• Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

Post your comments for Eight Features Windows 8 Borrowed From Linux here

#2 User is offline   MichaelPfeiffer 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

Very interesting. As an Ubuntu user myself, some of these features, I didn't even realize Windows had imitated.

#3 User is offline   KLanD 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

To large companies, "Open Source" means "Free R&D".

#4 User is offline   deokanon 

• PipPip

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

PowerIso is not annoying ***waves fists****

#5 User is offline   deokanon 

• PipPip

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

I have also noticed that windows had taken upon themselves to include features that were already available in Linux distros. I wonder if they are making a buck on those lines of codes :).

#6 User is offline   MichaelDewitt 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

I think Steve jobs said it best in the movie "pirates of silicon valley" when he said 'good artists copy. Great artists steal.'

#7 User is offline   LeonLei 

• Pip

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

Steve jobs was a great artist.

#8 User is offline   jazzy007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:55 AM

If it's a great idea, spread it around. Who cares who came with it first. The point is it benefit everyone.

#9 User is offline   linuxrants7xpg 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:17 AM

View Postjazzy007, on 16 February 2012 - 05:55 AM, said:

If it's a great idea, spread it around. Who cares who came with it first. The point is it benefit everyone.

Unfortunately, that only seems to be the attitude when companies like Microsoft "borrow" ideas from others, like Linux or OSX. When Microsoft thinks that someone else borrowed from them then things get ugly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.linuxrants.com
https://plus.google.com/+mikestone
http://twitter.com/linuxrants
http://facebook.com/linuxrants

"42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot."
— Steven Wright

"Dawn: When men of reason go to bed."
— Ambrose Bierce

Spoiler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#10 User is offline   reliefashama 

• Pip

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

I came here as a diversion after searching for software and setup advice on Windows 7. I bought a laptop with win7 on it so I'm trying it out.

I stopped reading at number 2, ISO mounting. Specifically that Windows 8 mounts iso files far easier than any Linux [sic] distribution. My BS detector immediately sounded. To be fair, I have never mounted an ISO on Win 8 nor have I set that ability up in any fashion.

On Debian (which is a GNU/Linux distribution) I have a thing installed called fuseiso and am a member of the fuze group. No effort required. In my file manager I had to add the function of mounting an ISO to my right-click menu, which, is like adding any other function or modifying a setting in any OS - comparatively speaking, no effort required.

Now, I right-click on an ISO file and choose to mount it, it gets mounted, I go into the directory. You folks may call it a folder. To unmount it I right-click on the directory and choose to unmount it.

The only way ISO mounting could be any simpler in Windows is if the OS mounted one when I looked at the icon and thought about it.

As an aside, Windows has been borrowing features from GNU/Linux since at least Windows 2000. Germane to my post, I have been able to mount ISO files like I describe for some years now

As one poster writes - the ownership of the idea doesn't matter, if it's a good one it needs to be shared, or some such. Sure. The thing about proprietary software vendors is that they constantly take (Ahem! borrow) from open-source, change a little code, re-brand it, make a ton of loot - none of which are bad, except for this last one - they keep it locked-up, claim ownership in ways that thwart and deny the community at large and subsequently find themselves forced to attach silly folklore (always in the FUD form) to whichever travesty of the moment they are hawking. It's a crappy process with only one benefactor - them.

In any case, I found no diversion here, only more BS and doubtless an eager crowd.

ReliefAshama

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users