• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Belkin Setup Problems

#1 User is offline   sen01 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hi, hows everyone doing? I just recently purchased a Belkin n600 db router, and I got to some point of the setup where its asking me to type in my ip adress, subnet mask, and my dns primary and secondary. I forgot to jot it down before I canceled the installation and it took forever, but where can I find dns primary and secondary, it wont let me continue w.o typing something in their input boxes. Thanks for any info, highly appreciated.

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

The DNS servers should be automatically detected. If not, use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - those are the addresses for Google's DNS server.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   sen01 

• PipPip

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 03 February 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

The DNS servers should be automatically detected. If not, use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - those are the addresses for Google's DNS server.

Hello there, thank you for replying. I used ipconfig /all in the command prompt, and typed the into the input boxes during setup but it didn't work. I'm not sure if I should start a new topic or not but I'm having trouble setting up my wireless router. I have a hp g4-1215dx laptop and a f9k1102 belkin n600 db wireless router. I start my laptop up and type in the ssid and password, then it just takes me to a long loading screen and doesn't connect in the end. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, shouldn't this laptop be able to work with this router? Thanks for any info, highly appreciated.

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

Does it work with no security?
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   sen01 

• PipPip

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 03 February 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

Does it work with no security?

I'm not sure, I've heard to try to disable the firewall, but is that the operating systems firewall? From the video that I've seen, the person plug the routers power supply in, then connected it to the modem via Ethernet cable before they used the setup cd, and the light was solid blue, when I do the same thing, it goes solid blue but then goes to amber. Thanks for any info, I really appreciate it.

#6 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

Let's start from scratch. Push the little reset button on the bottom or side of the router, wherever it is (you need to use a paperclip to do this). Second, who is your ISP (Comcast, AT&T, etc), and what kind of connection is it (Cable, DSL, etc)? For instance, I set up one for myself the other day (switched from a modem/router combo to a separate modem and router), and I went through the wizard and did things automatically. In my case, I told it not to use a username and password because comcast doesn't have you do that (I think it looks at the modem's MAC address and gives you their login page if it's not the same as usual). If it's DSL, you probably need to use PPPoE authentication (this varies by ISP btw). You should set the internet (external) IP to be dynamic/automatic. Then, for the network, let it use DHCP (automatically configures IP addresses for your computers), and automatic DNS settings. By the way, you should do the configuration while connected via ethernet (typically, you type 192.168.1.1 into your browser).
Spoiler

#7 User is offline   sen01 

• PipPip

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 03 February 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

Let's start from scratch. Push the little reset button on the bottom or side of the router, wherever it is (you need to use a paperclip to do this). Second, who is your ISP (Comcast, AT&T, etc), and what kind of connection is it (Cable, DSL, etc)? For instance, I set up one for myself the other day (switched from a modem/router combo to a separate modem and router), and I went through the wizard and did things automatically. In my case, I told it not to use a username and password because comcast doesn't have you do that (I think it looks at the modem's MAC address and gives you their login page if it's not the same as usual). If it's DSL, you probably need to use PPPoE authentication (this varies by ISP btw). You should set the internet (external) IP to be dynamic/automatic. Then, for the network, let it use DHCP (automatically configures IP addresses for your computers), and automatic DNS settings. By the way, you should do the configuration while connected via ethernet (typically, you type 192.168.1.1 into your browser).

Hello, thank you for taking your time to help me out. I have Comcast and the connection is cable. I try accessing the configuration, but I'm not sure I will be able to. I'll keep you posted though, thank you.

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

So do I. I don't remember the exact instructions, and this will vary a bit depending on the router (I haven't used Belkin ones, just a few Motorolas and a D-link), but you do NOT need to have any authentication (username and password) for a comcast internet connection. You should tell the router to use a dynamic IP unless you're paying extra for a static one (most home users have no reason to do this, so use dynamic). Once you open your web browser and attempt to visit a website, you might get comcast's authentication page, where it'll have you type in things like your customer ID and username and such. Once you go through that (for some unknown reason it takes 5-10 minutes to configure things, even though it should only take 5 seconds, so go take a tea break or something while you wait), see if you can surf the internet. Once you're able to surf the internet, connected via ethernet, go into the wireless settings and enable WPA/WPA2 encryption with a decent password, then connect something that way (make sure you don't have an ethernet cable plugged in at the same time, because otherwise it might use that instead of the wireless).

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 03 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

Spoiler

#9 User is offline   sen01 

• PipPip

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 03 February 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

So do I. I don't remember the exact instructions, and this will vary a bit depending on the router (I haven't used Belkin ones, just a few Motorolas and a D-link), but you do NOT need to have any authentication (username and password) for a comcast internet connection. You should tell the router to use a dynamic IP unless you're paying extra for a static one (most home users have no reason to do this, so use dynamic). Once you open your web browser and attempt to visit a website, you might get comcast's authentication page, where it'll have you type in things like your customer ID and username and such. Once you go through that (for some unknown reason it takes 5-10 minutes to configure things, even though it should only take 5 seconds, so go take a tea break or something while you wait), see if you can surf the internet. Once you're able to surf the internet, connected via ethernet, go into the wireless settings and enable WPA/WPA2 encryption with a decent password, then connect something that way (make sure you don't have an ethernet cable plugged in at the same time, because otherwise it might use that instead of the wireless).

Well I tried typing in the IP but no internet access whatsoever. I ran a troubleshoot and it said that wireless network configuration doesn't have a valid IP configuration, not sure if that's the solution or not but I also don't understand what that means, lol. Anyways, I have no ideal if its a bad router or what. Thanks for any info, :(

#10 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

You should plug in an ethernet cable to do the configuration. Also, go to 'View Network Connections' (type this in the start menu, windows vista or 7), right-click the network adapter you're using (local area connection is ethernet btw), go to the properties, internet protocol version 4, and make sure it's set to automatically get an IP address.
Spoiler

#11 User is offline   sen01 

• PipPip

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 03 February 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

You should plug in an ethernet cable to do the configuration. Also, go to 'View Network Connections' (type this in the start menu, windows vista or 7), right-click the network adapter you're using (local area connection is ethernet btw), go to the properties, internet protocol version 4, and make sure it's set to automatically get an IP address.

Hey again. I followed your steps and ipv4 is set to automatically get an IP address. I also used the Ethernet cable and opened my browser and typed in the IP and I got to the page for Belkin router setup (or whatever its called). Anyways, I set the connection to dynamic and nothing worked, I reset the router and still no go. Is there anything else that I should be looking for on this page? Thank you for your help.

#12 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

Dang... I can't seem to find anything that tells me, step by step, how that router works.

For mine, I told it my connection doesn't require a login, and since it requires a account name I typed 'comcast', and set it to get the ip and dns server dynamically, and told it to use my PC's mac address (also known as mac address cloning).
Spoiler

#13 User is offline   sen01 

• PipPip

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 04 February 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

Dang... I can't seem to find anything that tells me, step by step, how that router works.

For mine, I told it my connection doesn't require a login, and since it requires a account name I typed 'comcast', and set it to get the ip and dns server dynamically, and told it to use my PC's mac address (also known as mac address cloning).

I looked up reviews for my exact router model and a few did mention that they had trouble setting it up with their Comcast modem, I'm not sure what to make of it, but I'll probably see if I can hire someone to do it. I just hope that the modem isn't faulty. Thanks for your help though I really appreciate it.

#14 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hmm... for mine, I used the automatic setup wizard in the router config and that did most of it. What exact errors are you getting now?
Spoiler

#15 User is offline   sen01 

• PipPip

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 04 February 2012 - 07:16 PM, said:

Hmm... for mine, I used the automatic setup wizard in the router config and that did most of it. What exact errors are you getting now?

Well, I'm not getting any errors. I used the Belkin setup wizard on their website that is for that exact model and it didn't work, at the end it told me to call them. I'm connected to the router, but not to the internet, so I'm thinking there is some kind of setting that I need to go or enable for it to work with my Comcast modem.

#16 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

Can you take screenshots of the config pages involving that and upload them here? (if they're too big to fit in the forum's 750KB attachment allotment, use imageshack to host them and post the links here)
Spoiler

#17 User is offline   sen01 

• PipPip

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 04 February 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

Can you take screenshots of the config pages involving that and upload them here? (if they're too big to fit in the forum's 750KB attachment allotment, use imageshack to host them and post the links here)

I went back to the configuration router page on my web browser, and I clicked on change wan mac address and I clicked clone. After that I went under Channel and SSID and I set the channel to 6 and made a new SSID name. So I went to connect and it asked me for a security key but then I couldn't connect to the internet still, but I just thought I'd make note of that. Anyways I went back through the Belkin disc setup and I just wrote down the text (thought it would be easier), because each page was almost identical.

First Page asked me for SSID and password.
Then the following pages:
Check plugs, then unplug modem power for 15 seconds then plug back in.
Attempting to connect to the modem, this may take about 10-30 seconds.
Waiting for your modem, this may take 10-30 seconds.
Waiting for your modem, this make take up tp 3 minutes.
Attempting to conect to the modem, we should be there in 2 minutes.
Attempting to connect to the modem, some wakeup faster than others.
Just a minute more, and we should be there, continue to prod the modem.
Your modem equires some exta effort, we may need to try some new tricks.
Check to see if the wires from the modem are securely connected, unplug power supply.
Check to see if the wires on the back of the router are connected securely.
We are working hard to estb an internet connection, some modems are tougher than others!
Hang in there we are still trying.
Feel free to grab a cup of coffee, in some extreme cases, this can take another 7 minutes.
This is a tough one, attempting to get the modem and the router on the same page.
We should be more than halfway there, reading your modem's mind can take time.
Still performing connection kung-fu and appreciating your patience.
This is quite a workout! trying lots of different configurations.
Trying to reason with your modem. reading your modem's mind can take time.
We should be just about done, and appreciating your patience.
There is just one more thing to try, trying lots of different configurations.

Then this was the last page here:
Your isp should have provided you with these settings, if your isp did not provide any dns server info. then you can just that one blank
ip address:
subnet mask:
default gateway:
dns server (primary):
dns server (secondary):

This post has been edited by sen01: 04 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

#18 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:36 AM

Somewhere along the line thereshould have been an option to AUTOMATIC install. This sets the default password to just an ENTER or ADMIN Select automatic access for the DNS and it should connect . A hard reset by unpugging the power and hold the reset switch for thirty seconds. A small hole and paperclip will serve best. Only slight force is needed to activate the switch. Powering up afterwards will load the default factory settings. If still struggling, returns are the next option.

#19 User is offline   sen01 

• PipPip

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

View Postmjd420nova, on 05 February 2012 - 05:36 AM, said:

Somewhere along the line thereshould have been an option to AUTOMATIC install. This sets the default password to just an ENTER or ADMIN Select automatic access for the DNS and it should connect . A hard reset by unpugging the power and hold the reset switch for thirty seconds. A small hole and paperclip will serve best. Only slight force is needed to activate the switch. Powering up afterwards will load the default factory settings. If still struggling, returns are the next option.

Well I tried restoring it back factory settings on the config page and it didn't work. But it lights up n stuff, could it still be a faulty router or should I try to get a service to come take a look at it, I'd hate to be in a money hole if the router is faulty though. Thanks for your help.

#20 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

It's probably easier if you can take screenshots and post them. Also, you have a modem, and then the router, right? Try connecting the cable to the modem, and then plugging that directly into your computer. Can you get online that way?
Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users