• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

Post your comments for How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc here

#2 User is offline   klkl 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

are there links to iso files for xp and vista too? (there are many of us not on windows 7 yet)

#3 User is offline   buckgodwin 

• Pip

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:12 AM

I too am interested in an XP Media Center Edition backup iso file

#4 User is offline   mseyf 

• PipPip

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:13 AM

Using Magical Jellybean to find your product key may not always be a good idea - when the large OEMs set up the hard drive, they use vendor-specific key that is the same on every drive and is only valid with a specific set of installation files. In a case like that, you definitely need the product key off the OEM sticker on the machine. Magical Jellybean may be useful to indicate what version of windows (Home Premium, Professional, etc) you're running if you're not sure.

#5 User is offline   mseyf 

• PipPip

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

View Postklkl, on 01 February 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

are there links to iso files for xp and vista too? (there are many of us not on windows 7 yet)

PirateBay if you're brave, or Microsoft TechNet if you know someone with a subscription.

#6 User is offline   Lovewindows7 

• Pip

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

pirates bay is great is long as its a ligget make sure u download from is trust worthy ive never got a virus on piratebay

#7 User is offline   Lovewindows7 

• Pip

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

u can get a pirated virsion but youll need the 15 number key unless u can get a key generator is the computer worth the upgrade number 1 number 2 is a computer i buy have window seven 3 is the upgrade worth the risk 4 BACK UP UR FILES ON A HARD DRIVE OR THERE GONE IN A FLASH

#8 User is offline   FascistNation 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

There are links for Vista ISOs. They were put in for some problem or testing purposes with IE at the time if I recall. They are still there somewhere. I don't think any XP ISO were ever authorized by MS. Pity.
Freedom's the Answer!
What's the Question?

#9 User is offline   joeva63 

• Pip

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

I think I am correct when I say this. When manufacturers send pc's out with recovery partitions, those recovery partitions include the operating system along with crapware, etc you just have to remove. Also, the operating system is already activated.

So... if you use this method of downloading the iso, and install using the method in this article, you will have to put in your product key. Since Microsoft limits the number of times Windows can be activated, does using this method described in the article go against the number of times you can activate the software?

#10 User is offline   jrosnow 

• Pip

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

This article saved me! My hard drive crashed and my repair disk was not booting. I followed the recommendation here and had to enter my license twice, but it did work the second time. Good as new!

#11 User is offline   mickey1212 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

The product download link is at a dot NET address. Digital River must have crap servers because it is downloading at 1MB/SEC, so expect a 48 minute download no matter WHAT your connection speed is!

#12 User is offline   brianmef 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

View Postmseyf, on 06 February 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

Using Magical Jellybean to find your product key may not always be a good idea - when the large OEMs set up the hard drive, they use vendor-specific key that is the same on every drive and is only valid with a specific set of installation files. In a case like that, you definitely need the product key off the OEM sticker on the machine. Magical Jellybean may be useful to indicate what version of windows (Home Premium, Professional, etc) you're running if you're not sure.

You can also click on start, type in "winver" and press enter to find out what version you are using.

This post has been edited by brianmef: 03 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

#13 User is offline   SuzieDD 

• Pip

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

Magical Jellybean may be useful to indicate what version of windows (Home Premium, Professional, etc) you're running if you're not sure.

*PLEASE* don't hunt down and install special software just to get your Windows version number.
Ugh.
Just type VER or WINVER

#14 User is offline   Dodoy 

• Pip

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

View PostLovewindows7, on 06 February 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

pirates bay is great is long as its a ligget make sure u download from is trust worthy ive never got a virus on piratebay

Ligget? Lol that sounds painful...

#15 User is offline   RobertKoAodziej 

• Pip

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

Can someone please explain how having those discs burned is legal? I need them for reinstalling OSes on customer's PCs where they have the product key, but lost recovery partition or whatever and I need media to reinstall. I thought it is against copyrights to own Windows CDs without actually purchasing them?

#16 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

Use www.belarcadvisor.com iof you want to find that stuff.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#17 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

View Postjoeva63, on 06 February 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

I think I am correct when I say this. When manufacturers send pc's out with recovery partitions, those recovery partitions include the operating system along with crapware, etc you just have to remove. Also, the operating system is already activated.

So... if you use this method of downloading the iso, and install using the method in this article, you will have to put in your product key. Since Microsoft limits the number of times Windows can be activated, does using this method described in the article go against the number of times you can activate the software?

Usually the first thing you would do is to make the recovery disks. Yeah, yo get al the crapware as you are as you were out of the box, and then the fun of all the updates. :P
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#18 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

View PostRobertKoAodziej, on 28 May 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

Can someone please explain how having those discs burned is legal? I need them for reinstalling OSes on customer's PCs where they have the product key, but lost recovery partition or whatever and I need media to reinstall. I thought it is against copyrights to own Windows CDs without actually purchasing them?

It's probably fine as long as you have a legitimate Product Key. You are not in essence, purchasing the OS, but a license to use it.

#19 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

Fyi, use the license key on the bottom of your computer, NOT the one that key finders find. In my experience, that's the only way to activate the copy of Windows that came with the machine using a vanilla Windows disc.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#20 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

View Postklkl, on 01 February 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

I haven't found any existing links (I don't think XP was ever officially distributed as a download), but I made my own and posted them here, in case you're wondering. https://skydrive.liv...255851B37%21155 Note: For the license key that came with a big-box machine, use the OEM links.

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 28 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users