offline   Ericg2vg 

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 73
  • Joined: 23-January 12

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

View Postartman, on 09 December 2011 - 09:59 AM, said:

I am using Comodo Firewall so I don't need a Firewall application. Is Microsoft Windows Security Essentials a free program and do I download and install it from the Microsoft website or is it included with the Microsoft Automatic Updates.

As I mentioned in my opening post, I am using the paid ESET NOD32 version 5. You and others speak very highly of the free Avast anti-virus. If a free application is very good is there any reason or benefit to paying for an application?

Thanks!

Yeah i agree with you
0

#13 User is offline   Markqnv1 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 228
  • Joined: 30-January 12

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

I will choose a good anti-virus by knowing how many security options it is providing
0

#14 User is offline   bhurv 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 26-January 12

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

Oceanstorm had the best layout for answering your question. Overall, and based on my experience of these questions, I say you should stick with Webroot!


To choose a good anti-visurs program, u need to consider the following features:

Is it developed by a mature software company?
Most of the companies have been around for a while, Webroot has been around for over a decade and continues to build a strong product. Its newest product, "SecureAnywhere," was not included in the independent test and has since received the highest possible marks on PCWorld.

will it provide you light and powerful scan?
Webroot is the lightest program out there. It is much lighter than Norton or McAfee. I don't even see it running on my computer sometimes and the installation was a breeze.

will it take much system resource and slow ur your PC?
Really, it just stays in the background of my machine and if anything, speeds it up.

will it prevent virus proactively?
Many of the antivirus softwares will block virus proactively, I stay you should keep the resources in the cloud and not bog your machine down. I am representing this product because I use it...go with Webroot and you will be satisfied.
0

#15 User is offline   rain18 

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 50
  • Joined: 25-March 12
  • Location:asia

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

maybe this can help you http://www.ehow.com/...us-program.html
0

#16 User is offline   nonseq 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,489
  • Joined: 09-August 09
  • Location:Phoenix, AZ

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

For my XP machines I use MSE, Malwarebytes, and CCleaner. That combination has worked for me very well indeed.
0

#17 User is offline   DavidBlum12 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 06-April 12

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

If you are looking for a free Anti-Virus program then try out Avast. The other two very good free Anti-Virus Programs are AVG and Avira.
0

#18 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

  • Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12,210
  • Joined: 31-December 09
  • Location:::1

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

I've never heard of that one. I'd stick with AVG, MSE, or Avast.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?
0

#19 User is offline   jonsi 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 28-May 12

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 28 May 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

I've never heard of that one. I'd stick with AVG, MSE, or Avast.



I don't use them too, but my friend say that it's very nice soft. I think maybe I will try demo version of this antivirus.
0

#20 User is offline   ikamedia 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 03-June 12

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:06 AM

I'm using Bitdefender + PCtool spyware Doctor . I'll be buying 1 more laptop and plan to use PCtools Internet security cos heard good things about it.
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users