• You cannot reply to this topic

Quick Question About Setting Up New Router

#1 User is offline   Arther 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hello all,

Recently i bought the Linksys E2500-N router to replace my old Linksys Wireless G router (granted now i am thinking maybe i should have went with the E4200 Linksys vs the E2500, the 4200 just seems to get a little better review than the 2500...humm??)

My main question is do i have to uninstall anything from my old rounter before installing the new router?

I have two computers, one PS3 and severl phones running off my router at any one time which is why i was going for a new generation router with more speed and distance. Plus i like the idea of dual channel with the new router (although i am not extactly sure how to set that up yet).

Thanks in advance for any help!

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

Go into your old router and look for settings for your cable/DSL/whatever connection. If there are any, write them down (you might not need any there). Also write down the wireless channel you're using - I think I had issues with channels 1 and 6 (default), but things worked fine with 11 (I have 2.4GHz wireless phones in the house which were likely conflicting, and most computer 802.11 signals are 2.4GHz, though some newer ones also support 5GHz). Plug in the new router, change the settings I mentioned, and it should be fine. To get into the router's configuration, type http://192.168.1.1 into your browser's address bar. If not, try 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.2.1 As long as your computers use DHCP, it shouldn't be an issue. Note: for things using wireless, you will need to select that network and type in the password. Make sure you use security, preferably WPA2-AES if possible, and if not use WPA2/WPA combination. Use WEP only as a last resort (it's easily cracked).
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   gmnelson2009 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

Two very important numbers you HAVE to get off your old router is your ISP account name and password (or you will have to get your ISP to tell you). I have a linksys WAG320 and the password is dotted out, in order to get it go into the admin console (192.168.1.1)>administration>backup and restore and click backup, when done open the file created in notepad and find the entries for <pppoa_username=> and <pppoa_password=>. You might also want to write down your dns servers(<dhcp_dnsx=>), your dhcp start and end ip addresses (these are the addresses that will be assigned to the devices you connect), and if it exsists the network time server (<ntp_server=>).

The one downside I noticed in the specs for the router you chose is the ethernet ports are only 'fast ethernet'(10/100) not gigabit.

As for setting up the wifi connection(s) you should get 'inSSIDer' (it's free) to find the least congested channel in your area. Since this router supports simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz you could put all your older devices that don't support 802.11n on the 2.4GHz connection (do a manual setup on this channel using the SSID and password from your old system and you won't have to reprogram all those devices for the new connection). On the devices that support 5GHz, you might want to investigate the network adapters they are using, on my 3 year old laptop it supports both 2.4 and 5GHz connections but while the 2.4GHz is 802.11b/g/n the 5GHz only supports 802.11a (56mbs) so I had to choose between fast and crowded or slow and free. I don't know if you can use the same SSID and password for both radios, although you might want them different anyway to be able to tell which one you are using.

This post has been edited by gmnelson2009: 10 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

Comcast doesn't require a username or password (for some reason my router insisted that I put in a username even though it said I only need to do that if the ISP requires it, so I typed in 'comcast' and no password, which worked). I think they look at your router's MAC address - change the router, and it'll send you to a comcast page where you have to type your account number and such.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users