• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Front Usb Ports Don't Work

#1 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:02 PM

The front USB ports on this case (antec performance plus 660) do not work properly. This occurred with the previous motherboard (intel D875PBZ, a pentium 4 one) too, so I know that's not the fault. I tried a few mice and keyboards and they all worked perfectly on those ports. If I plug in a thumb drive or external hard drive (3.5", has its' own power adapter) to the ports, I get a message that a usb device has malfunctioned. What's going on here? I'm certain I plugged the headers in correctly and such. Again, this is NOT the motherboard, as this occurred with my old motherboard too.

I read that this may be that the pins on some things aren't long enough to reach. However, I plugged a thumb drive into an extension cable into the front of the case and it didn't work. I plugged that thumb drive into the extension cable into the back of the PC, and it worked just fine, so clearly that's not the issue.

I heard that it might be that the ports on the case are only USB 1.1 - but wouldn't it still work, just at USB 1.1 speeds? I think mice and keyboards are only usb 1.1, right? btw, I have a little usb light thing, and it works just fine off the front usb ports.

Edit: My dumbphone charges off it and is recognized properly. My Zune charges off it but the PC says 'usb device not recognized'.

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 02 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#2 User is offline   Skaterninja25 

• PipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

First off i would try switching the port you have the case USB plugged into on your mobo. should be at the bottom of the board and there should be more than 1.
Raidmax 1000W
Asus Crosshair 5 Formula
16 GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator
AMD FX 8150 3.9Ghz Running Water cooled
2 x Diamond HD Radeon 6970
1TB 7200 HDD
Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate

#3 User is offline   MLStrand56 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

Check the USB header vs. the cases USB pigtail wiring. Today double USB headers are "pretty much" standardized. But I've seen mobo USB headers that require 2 connectors, because one set of pins is wired backwards. In that situation, If you plug in a double USB connector, One of the USB sockets will not work.

When I ran into this, I had to carefully swap 2 of the USB pigtail wires in the double USB connector. Haven't seen that prob. in a long time, but I've seen it enough to ALWAYS compare the header pin-out to the pigtail pinout.

MLStrand56

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

Hmm... I was following the directions from the case and motherboard manuals. It has D1+, D1-, D2+, D2- 5V+(1), 5V+(2), GND(1), GND(2), and a neutral something one. Whatever... I replaced the case anyway with an Antec 300. The ports work just fine on this.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   Skaterninja25 

• PipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

yeah the conenctor from your case should say USB on it, you can put it in any of the motherboard slots that have a USB then some numbers underneath

but i just read up and saw you got a different case and all works good :)

This post has been edited by Skaterninja25: 26 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

Raidmax 1000W
Asus Crosshair 5 Formula
16 GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator
AMD FX 8150 3.9Ghz Running Water cooled
2 x Diamond HD Radeon 6970
1TB 7200 HDD
Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate

#6 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

Sometime I'll get around to making a little tester (take a dual-AA/AAA battery pack and wire it to an LED, but leave part of the circuit open so I can connect one end to a lead of the USB connector and one to the USB connector in the case) so I can mess with that case. It's in the closet right now.
Spoiler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users