• You cannot reply to this topic

Sony Vaio Startup failure

#1 User is offline   sadiqhashim 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

Hello,
Greettings,

I have a Sony VAIO VPCCW13FD purchased from Canada with Intel Core 2 Duo T6600, 4GB DDR 3 RAM, 320GB HDD,nVidia graphics, but i noticed a problem with the system, when ever i use it for a very long time like 2 hours and restart the system, it will just go off and refuse coming on or it will come on but nothing on the screen, i have to always remove the battery and wait for like 20 minutes then turn it on and it will just start booting. I check if the system is overheating, No overheating. please help give me idea what to do before is too late. Thank you.

Sadiq Hashim
Nigeria

#2 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:34 AM

First, what are you checking to see if the system is over heating?
Second, which video card is in your laptop exactly? There are a few that are known for premature failure.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#3 User is offline   sadiqhashim 

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:54 AM

Thanks for your quick reply, I used my hand to place it under the laptop to check the heat level, is not hot compared to other system with higher heat but works fine, the graphic card is nVidia Geforce G210M with 256MB memory.

This post has been edited by sadiqhashim: 28 January 2012 - 01:57 AM

#4 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:59 AM

Check your temps using HWmonitor. HW monitor will give you temps directly off the chips themselves. This way, if your cooling isn't working right, we can see that.

The 210 is not known to be one of the defective parts. While it could still be faulty, it isn't likely. Please run HW monitor, watch the temps, and place the machine under a CPU and Video load independently. Use something like Prime 95 for the CPU load, and Furmark for the Video load.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#5 User is offline   sadiqhashim 

• Pip

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

I use the CPUID, heat level from the CPU is between 62C min and 75C max after those heavy use.

#6 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

View Postsadiqhashim, on 29 January 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

I use the CPUID, heat level from the CPU is between 62C min and 75C max after those heavy use.

Can you tell me what the CPU speed is being monitored as when it hits 75c? 62c idle is VERY high, and with the short delta between your idle, and load temps, I am inclined to think your CPU is throttling itself. If your fan is not spinning up and putting out some heat, then this sounds like your heatsink/fan isn't working right. The first question here, is does your fan actually spin up? You should be able to hear it clearly under load. If it is NOT spinning up, then I would suspect either a very screwed up setting in the BIOS or Windows, or possibly a bad fan. To do a quick test to see if Windows is to blame, fire up a copy of Linux, and attempt to stress the machine. The best bet would be to open a command line, and type glgears.

If the fan is working correctly, then very likely the thermal paste is bad. This is not an easy task to fix, and involves tearing into your laptop, taking off your heatsink, cleaning the parts, and then re-applying new thermal paste.

#7 User is offline   sadiqhashim 

• Pip

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:44 AM

Hello,

I took the laptop to a computer lab, we did change the heatsink, thermal grease and i went to the support page of my model and updated the BIOS to a newer version R0190Y5 to R0210Y5. the old and the new fan doesnt make any noise, you can feel the hot air only when you place your hand , the heat level is reduced, i play need for speed for a very long time and the system is still cool. The system is still failing to restart.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users