Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows 7, Enable Disc Controller

#1 User is offline   Mitchf3ci 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

I am having some problems installing Windows 7 on a PC that I have built. The computer fires right up, reads the windows disc, and begins to install. I get to the screen that allows the selection of a drive to install windows on, and it says that windows cannot be installed on partition 1 (the only partition). Then, it says that the computers hardware may not support booting to this disc. Ensure that the discs controller is enabled in the computers BIOS menu.
This being said, I have went into the BIOS multiple times and looked but cannot find how to do this.
My computer consists of:
Motherboard-Asus M5A88V Evo
Western Digital 500GB Sata Hard Drive
Kingston 4GB of RAM
Athalon II X2 Processor :3.4GHz Dual-Core AM3 Socket
Asus DRW-22B2S DVD RW (IDE)

When trying to install windows through the Asus DRW drive, I get a message that drivers are missing and windows cannot install. I have downloaded drivers to a flashdrive and windows will not recognize.
Now, I have an External Dvd RW drive that gets me to the same place, but it gives me the disc controller error message.
Can someone help me please? haha

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

Is the hard drive recognized in the bios? For instance, in the award bios I have (gigabyte motherboard), I think it's under "Standard CMOS features". Look at what the SATA controller is set to use (in this bios, it's in "Advanced Chipset Features" I think). It should be set to AHCI or IDE. (AHCI allows hotswapping of drives, including esata, and includes TRIM for ssds, and NCQ which helps, but for internal hard drives this doesn't matter all that much. IDE is compatible with older OSes, and might be easier to set up. Don't use RAID - it's for multiple hard drives drives appearing as one, to put it simply.)
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users