Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Restore Dell Desk Top To Factory Conditions

#1 User is offline   2godballdaglory 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

I am trying to simply restore a desk top computer back to factory conditions. I want to wipe hard drive clean but the information I keep getting is not working. I keep going in circle with the same info that is just not getting it done

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

What are you doing exactly? Usually, you put in the OS disc (Dell used to include actual Windows discs), and go from there.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   2godballdaglory 

• Pip

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

It is a Dell Dimension 4500S. I am following the info provided by Dell. I turn computer on and press Ctrl and then F11 After Dell logo goes off. I have no disk or software. It is an old machine and I have a blue screen that comes up once I am on internet for a while. thought if I wipe hard drive I could start from scratch and make it all good again -

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

I heard you the first time! lol... I read that "Dimensions made after July 15, 2004 have the PC Restore partition on them". Given the age of your PC, it's possible that you don't have a recovery partition, and only got the CDs (which you must've lost). Also, is it XP Home, Pro, or Media Center? You need an OEM XP disc of the same version type (XP was picky about that - Home, Pro version, as well as OEM, Retail, VLM, etc... newer versions are better). Do you have one lying around or can you borrow one from a friend? (then use the license key on the side of your PC to activate) Note: recovery discs do NOT count
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:25 AM

@ Brian, That multiple post is a forum hiccup and not the member multiposting, so keep your comments to yourself, as it doesn't help the situation.

Hi, Here are the specs on your computer: http://support.dell....ecs.htm#1101572

Judging by those I would guess that it is circa 2004 and came with Windows XP Home. It should have come with a Recovery disk as they didn't have the Partitions at that time as far as I know. If you do not have the recovery disk(s), then you will need an XP Home Installation disk, as LB suggested , then you would have to get the drivers online to complete the process.

Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#6 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

By the way, I should mention that the install disc that he likely has (or had) is an actual Windows install disc, not a recovery disc. (I had a dell dimension 8200 circa 2002 and that's what it came with.)
Spoiler

#7 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 08 February 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

By the way, I should mention that the install disc that he likely has (or had) is an actual Windows install disc, not a recovery disc. (I had a dell dimension 8200 circa 2002 and that's what it came with.)

Yeah, They did do things a bit different. I'm thinking that at some point they did release recovery disks. My 2004 eMachines had a recory disk. The 2006 had a "Recovery" Disk with only the OS on it. It did have a partiton and you made up the disks. Anyway, here is something to look at: http://restore-disk....imension-4500S/

This post has been edited by coastie65: 12 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

You also have an 8200? That disc WILL work on another PC. I had another dell laptop at one point and my 8200 disc worked on it, no activation hassles, didn't ask for the license key if I remember correctly. On a non-Dell PC, it worked, but I had to retype the license key to make it activate.
Spoiler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users