• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hdd Password Reset On Dell Laptop Could not get into the system :o((

#1 User is offline   ltnsmrt 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hello everyone,

I replaced a broken screen on my Dell Inspiron 1300 Laptop and when turned it on, there was this white page saying the HDD Password was not right. So, here I am without it and not much hair to keep pulling off. Please help me here. There are some Websites out there selling the password for $20 or so, but they ask for the service tag # that appears on the screen with the message, but even that is scripted and only gives me the last three digits and the letter B at the end. I'm also not so sure these people are legit and don't dare to send them my money.

Thanks in advance and would greatly appreciate any help.

God Bless!

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

I've heard the password is 'Dell'. Other say that you should contact support and ask for it, as it varies by model.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   ElfBane 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

I'm not going to sugarcoat this. HDD passwords are a PITA to deal with. If the "Dell" password trick doesn't work, then you will probably need professional help.

Did you set up a HDD password on this lappy? If you did, and the machine 'forgot' it, then you will almost certainly need to take it to the shop. And unfortunately, you may have lost the HDD.

There is a VERY remote chance that the CMOS battery may be at fault for this, but I doubt it. But trying a new battery is much cheaper.

Have you searched the web for "removal/reset of HDD password" ?

Calling Dell support may also help out.

This post has been edited by ElfBane: 16 March 2012 - 12:42 AM

#4 User is offline   ltnsmrt 

• Pip

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

Hi, thanks for your quick reply guys. The laptop was given to me by a friend about three yrs ago and it was working fine... stopped using it because the screen broke, and it all happened after I replaced it. Turn it on, and there was the message. My friend does not remember setting any HDD pw. I can go to the setup page with no problem and change things around because there is no Admin pw set or anything else, but the freaking HDD pw. I guess the BIOS and HDD is not the same thing, right?. I also read about unplugging the CMOS battery, but I think that only works if is the BIOS pw. I took the hard drive out, but couldn't get into the battery, afraid of braking the whole case. Do you think these Websites that sell the pw codes are legit? I think already tried the Dell pw... do I need to include the " in it? Would it work fine if I get another hard drive installed in the laptop? I mean, if I going to pay for the pw, I might as well spend the money on another hard drive...maybe another one with more capacity?

Well, thanks again... will keep you posted, and please let me know if any info come across your way ;o) Will greatly appreciate it.

View PostElfBane, on 16 March 2012 - 12:39 AM, said:

I'm not going to sugarcoat this. HDD passwords are a PITA to deal with. If the "Dell" password trick doesn't work, then you will probably need professional help.

Did you set up a HDD password on this lappy? If you did, and the machine 'forgot' it, then you will almost certainly need to take it to the shop. And unfortunately, you may have lost the HDD.

There is a VERY remote chance that the CMOS battery may be at fault for this, but I doubt it. But trying a new battery is much cheaper.

Have you searched the web for "removal/reset of HDD password" ?

Calling Dell support may also help out.

This post has been edited by ltnsmrt: 16 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

#5 User is offline   ElfBane 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:55 AM

1. I wouldn't use the PW reset code sites... unless desperate.
2. When something appears in quotes, it's not part of the word/code.
3. Getting a new HDD is probably what is needed. BUT, you will need the OS install disks. And if that lappy has a Recovery Partition vice actual OS disks, then you're out-of-luck. The Recovery Partition is on the HDD that's locked.
4. Start Googling "Dell HDD password removal", and follow those threads for advice.
5. If you have never torn apart a laptop, you are in for an unpleasant experience. Also be aware that not all lappys have a CMOS battery, so tearing into the lappy to find out it doesn't have a battery is a frustrating experience to say the least.

This is not much help, but Good Luck!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users