PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Is Google Chrome A More Secure Browser Than Mozilla Firefox 10 - PCWorld Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is Google Chrome A More Secure Browser Than Mozilla Firefox 10

#1 User is offline   1gynRat258 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 03-February 12

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:20 AM

Folks,

Is Google Chrome a more secure Browser than Mozilla Firefox 10. In other words is it better at preventing hackers from tampering with your system.? Also is Chrome dramatically better that Mozilla on other issues.

Thanks in advance.
0

#2 User is offline   mjd420nova 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,340
  • Joined: 05-August 06
  • Location:Fremont, California

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:42 AM

I don't think that only one level of security be compared without determining other levels and compatibity issues. Layered security makes for better security and a browser is only a part. Perceived ease of use and familiarity can distort platforms into slow and balky loaders with far too many overhead hooks and the like.
0

#3 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

  • Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12,210
  • Joined: 31-December 09
  • Location:::1

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

Chrome sandboxes things and firefox doesn't, so I think it may be better. Personally I use FF because Google and Microsoft put ads for their browsers all over the place and include them in installers like malware (gee.. half the time redirecting me to beautyoftheweb.com when I sign out of hotmail is a GREAT way to make me HATE ie9...), and as a result I tend to treat them like I would malware and refuse to use them if possible. Just use things like Adblock plus and a decent av program and you'll be fine (MSE has warned me about and blocked malicious stuff I ran into before.)
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?
0

#4 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,169
  • Joined: 20-November 07
  • Location:USA

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

View Post1gynRat258, on 05 February 2012 - 05:20 AM, said:

Folks,

Is Google Chrome a more secure Browser than Mozilla Firefox 10. In other words is it better at preventing hackers from tampering with your system.? Also is Chrome dramatically better that Mozilla on other issues.

Thanks in advance.


It really depends on what you do on the internet and how much you know about the evils in the dark corners of the internets.

I like Firefox's Adblocker better... it's more effective than chrome's

I use FF and Chrome side-by-side. Both are level in features, performance, and security is relative (below)

Mac or PC? (key factor)
Do you explore media/blogsites? just internet email?
Do you like netflix/hulu/slingbox? or torrented tv?

If you say yes to torrents, then you will be at-risk for infection. Otherwise, stick to google safesearch and you'll be fine!
Even the experts started out as beginners
0

#5 User is offline   1gynRat258 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 03-February 12

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Folks,

I would like to thank all of you for your input. I need to ask some more questions concerning the answers you provided me.

The operating system I use is Windows 7. My browser is with Mozilla Fir Fox. I will probably be asking some basic questions, so I ask for your patience in that I am a senior citizen trying to go high tech.

In regards to crazy4laptops comments, I primarily use my PC for E-mails, word documents, excel applications, media/blog-sites(electronic newspapers, Google searches, and different websites from magazines, companies etc.). I do not use netflix/hulu/and slingbox. What is torrented TV? I don't think I use it.

I would like to ask LiveBrianD what he means by Chrome sandboxes things? What does sandbox mean? Also what is an adblock?

Again I want to thank you one and all for your advice.
0

#6 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

  • Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12,210
  • Joined: 31-December 09
  • Location:::1

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

View Post1gynRat258, on 06 February 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

Folks,

I would like to thank all of you for your input. I need to ask some more questions concerning the answers you provided me.

The operating system I use is Windows 7. My browser is with Mozilla Fir Fox. I will probably be asking some basic questions, so I ask for your patience in that I am a senior citizen trying to go high tech.

In regards to crazy4laptops comments, I primarily use my PC for E-mails, word documents, excel applications, media/blog-sites(electronic newspapers, Google searches, and different websites from magazines, companies etc.). I do not use netflix/hulu/and slingbox. What is torrented TV? I don't think I use it.

I would like to ask LiveBrianD what he means by Chrome sandboxes things? What does sandbox mean? Also what is an adblock?

Again I want to thank you one and all for your advice.


Sites like thepiratebay have lots of stuff for free, but they are also typically illegal, and you can sometimes get malware from them. It sounds like you don't visit potentially dangerous sites then.

Chrome's sandboxing basically means that it loads webpages and such in a contained enviornment to reduce the chance of it infecting your system. Adblock Plus gets rid of the ads on sites, making the web a lot less annoying (however, websites hate this because ads are where they get their revenue).
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?
0

#7 User is offline   snorg 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,010
  • Joined: 28-November 07
  • Location:In the wild

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

I use firefox with add block plus and NoScript addons. I also use Zone Alarm firewall.

I think using Google Chrome is absolutely absurd, even IE would be less absurd, tho not by much.
Asus Vento Mini Tower Case....Asus M5A87 MOBO.....AMD Phenom II X6 1100T ( 3.3 OCed to 4.1GHz )....Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo....Three Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA III....Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATA III....8GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 2X4GB DDR3-1600 RAM....450W PSU....ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Direct Cu 1058MHZ 1GB 5.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI D-Sub HDCP PCI-E DX11 Video Card....Diamond Xtreme 5.1 sound card....LG 24X SATA DVD burner....27" LED Monitor & 26" CRT TV.....custom pressurized air cooling system.... WindowsXP Home SP3 32bit
Posted Image
0

#8 User is offline   Szczecinianin 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 441
  • Joined: 12-January 11
  • Location:Szczecin, Poland

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:49 AM

Well, Opera is safe, not only beacause it offers antiphishing mode but they patch fastest, too.
0

#9 User is offline   snorg 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,010
  • Joined: 28-November 07
  • Location:In the wild

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

Opera is not bad.
I would use opera if it had addons like firefox.

This post has been edited by snorg: 09 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

Asus Vento Mini Tower Case....Asus M5A87 MOBO.....AMD Phenom II X6 1100T ( 3.3 OCed to 4.1GHz )....Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo....Three Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA III....Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATA III....8GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 2X4GB DDR3-1600 RAM....450W PSU....ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Direct Cu 1058MHZ 1GB 5.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI D-Sub HDCP PCI-E DX11 Video Card....Diamond Xtreme 5.1 sound card....LG 24X SATA DVD burner....27" LED Monitor & 26" CRT TV.....custom pressurized air cooling system.... WindowsXP Home SP3 32bit
Posted Image
0

#10 User is offline   Szczecinianin 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 441
  • Joined: 12-January 11
  • Location:Szczecin, Poland

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:50 AM

View Postsnorg, on 09 February 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

Opera is not bad.
I would use opera if it had addons like firefox.


It has now, see Opera 11. True, there aren't as many of them as for Firefox but maybe YOU create one?
0

#11 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

  • Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12,210
  • Joined: 31-December 09
  • Location:::1

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

View PostSzczecinianin, on 10 February 2012 - 01:50 AM, said:

View Postsnorg, on 09 February 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

Opera is not bad.
I would use opera if it had addons like firefox.


It has now, see Opera 11. True, there aren't as many of them as for Firefox but maybe YOU create one?


It's just easier to use Firefox or Chrome. Let someone else do the hard work... :D
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?
0

#12 User is offline   jerry82 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 17-February 12

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:27 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 10 February 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

View PostSzczecinianin, on 10 February 2012 - 01:50 AM, said:

View Postsnorg, on 09 February 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

Opera is not bad.
I would use opera if it had addons like firefox.


It has now, see Opera 11. True, there aren't as many of them as for Firefox but maybe YOU create one?


It's just easier to use Firefox or Chrome. Let someone else do the hard work... :D



Believe it or not haven't used Chrome until now, I'm sticking with opera as well. It's indeed true there aren't that many add-ons for it but I am keeping my hopes high that this will change in the future.
0

#13 User is offline   henrywilliams 

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 50
  • Joined: 05-April 12

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:43 AM

Both Mozilla Firefox 10 and Google Chrome are same for security purposes the only thing that keeps me with Google Chrome is that Firefox crash and it's usual for this.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users