Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I'm With A Doubt ...

#1 User is offline   SabrinaSouza 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

Hello ... my name is Sabrina and I need to know a little something ...

I can install Linux and Windows 7 on the same computer?

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

Hi Sabrina, Yep, you sure can. You can install them on seperate Partitions on the same drive, or on seperate Hard Drives.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   SabrinaSouza 

• Pip

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

Which Cctv system model comes with Adt security systems?

This post has been edited by SabrinaSouza: 14 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

#4 User is offline   SabrinaSouza 

• Pip

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

The Avast Anti virus is really safe?

#5 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:46 AM

View PostSabrinaSouza, on 14 March 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

The Avast Anti virus is really safe?

Yep. I use it in several computers.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#6 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

View PostSabrinaSouza, on 14 March 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

Hello ... my name is Sabrina and I need to know a little something ...

I can install Linux and Windows 7 on the same computer?

Another option: You can install one of them in a virtual machine inside the other one.

Lincoln

#7 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

If it's not too late, here's a longer and more detailed answer:

There are many versions of Linux, but I'll confine myinstructions here to Ubuntu.It's popular, it's powerful, and it plays well with Windows. There are otherversions that I'll recommend for specific jobs (such as diagnosingan unbootable PC), but for learning Linux and possibly using it forproductive work, Ubuntu is your best choice.

You download Ubuntu in the form of an .iso file, which isbasically an image backup of a CD--in this case a bootable one. Double-clickthe file, and a program will automatically come up and walk you through theprocess of burning the CD.

If no such program pops up, download and install the Active@ISO Burner, and try again.

Another option: Use the UniversalUSB Installer to copy the contents to a flash drive--and make thatbootable. I actually prefer the flash drive; it's faster.

So what can you do with this CD--or this flash drive?Plenty, but I'll give you three options:

Just Boot It
Ubuntu is a live versionof Linux. You don't have to install it. You can simply boot it from the CD orflash drive.

This works for getting a feel for Ubuntu, but not for gettingactual work done. For instance, the contents of Ubuntu's Document folder disappearswhen you reboot.

Install Ubuntu Within Windows
You can actually install Ubuntu as a Windows program,although you can't launch it as one.

Insert the CD or flash drive. If nothing starts upautomatically, run the program wubi.exe. Select the option Install inside Windows, and follow theprompts.

When you reboot after the install, your PC will boot Linuxand start setting it up. This can take a long time--especially if you're usinga CD.

The next time you boot, and with every boot afterwards,you'll get to pick the operating system. And if you tire of Linux, all you'llneed to do is uninstall it like any other Windows program.

Install Ubuntu in a Virtual Machine
You can run both OSes simultaneously by installing Ubuntuinside a virtual machine (VM). In a VM, software imitates hardware so that youeffectively have one computer running inside of another.

I can recommend two free VM programs: VMwarePlayer and OracleVM VirtualBox. Ubuntu installs just fine in either of them. VirtualBox ismore powerful, but I find VMware Player easier for the virtual machine novice.(Yes, I know that I recommended VirtualBox just last week, but that was Windows8-specific.)

By the way, you don't actually need to burn a CD or preparea flash drive to install Ubuntu in a virtual machine. Both VMware Playerand Oracle VM VirtualBox can installdirectly from the .iso file.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users